Dog Handler School Here I come! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Cwalling, congrats on getting selected to Dog Handler School!!! My Dad was a dog handler in the Air Force for 22 years, and he was an instructor at the school for eight years. While you are there make sure you go to the War Dog Memorial. There you will find a statue of Nemo, the famous War Dog of Viet Nam. I had the priviledge of meeting this fine animal when he was still alive after he was retired to Lackland due to injuries he had received while saving his handlers life. I was also present when he was buried with full Military honors in 1973. There were literally hundreds of handlers and their dogs there. A sight and ceremony I will never forget.

i've seen a few photos of the memorial but i will most definetly be checking it out,i've never been to texas so i'll be doing alot of sight seeing/exploring around the base waiting for my class to pickup.

You will have a lot of fun in Texas.

so i'm here at lackland AFB.the K-9 school is backed up,not by much only about a month or so.alot of people are getting RA and there telling us it is very likely we will get the chance to get RA and go home until the week we pickup,which is nice because i'm looking to get LCPL.

this place is FULL of stuff to do,nothing like fort leonardwood.

Congrats, PFC. Dreams do come true. lol.

that they do sergeant! who'da thunk it?

Well, getting your dream MOS is the first step in becoming a Lifer. lol.
    Enjoy your career.

Make sure you stay outa trouble with all that time off, you're gettin to do what you like don't mess it up.

my PTAD just came through so i'm going home oct 31-nov 30th to help out around the recruiter office and see the family/girl.

there's no way i'll mess this up,i plan on making the most of my time here and learning as much as possible about dog handler,maybe go for SSD when the time comes. i pickup december 1st so i'll clue poolees in on what the training is like.

i'll say this,being on an AFB with only 60+ Marines makes you realize how different we truly are from the other services. there chow halls are AMAZING too,you don't even clear your own tray!

Quote Originally Posted by Cwalling View Post
    there chow halls are AMAZING too,you don't even clear your own tray!

Hell yeah, we used to hit up Langley when I was in VA for their chow hall. I had orders once to Goodfellow AFB in San Angelo, TX but had to cank them when I knocked up my girl and had to extend on island.

Anyways, enjoy the good life while you can!

I go to Hickam AFB alllllll the time, cute girls, and they have TWO PX's!!! TWO! Its ridiculous! Go visit their "Dorms" while you're there lol. You'll see what I'm talking about, flat screen TVs, no field days, all that BS.

Congrats on getting Canine! Its a big responsibility that few will ever get to experience. I went to through the Handlers Course in 2000. I'm sure some things have changed but if you have any questions let me know! Good Luck Marine

brian21johansen
    Guest Free Member
    Yea Lackland is AMAZING. I was there for corrections school. Make sure you go out to town and do some stuff while your there too.....go to the River Walk and there's a place called "Cowboys"..........make sure you go there it's a real good time. It's some country bar but they always have famous country singers there and bull riding and stuff. If you wanna meet hot air force girls go to the bowling alley but don't get in trouble by messing with the ones who are still "in training".

Just wondering.....how many Marines are there going to corrections school?

Hi Cwalling, I just received my MOS two weeks ago and wanted to know what I should put in the essay that gets you picked for Dog handler. I find it to be a really interesting field under MP and Corrections.
    Also thank you for all your post. I really enjoy reading them they def. keep me motivated.

Thread Information