United States Army - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    All Military Branches put each other down and have names for each other that is how it has always been. There has been name calling and at times bar fights. That is the way it has always been and always will be. There is one thing though in the time of need and fight we will fight to protect each other, that has happend before and will always be.

These Colors Don't Run

One thing that still holds true, The Marines have been fixing the army's mistakes since 1775, OOHRAH.

Quote Originally Posted by MadGhost0311 View Post
    It starts with the mystique. Walking into that recruiters office and telling him that you want to sign up. The indoctrination begins immediately. You are told, tantalizingly, about some of the history of the Marine Corps. You are given information about some of the jobs and their requirements - Infantry (like camping, but with guns), machine gunner (camping with fully automatic guns), engineer (camping with explosives and guns), etc.

If you go Delayed Entry, you attend your meetings where the exposure is greater. You'll go through ceremonies, complete Physical Fitness Tests, learn the 11 general orders. When you go to boot, it starts at the USO, waiting for the bus. Everybody is laying around, excited but scared $#!tless. Who hasn't seen Full Metal Jacket (to date the most accurate representation of Marine Corps bootcamp in any fictional film)? That 7'9", 280 lb. Drill Instructor with the razor sharp creases (not realizing they're there, but they are) and the scowl and growl that you can't hardly recognize, telling you to get off the bus and onto the yellow foot prints.

The 48 hours of processing and receiving, the head shaving, the complete and total reduction of physical individuality, the innoculations (Operation Pincushion - A.K.A. shots). Hauling all of this unknown gear around for the start of training and standing on you footlocker in your new house as this screaming, green and tan $#!t storm comes roaring down the DI Highway. Since the physical individuality is gone, the emotional and mental individuality is broken down day by day, being built back up as a team mentality.

Situational awareness is emphasized. Knowing by the way the wind sounds that your rack mate doesn't have his cargo pocket buttons fastened. The scent of starch and boot polish that emanated from the DIs, smelling it even before they busted the hatch, breaking the silence on that most blessed of times, sleep. "FREEZE, SQUADBAY, FREEZE!"

"Bulkhead, bulkhead, do it now. MOVE!" "SECURE THE HEAD, AYE AYE SIR!!!" The explanation of the Marine Dress Blues and the significance of all parts. Why the trousers are blue and the blouse black. The blood stripe (Semper Fi brothers), the insignia on the buttons. The history of the Marine Corps insignia. Learning the Marines Hymn and the significance of the battles described therein.

"A. A. CUNNINGHAM, SIR!" 2 sheets and a blanket on line. 4 recruits descending on a pile of junk and turning it into a rock hard rack with correct 45 degree angles, completing it in less than 10 seconds, DI time. For the uninitiated, that is "10, 9, 7, 6, 3, 2, 1, you should be..." "DONE SIR" All the while, learning history, basic tactics, marksmanship, drill, how to breath by the numbers, etiquette, leadership.

HONOR, COURAGE, COMMITMENT. Rank structure, not calling everyone of Sergeant and above just Sergeant. They've earned the rank, they should be addressed as such. Proper military bearing. Discipline. You are no longer Jonny, Charles, Bob, Stan, Dustin. You are recruit. Not Recruit, but with the lowercase r. If they could make it lower, they would. You get built back up. You might even become a Recruit. If you're particularly lucky (or unlucky), you may even become Recruit Smith, Recruit McVey, or Recruit Johnson. You will not be addressed by any sort of rank until you've earned that right.

When I went through, at the end of the Crucible, I received my Eagle, Globe and Anchor, squeezing it so tight that blood ran over it and down out of my hand. I didn't put it down until we got back to the house, eating with it and carrying gear with it in my hand. I carried 2 packs and 2 m-16s at the end because my hootch-mate broke his foot, and I was dragging major @$$, trying to keep up with the platoon. Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant Mack stayed right at my side, "motivating" me to not quit because of the fun he would have with his new Private.

