Dog Tag on Boots
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Dog Tag on Boots

I know I havent earned the title of Marine yet, so I'm kind of ahead of myself.
    But I was just wondering, a while back my friend who is a former Marine told me that only Marines that have been deployed can have their dog tag on their boot, is that true?

Not sure i've ever heard that being the case. They make you wear it like that in boot camp (though not a true dog tag).

Oh, what do you mean its not a true dog tag?

It has limited info on it compared to the tags you get issued when you leave bootcamp. Very basic.

Oh that's cool. I was just wondering, thanks.

Credits
    Savings
    It also depends on the unit you are assigned to. Not everyone is required to wear those.

In my old unit we had to have our dog tags in our left boot. But I made my guys have it in both their left and right boot....You never know!!!!

For most of my career only a few people did it, most just thought it was silly. Then we got a new Sgt. Maj. If he saw the tag in someone's boot he'd ask if they were planning on losing a leg. When they said no, he'd tell them to get the tag out of their boot.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo View Post
    For most of my career only a few people did it, most just thought it was silly. Then we got a new Sgt. Maj. If he saw the tag in someone's boot he'd ask if they were planning on losing a leg. When they said no, he'd tell them to get the tag out of their boot.
    What a tool.
    We should probably stop wearing dog tags for uniform inspections because we don't plan on loosing our torso on the parade deck.

The tag in the boot is a tradition. In fact dog tags in general are a tradition.
    If you get hit they aren't going to use dog tags as a form of identification.

Rule was that you wait until you get to your unit before placing it in your left boot.
    My unit required it while I was there.

Back when MGen Jones and MGen Livingston were the Division Commanders of the 2nd MarDiv. It was an order. Can't remember which MGen had the helm at the time. I wore one of my tags in my left boot since early to mid 90's. In Afghanistan and Iraq, our Bn CO's recommended that we put one in each boot as well as the one around our neck. Never knew when or how your number was going to be called.

I used to laugh at my fellow boots who were in Admin School with me and would wear their dog tags in their boots. Like, what, is a hajji gonna lob an RPG at you while you're learning how to do an AA Form?

I didn't do it at H&S BN in Oki, but I did at 3rd FAST.

When i got to my unit i was chewed out for not having it in my boot. But I had been told at SOI to take it out. It all depends on who is in charge of you.

Quote Originally Posted by KawiGunny View Post
    In Afghanistan and Iraq, our Bn CO's recommended that we put one in each boot as well as the one around our neck

I thought you had 2 dog tags around your neck?

Quote Originally Posted by 119Wrestler View Post
    I thought you had 2 dog tags around your neck?
    Still do,lmfao.

lol

Thread Information