I was wondering...
Create Post

I was wondering...

If I could get some of your guys' and gals' thoughts on something. Right now I am a freshmen in high school. I have a 4.0 GPA and I believe that I have a potential to be an outstanding leader. Most of the people I know are trying to push me to go to the United States Naval Academy. I want to go there, more than just about any place in the world....except for Parris Island. I don't know why but I have dreamed of finishing the crucible and EARNING the EGA. I have also thought about going reserve while attending college, and then going to OCS and earning a commission. What I am trying to ask is, what do you thing the best option would be? Having experience as enlisted then going officer, or taking the once in a life time chance at the Naval Academy. I know it is entirely dependant on the person, and there is no promise whatsoever that I would actually be offered an appointment, or in the case of going enlisted, becoming a marine, but I would like to know from your personal experience what you think. I did search the forum to see if anyone else asked this question and there were a few but they were relatively old so I just started a new thread.

Thank you for your time, and God bless

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Gear yourself up to apply to the Naval Academy. There's no guarantee you'll be accepted. Keep your options open. Don't think along the lines of Officer/Enlisted. That's not what we are about.

We are about Character and Leadership. From the Commandant to the Marine next to you in a fighting hole.

Keep working hard. Aim high, make these decisions once it's your turn to the cross that bridge. You're still very young. Keep your goals, but enjoy your time in highschool. Go to school dances, dates, movies, etc... Once you become a senior you'll probably know what you want to do, and what you're capable of doing, whether it be the Naval Academy, college, or enlisting in the Marine Corps. Good luck big guy, sounds like you are a lot more mature then I was at that age. Hell I was too concerned with chasing girls, playing football, and trying to drink beer.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Gear yourself up to apply to the Naval Academy. There's no guarantee you'll be accepted. Keep your options open. Don't think along the lines of Officer/Enlisted. That's not what we are about.

We are about Character and Leadership. From the Commandant to the Marine next to you in a fighting hole.
    Thank you for the relpy sir I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJM1984 View Post
    Keep working hard. Aim high, make these decisions once it's your turn to the cross that bridge. You're still very young. Keep your goals, but enjoy your time in highschool. Go to school dances, dates, movies, etc... Once you become a senior you'll probably know what you want to do, and what you're capable of doing, whether it be the Naval Academy, college, or enlisting in the Marine Corps. Good luck big guy, sounds like you are a lot more mature then I was at that age. Hell I was too concerned with chasing girls, playing football, and trying to drink beer.
    Thanks for the reply Aaron. I don't think I will have to wory about the chasing girls or football thing .

honestly, keep all your options open. I had a shot at the Naval Academy this last summer, but I started my application late and didn't have the grades to get in. It all depends on your own preferences, but I would rank my commissioning routes this way:
    1. Naval Academy because of its prestige. However, you're not guaranteed a Marine contract. Only 1/6 of the class graduates into the Marine Corps, and they hand out all their contracts by class rank. If you want to go that way, make sure you're capable of being a competitive student to get that slot.
    2. NROTC scholarship: You get a lot of training, both throughout the school year and during the summer cruises.
    3. PLC/OCC: Not as much training, basically just going to more OCS than the NROTC candidates. Plus, it doesn't pay for quite as much college as NROTC and USNA.
    4. If all of these options fail, I would make my last resort enlisting. The reason is that once you belong to the Corps, what you want takes a backseat to the needs of the Corps. If the Corps needs you to be enlisted instead of pursuing MECEP or BOOST, then you'll stay enlisted. At the very least you can try for USNA/NROTC/PLC/OCC after your enlistment again. But remember, that's four years into the future and you could possibly be too old by that time.

Of course, take all this with a grain of salt. This is coming from a poolee who last minute decided to try for NROTC and is now in limbo while he waits for that decision. Just keep your options open. If you need more info, I would go to www.MarineOCS.com

Naval Academy is a once in a life time opportunity. Do some research and really sit down and think if that is what you want to do. It is all up to you. We can sit here and tell you to go but in the end it is all about what the best fit is for you. Good luck with your decision.

Thread Information