What's the rule for College Credits?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What's the rule for College Credits?

I'm a jr. in high school, and as of this spring, my school has a new program where a few local colleges are offering night courses that count as both college credits, and credits for me to graduate high school with. In order for me to take the night courses, I will drop an easy class like film study, where you only watch movies, and take a college leveled class. Now my question is, since I am joining the Marines after high school, is there any way these college credits count towards the Marine Corps?

Make sure the program and the colleges that participate in it are regionally accredited. If they are then you can take those credits to other colleges with you. I remember having AP classes in High School that worked like that.

What are you looking for those credits to count towards in the Corps?

I'm mainly looking for the credits to count towards getting me PFC faster. I just googled it and I read it was 15 college credits for PFC.

If you say so. There's ONE incentive to go to boot and it ain't contract PFC or any other trash like that. It's getting that EGA.

Sir, that IS my incentive! There is nothing I want more in this world than to claim the title. I was just wondering that, If by taking a college leveled course, would it give me enough credits to get PFC. I'm not going in for promotions, or money, I'm going in to be a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by futuremarine129 View Post
    Sir, that IS my incentive! There is nothing I want more in this world than to claim the title. I was just wondering that, If by taking a college leveled course, would it give me enough credits to get PFC. I'm not going in for promotions, or money, I'm going in to be a Marine.
    Absolutely nothing wrong with wanting all the money you can get.

That's why nearly all the bonuses are for reenlistments.

You need 15 credits and then you need it in your contract. If it ain't there, you ain't getting it. If you're not reading your contract you don't rate PFC out of boot anyway.

Regardless, you'll be a boot until such a time as you're not, regardless of whether or not you've made L/CPL for time in.

I have a question. I already enlisted and I'll have 15 college credits at the end of the next semester. Since I already signed my contract at MEPS am I'm screwed on getting pfc through college credits?

Quote Originally Posted by GMill09 View Post
    I have a question. I already enlisted and I'll have 15 college credits at the end of the next semester. Since I already signed my contract at MEPS am I'm screwed on getting pfc through college credits?
    Speak with your recruiter; you should have brought that up a long time ago if you were really gunning for it.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Speak with your recruiter; you should have brought that up a long time ago if you were really gunning for it.
    I didn't find out about the college credit thing until about a week ago. As soon as I found out I jumped into a college course right in time. My recruiter didn't think I'd have any college credits because I'm a senior in high school so that promotion through college credits was never brought up. I told him I'd have 15 by May and he'd said it'd work. Now that I think about it. People who get two referrals get a promotion to pfc and that is after they sign their contract. Wouldn't this kind of be the same? Oh well, I'll talk to my recruiter about it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by GMill09 View Post
    I didn't find out about the college credit thing until about a week ago. As soon as I found out I jumped into a college course right in time. My recruiter didn't think I'd have any college credits because I'm a senior in high school so that promotion through college credits was never brought up. I told him I'd have 15 by May and he'd said it'd work. Now that I think about it. People who get two referrals get a promotion to pfc and that is after they sign their contract. Wouldn't this kind of be the same? Oh well, I'll talk to my recruiter about it tomorrow.
    I'm inclined to believe that if it ain't in your contract, it ain't happening. Confer with the recruiters who frequent the board here if they have time.

I'm not for sure, but I believe if you finish your classes for 15 credits, and they are all acceptable by Marine Corps standard, then as long as you have not gone to boot camp you should be able to get your PFC, as long as you also have time for your recruiters to work it out. I say this because I believe it is similar to the "2 friends = PFC" program, which is not in your contract right when you sign. However, either way PFC is correct, you must have it in your contract before you leave, but you should still be able to get it added in.

Forget the college credits, give the Corps two more killers, then you can get your PFC. Thats what I did. Was a PFC the second I graduated boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
    Forget the college credits, give the Corps two more killers, then you can get your PFC. Thats what I did. Was a PFC the second I graduated boot camp.
    Crap; I tried to do it the old fashioned way:

Thunderdome

Death match baby, get some!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    You have to have 15 credits to get into the Marines without a high school diploma. This does not mean you are going in as a PFC...nope you have to have a additional 15 credits to get the rank..

Thread Information