Things change, they are bound to. They have to change. Marines of today have something in common with the very first Marines. We are all Marines. Not soldiers in the Army, sailors in the Navy or airmen in the Air Force (guardians in the Coast Guard anybody?). We are, we have been, and we always will be Marines. It is a team so unlike any other; a brotherhood so unique unto itself that I don't think even we can put into words exactly what is so great about it. We all try to do so with our boot camp stories, our float stories or our deployment stories, but it's never quite as well understood as we want it to be, unless the person you are talking to has been through it. Even though we've all been through different generations of boot, we're all brothers. The history and esprit de corps lives on from each generation of salty DIs, passed down to the rawest, greenest recruit. I'm willing to bet that some of the things I've said have sparked smiles and laughs or screams and shakes in some of the jarheads reading this. For those of you who might read this but haven't been, I truly hope that one day you will be able to join the brotherhood. If not, I believe in reincarnation. Maybe you can come back and try again in another life. God Bless and Semper Fidelis. Have a great new year!
    That brought chills to my spine, warmth to my heart, joy to my soul and memories of Smokey Bears running roughshod over 60+ nasty things.

God bless the Marine Corps... wait, He already did.

Quote Originally Posted by 29letsgo View Post
    Alright, just to clear some stuff up, I will admit Army boot camp at Fort Jackson can be pretty weak wont lie. And the Army dosent use stress cards, they tested it out and in a few cycles a quickly removed it. I myself did not go to Jackson, I went to Fort Benning, home of the Infantry, and boot camp for me was 11 weeks, its been extended, not including a week in reception. Then I had my Infantry MOS school at Fort Benning with no break. Also, our DS's kept us up till 11 every night, and we woke up every morning at 0430 for PT formation, we ran 6 - 10 miles 3 to 5 times a week the entire stretch of boot camp, and we did not get weekends off, i dont know where people keep getting that from. And we have something similar to your Crucible its called Warrior Forge and its 5 days long. Another thing, ample time to eat, my DS's would barely let you get enough time sit down let alone finish your food. And that picture with the fat soldier, I will admit that is absolutely disgusting and I guarantee he was kicked out, he has no buisness wearing a uniform. And just to let you know, Yes the Army is going to Pay for my tuition at VMI, but heres my dilemma, i have two options available at VMI, Commission a Infantry Officer in the Marine Corp or Commission a Army Infantry Officer with a Ranger option. But all in all I think alot of you missed the point of this thread, I wasent looking for ego driven rib shots at the Army, more mature opinion. Im in the Army, and ive serve around Marines, and Ive seen **** ups and dip****s in both branches, but I can tell you I have defiantly served under soldiers and NCOs in the Army who have my Undying respect and I would follow to hell and back before I followed some Marines ive meet, now to keeps things fair, ive seen some jacked up NCOs in the Army too. My point is i love both branches, and Ive been able to see past all the Image and ego **** and see them both for what they are. There both excellent fighting forces, each with histories that can and should be respected, both branches have lost men, and paid the blood sacrifice for the United States. O, and one last thing the Army is like an unsung hero, it does most of the work, but gets non of glory and credit, humble heros if you ask me. All I ask is for Marine to show some more respect towards the Army, and dont forget that your not the only ones on the front lines kickin ass.

Show some respect towards the army,hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah,and yes we are the only ones on the front lines(KICKIN ASS).

Quote Originally Posted by jrhd97 View Post
    You little lie'n puke. You went to relax'n Jackson, you might have run 6 miles all week, not in a day. You got weekend libo, had co-ed platoons and lived in dorm rooms. My brother - in - law went through there. He was in better shape before he went than when he graduated. He called my sister at least 4 times a week. There was no change in him after graduation than before.
    My Dad is a Marine, joined in '65, his Dad is a Korea Marine, I am a Marine. When we all got together the first time, even with the generation gaps, we were brothers and acted as such. He commented on the fact that he never saw that in the Army.... never. He see's the way the 3 of us carry ourselves and is greatly dissasppointed in the Army. His quote ... It was harder for me to make Eagle Scout than anything I have done in the Army.
    Not busting my brother - in - law. I couldn't think of a better man for my sister to marry.
    While with 2 LAR we would go to Benning yearly to use the Bradley live fire ranges. Us scouts got to go play with the Rangers ..... they are equal to your average Marine grunt on there best day. There is nothing superior about them. They are just doggies trying to play Marine.
    LMFAO.

