Vfw - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vfw

As Chief of the Prosthetic and Sensory Aids programs at VA Medical Centers around the country, I can say for a certainty that no veteran ever went without the prosthetic/orthotic items and appliances needed in their care and treatment as long as there was a medical indication of need, and they met the eligibility criteria for those items. I also know there are many in the government that work their rears off to get those things/treatments for which a veteran is eligibile.

To throw out a blanet statment such as that is just not fair, nor is it accurate. Do you have to make sure you have all your ducks in a row? Absolutely, and the veterans service organizations can assist you with that, and so can a few within the Department of Veterans Affairs that are there to assist you. If you feel there has been an injustice, there's an appeal process, and yes that can take some time, but there are many steps you can go through before you get there, e.g., writting your congressmen to seek their help in obtaining services. . . I've paid the value of some new automobiles for certain prosthetic items, you try to get your private insurance to pay that much for a prosthetic device. I've purchased wheelchairs for sports and everyday in excess of $2,000 each, so I know that if you meet the medical entiitlement criteria, and your eligible, you'll get those things you need.

The veterans service organizations that have been listed can assist you in determining what you may or may not be eligible for, they are there to help and support.

A1D=======Go into the Khe Sanh veterans web page go into 2nd Bn 94 arty web page and read the nightmare acounts that they have had getting what was promised them, you and me. BTW the 2ed bn 94 arty US ARMY was one of units who fired for the Marines at Khe Sanh and saved there a$$'s They were very good at what they did. It has taken me about 25 years to get what was promised me by our government. The government is still screwing with the WW2 vets taking things away. Look at the bones army at the start of of the great depression when they marched on washington dc and the president told the us army to get ride of them. Make them leave. Patton and MacArthur are leading the us army to get ride of them. It has been the samething through history, when the country goes to war they look to God and the military to protect them. When the war is over they throw away God and the minatory. What is going to happen to our young troops when they get older?????????????????????????????

It is called the ****ing you get for the ****ing you got,
    and it leaves you with a big RED ASXHOLE

A1D=======I am not mad at the VA hospitals and there staff. It is the policy makers that I'm mad at and the government. The VA hospital at Salk Lake City, Utah is outstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung View Post
    A1D=======I am not mad at the VA hospitals and there staff. It is the policy makers that I'm mad at and the government. The VA hospital at Salk Lake City, Utah is outstanding.
    Then I would concur and glad you clarified that. I fought to justify my budgets each and every quarter and fiscal year. When they told me to tell veterans I didn't have the money I told them I would close my doors first with a sign on it that says the Director told me to tell you there was no money. . .Go see him. Needless to say he never pushed the envelope that far, and I got what I needed to care for the veterans with which I was charged to serve.

I agree with you however, there are those in congress that want to take away your rights, and it would behoove you to find out who they are and vote them out of office.

A1D Thankyou. I smoetimes get carried away and put words and say words that I should have been more clear.Vote them out you say and others say the samething. If only it was that easy. The way the system is set up we can never vote all of them out. With elections every 2 years and only half of them turds up for re-election there is no way it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung View Post
    A1D Thankyou. I smoetimes get carried away and put words and say words that I should have been more clear.Vote them out you say and others say the samething. If only it was that easy. The way the system is set up we can never vote all of them out. With elections every 2 years and only half of them turds up for re-election there is no way it can be done.
    Winning the freedoms this country has enjoyed since Washington's time was anything but easy. Fighting to save this country will be anything but easy. It's not a time for timidity in this country, but great faith, great strides. . . Anything worth having is worth a little blood. . . Hang in there guys, it going to get interesting and tough out there.

Credits
    Savings
    This thread is about the VFW.

Four of us joined in Tustin California in 1968. We were treated like **** by the old-timers, us all being a VietNam Vets.

The only reason I go to the V these days is for the drinks and chippies.

Credits
    Savings
    So out of all of you who had multiple memberships, do you have preference between orgs? Does it just depend on your local posts/chapters?

Quote Originally Posted by PaidinBlood View Post
    So out of all of you who had multiple memberships, do you have preference between orgs? Does it just depend on your local posts/chapters?
    I actually prefer the Veterans of Foreign Wars, but in keeping with what ggyoung was saying. . . I could just as easily lay the blame for our losses as veterans in our benefits at the feet of our service organizations, as those in congress. Seems there are so many a varied views on who we should support for president, who we should put in congress, what benefits we whould be fighting for and protecting. . . . It's a shame we can't somehow come together in all of this and pull the same way, but again, it boils down to who puts what in our pockets, and as long as I got mine, heck with the rest. . .

Each organization has it's own merits. . . I've worked with and in both the VFW and Disabled American Veterans.

Quote Originally Posted by AL49BGN View Post
    I have never been a member but I was once invited to join.The one thing that turned me off was that they had members that had never served in any branch of the Military.I can only speak for this one Post in NJ but it seemed like just a place to go to get Drunk.I am sure that they do fine work as well but I just didn't see myself fitting in to this particular Post
    Like other service organizations, the VFW has a men's and women's auxiliary that allows those who never served or who didn't go to war to join in that capacity, if they have a qualifying relative who is eligible for VFW membership. So just because there are civilians at a VFW post doesn't mean they aren't legitimate members. When I joined the VFW, I had to show proof that I was eligible. I would hope other posts are as diligent in verifying membership eligibility, whether it be member or auxiliary.

Quote Originally Posted by boomer56328 View Post
    I've been asked about joining the VFW from a lady I know who is former Army. She gave me some info, but I really don't know much about them or what they do. Anybody know about them?
    As far as service organizations go, the big three are the VFW, American Legion and AmVets. All three have web sites you can check out. But the best thing for you to do is to visit all the local posts of all three in your area. A post is only as good as its membership. We have a good VFW post in my town. In the next town over, the VFW post is dead, but the American Legion is going really strong. 40 miles away, in the big city, all three have strong posts. Check them all out and see which one is best for you. All three were looking out for me when I was serving. Now that I'm retired, I want to look out for the current and future generations of veterans.

Marines. Air Force, Navy, Army or USCG they all served and did there duty. If you can't site down and have a drink and good time with them then maybe you should not join. Some of my best friends were in other branches. They all served and a lot of them bled red blood just like me.

Quote Originally Posted by bigalholmes165 View Post
    This thread is about the VFW.

Four of us joined in Tustin California in 1968. We were treated like **** by the old-timers, us all being a VietNam Vets.

The only reason I go to the V these days is for the drinks and chippies.
    well I think that is a shame. I still see it happen today. Some of the old timers can be condescending to younger vets, turning the younger vets off from organizations like the VFW.

Yes it should only be military that served overseas during war but the sad thing is that most of the people that are at the post in my town are civilians coming to drink. The MCL only allows Marines and Navy corpman that served with them to join that makes for a better environment, thats why I'm a life member.

Thread Information