Alpha?
Create Post

Thread: Alpha?

Alpha?

I took the ASVAB a bit ago and apparently I did good. I got a 63 and all of my line scores were 110 and above.
    My recruiter designated me as an Alpha. He didn't go into muck detail as to what that meant. Could someone please tell me what it means to be an Alpha, and what possible bennafits i could get for being one?

I was designated a "high alpha"...apparently it's just a way to classify your score, like how in school, a 90-100% is an "A" and so forth. I didn't get any special benefits for it though, other than qualifying for whatever I wanted to do.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Gunner614.....You got an "A"

JZfs720......You got an "A+"

Hell.... I don't really know ask your recruiters...it is probally some secret squirrel recruiter code like shorthand or cryptography.

aye SSgt.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, I was classified as an Alpha also.

My recruiter was telling me it all has to do with their qouta system. They need a certain percent of recruits from each "group" a year.

So for example, just because you score a barely passing grade on the AFQT, you might not be able to join that year, because 30% (or whatever the number is) of the recruits are already Charlies (low scores). So, being an Alpha just means that you scored well enough to not have to worry about not getting in.

Looks like they do it to make sure they don't have a bunch of idiots who barely passed the ASVAB coming in from every recruiting station...

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    it is probally some secret squirrel recruiter code like shorthand or cryptography.
    that made me laugh

Kind of a followup question:

On my ASVAB score report, there are 4 categories:
    MM 119
    GT 127
    EL 124
    CL 125.

What do those mean? My AFQT score is an 88 if that helps.

-First Post-

Quote Originally Posted by Potato Salad View Post
    Kind of a followup question:

On my ASVAB score report, there are 4 categories:
    MM 119
    GT 127
    EL 124
    CL 125.

What do those mean? My AFQT score is an 88 if that helps.

-First Post-

Those are your line scores. They just represent how much you know about certain subjects.

MM = Mechanical Maintenance
    GT= General Technical
    EL = Electronics Repair
    CL = Clerical

Remember all those different subject tests you took? Well each one of these scores is a combination of how well you did on the others. Your EL score, for example, is a combination of what you scrored on General Science (GS), Arithmetic Reasoning (AR), Mathematics Knowledge (MK) and Electronic Information (EI).

Each MOS has a line score requirement, so they are used qualify you for differen't jobs. You did well though, and as far as I know those qualify you for everything... congrats.

Hope that helped.

Yeah, my recruiter said that I might be eligeble for a bonus or something but that I have to go talk to someone else, like his CO or something i guess. I'm two weeks from swearing in BTW

Yes you may be able to score a bonus, though I think it depends on what MOS you contract for. Also, however, you may not find out about the bonus until the day you sign the papers. I had a 90 AFQT and enlisted as an 08xx (artillery), but it wasn't untill I had the papers in front of me that my recruiter's CO let me know I was getting a $6000 bonus. He said they generally try not to offer them as an enlistment "incentive" but more as an enlistment "reward".

So that's that...

If you got over a 110 on each category, I don't think your GT can be 63. I scored a 63, and my higest GT is 108. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by dizark View Post
    If you got over a 110 on each category, I don't think your GT can be 63. I scored a 63, and my higest GT is 108. Maybe I'm mistaken.
    Sorry, My AFQT was 63 and my highest line score was 113 i think.

That sounds more reasonable... I wasn't sure how one could score over 110 in each category, and only have a 63 AFQT. :P

Funny thing is that I took the ASVAB two years ago in my sophomore year. They messed up down at MEPS and its somehow still valid. Its 3 months over the cut off date

Thread Information