BTW where is that frickin doggie, ruff,ruff,ruff?

Hes probably passed out on the side of a road someplace from running his 6-10 miles or looking to see what patches would get the most poontang and free beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldonado 2060 View Post
    Hes probably passed out on the side of a road someplace from running his 6-10 miles or looking to see what patches would get the most poontang and free beer.
    If'n ya don't put them in the right place all them patches provide more drag and might cause him to have to exert himself.

Then he'd have to open his nasty suck like the dog he his and let his tongue drag in the dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Maldonado 2060 View Post
    I have to always think back to bootcamp when our SDI would always knock the army, he said they looked like walking Christmas trees with all the trinkets they wear,lol.

I have found the Army to be a very professional, and if you permit "Elite" fighting force in its own right
    "Very Professional" by who's standard? The Marine Corps provides a professionalism one can never imagine unless one is a part of it. Our professionalism is proven time and time again not only in combat as is shown by our incredible track record, but also in garrison and in the corporate world. I don't see too many corporate management programs that are based on the US Army leadership style.

Simple psychological perspective here.....a person will exagerate and overcompensate for his or her insecurities. That being said, why is it that everytime I talk to an active or veteran Army member, he starts the conversation with, "I remember this one time this Marine got his a** kicked by this Army guy......."?

How about another perspective.....if you can't handle a little intermilitary trash talk between the Marines and the Army, then maybe you weren't trained as hard as you should have been!!!

Elite fighting force???? No I wont permit that!!!! There is nothing elite about big numbers of personnel and big numbers of cash thrown at any force to win a war!!!

And one more thing, you said you joined for the tuition assistance blah blah blah. Marines are here to serve...not be served. You are obviously of the mindset that someone owes you something and you wish to be served.

We have a young guy that has worked here for about six years. Two years ago he decide to join the army reserve. Now this kid is quite, weak and scared of his own shadow. He was that way when he left. When he first got back, he decide to wrestle one of our other employees. They were about the same size. Well army boy got thrown around like a rag doll. Six months later my son got home from P.I. Both guys were talking about how Joey (army boy) got his butt kicked by Joe (civilian). So Josh being a Marine now, challenged them both. Not one at a time, but both at the same time. I don't really think I need to tell you the outcome. Everyone still talks about the Marine that took out both of them. I remember Josh standing over Joey saying, "army strong my azz".

We have the best Army in the world and the finest Soldiers. I don't do the Corps any service by bashing the Army.
    Semper Fi,
    Eric

Quote Originally Posted by 29letsgo View Post

When I finish my enlistment in the Army I havent decided if Im going to reenlist in the Army or join the Corp, i honestly have not made up my mind yet.

I do have one small complaint, why does the Corps feel as though its can berate and trash talk the Army

Just looking for some opinions, comments, anything, what do you think of my story and perspective on thing. Please keep it civil, with no rude comments please.
    Ok I trimmed down your post to get to the heart of the rant. Just one thing to say. UNTIL YOU MAKE IT THROUGH MARINE BASIC TRAINING, YOU WILL NEVER BE ONE OF, OR UNDERSTAND WHY WE ARE, THE FINEST, MEANEST, MOST DISAPLINED FIGHTING FORCE/BROTHERHOOD, ON THIS EARTH. If you want to be one of us, and earn our respect, join the Marines. That is, IF YOU ARE MAN ENOUGH. Otherwise SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!!
    Oh and Happy New Year Dog Face

Quote Originally Posted by mcvet57103 View Post

Ok I trimmed down your post to get to the heart of the rant. Just one thing to say. UNTIL YOU MAKE IT THROUGH MARINE BASIC TRAINING, YOU WILL NEVER BE ONE OF, OR UNDERSTAND WHY WE ARE, THE FINEST, MEANEST, MOST DISAPLINED FIGHTING FORCE/BROTHERHOOD, ON THIS EARTH. If you want to be one of us, and earn our respect, join the Marines. That is, IF YOU ARE MAN ENOUGH. Otherwise SHUT YOUR PIE HOLE!!
    After that one I'm pretty sure the temp by you is above freezing.

Semper Fi!

YUT, YUT, YUT !!! GET SOME !!!

Thread Information