Getting out soon
Create Post

Exclamation Getting out soon

My EAS is this January, and I still haven't found a suitable job I would like to transition into. I'm an Admin Clerk by trade, but I'm also a machine-gunner as a secondary MOS. I don't know how much that will help my employment chances, but I'm putting anything/everything on my resume. I know it's really last minute, but I need whatever help I can get. Any ideas?

You were admin and you were a machine gunner Hmm

Maybe you should work at the post office

Just dont put on your resume that your a machine gunner you dont want them to think your going to go postal.

You have a 90 day window for quick employment with them if you miss that then theres a year or longer wait.

Pay is $17 to $24 dollars an hour

Before you get out you will go through a TAP course. This will help you write a resume, have you meet with potential employers and basically give you a ton of info to help to move smoothly into the Civ Div.

Question though, do you have a degree or do you plan to go to college/trade school?

Quote Originally Posted by OB MSG View Post
    Question though, do you have a degree or do you plan to go to college/trade school?
    Hes on the right track!

Ive been in and out of school since i got back, now im in till i finish now.

The new GI Bill is going to be your best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by afelle27 View Post
    My EAS is this January, and I still haven't found a suitable job I would like to transition into. I'm an Admin Clerk by trade, but I'm also a machine-gunner as a secondary MOS. I don't know how much that will help my employment chances, but I'm putting anything/everything on my resume. I know it's really last minute, but I need whatever help I can get. Any ideas?
    Everything you have questions about will be answered at the TAP classes.

Yeah thats true TAPS will give you everything u need to knnow.

Keep this in mind "its important info"

Take a pen and a notebook, dont think about skating there only going to give you this info once.

M4l

If you haven't done so already, go to the Marine 4 Life web site and sign up. The Hometown Link, for the area you are going to once you walk out the door, will have some helpful info for you also. My wife does that and she provides a lot of Marines with some good info on schools and jobs. They also have buisness that post job oppertunities on the site also.

1. I agree with everyone else about paying attention at TAPS - it's boring and some of it is self explanatory to Marines, but you will learn some important things. Keep every piece of paper they give you, and keep good notes.

2. Once you have a resume - fire it off to the head of your local Marine Corps League and look into joining it while you're at it. The MCL is a great resource for returning Veterans, an excellent resource for all Marines. I would never send a blind email or fax of your resume; for anything. Find out who is in charge for your local MCL - go see them or pick-up the phone and call him or her, and ask if you can forward them your resume. Always follow up with an in person visit at their next meeting.

3. Network your azz off once you get out and continue to be a great leader and success will find you. Go speak at the local Rotary, Kiwanis, Masons any service club around your home. Those service clubs are always looking for inteligent, well-travelled, and well mannered speakers - they meet usually in a resturant or hall each week in your community. Seek out those groups and go say hello, most white collar business-owners belong to a service organization like Rotary or Masons.

4. I've always found it easy to apply for and get anything (job/position) I want as a civilian: this is due to the confidence I earned, learned, and taught in the Corps. As you leave active duty, remain confident in the principles and parameters the Corps has pounded into you. Hang on to them..... because they work as well out of uniform as they did in uniform.

Best of luck and much success to you in all your future endeavors. BE A PATRIOT, BE A LEADER, STAY HARD.

Semper Fi Marine

Credits
    Savings
    Best of all to you Marine.
    First consideration-consider carefully your options grasshopper-maybe ETS is not the best answer ?
    Go through the schooling provided.
    Network Network Network.
    Where is your H.O.R. ? Maybe I can suggest a company

Thread Information