Recruit Training Psychologically
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Recruit Training Psychologically

Let me begin by saying this is my first post, but I have been reading around for a week or two and I haven't seen another post like this yet so I apologize if this is a repeat. Also I believe I have filled out all of the cursory profile information but utmost apologies if I have missed something. My question is obvious I am wondering what there is I can do to prepare myself for the culture shock. I feel that I have prepared the best I can mentally and physically, which is to say I'm really not ever FULLY prepared but I'm relatively intelligent and in the best shape of my life, but what can I do to strengthen my psychological defenses. My brother is at Parris Island right now and wrote me a letter the other day, he conveyed to me the difficulty to "hold it together" so to speak. This may be because this was his first week of training after reception but this aspect still worries me, any advice will be extremely appreciated. Thank you.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    One good way to "hold it together" is to consider the alternative,,,, That ain't pretty.
    Fear is a mighty motovator.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There is no way to prepare mentally for boot camp. You have to keep in your head that this is a game, and it won't last forever. If your brother is only in receiving, and having mental difficulties now, wait until he get's his D.I'S. It's really going to get mental.

If you ever played football or basketball and the coach yells at you? It's really no difference. You have to look at D.I'S like coache's. If you keep this in your head, you'll be fine.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

Credits
    Savings
    One concept of Boot Camp is to let you face one of the most difficult non-war scenarios you will ever face, so that you can still perform when the bullets fly ( which I don't think you can ever really be ready for until you've been there ). It is designed to be hard and stressful, and make you want to quit. You can't really prepare for it, no matter how well it's explained...Boot is something you just have to experience to fully understand.

Keep writing to your brother everyday and encourage him to stay positive and strong and never quit. As Sgt Sparkie points out, when you are faced with a challenge, the alternative is always worse. Learn to be positive even when you are in the worst negative situation. That's all you can do - OVERCOME. Support your brother now, and he will be there for you too.

Keep reading the threads on this forum and learning - knowledge is power.

Good luck!
    C

As darkgreen said there is absolutely no way someone can train mentally for the mindf*ck that is Marine Corps boot camp. They mess with you in more way than you could ever think of, from the yelling, the games they make you play, and the tape they play at BWT. All of this is designed to train you to keep going when the bullets are flying and when all hell breaks loose. When I was there, the best advice we got from one of the senior platoons was live chow to chow and Sunday to Sunday. It made the time go way faster and it was better than living from phase to phase.

Boot camp is only as hard on you as you make it. If you keep making the same mistake over and over, life is going to suck. But if you make a mistake, take the punishment then correct yourself, it's not going to be as bad. Just rememeber it's only 13 weeks and at the end of it you'll be a United States Marine. That Title is worth all the blood, sweat, and tears.

You will be fine, and so will your brother. There's nothing you can do to prepare because your DI's job is to break you down, annihilate your psychological defenses so they can rebuild/reshape your mind into a trained warrior. If you think you are already good to go, then consider it a fine tuning... but if you have never experienced this sort of environment, of course you are going to be in culture shock for several weeks, perhaps like your brother is going through right now.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wigglesdabro View Post
    My question is obvious I am wondering what there is I can do to prepare myself for the culture shock. I feel that I have prepared the best I can mentally and physically, which is to say I'm really not ever FULLY prepared but I'm relatively intelligent and in the best shape of my life, but what can I do to strengthen my psychological defenses.
    Imagine the movie "Witness", with Harrison Ford. No car, no tv, no radio, no telephone, computer, video games! Just your basic needs, electricity, water, food, clothing, shelter, etc.. Your only contact with the outside world is thru the US MAIL, 2 to 4 days to get a letter home, then the same to get a reply!

In this world your life is micro managed, every second of the day! There is no "EXTRA TIME"! The Drill Instructors have 12 weeks (70 training days) to mold you into a basically trained Marine! You are told what to do, when to do it, where to do it, and how to do it, and of course who to do it to!

The mental part is 90% of the training, the physical part is ony 10%. If your bdy is in good shape then that will be a great help to you. But no one can prepare, Mentally, for this training as everyone is different. No two minds are alike! You have to condition your mind to respond to what you are told when you are told, without question! "JUST DO IT"! One second hesitation will draw the attention of your DIs and they don't like hesitation.

If I were you, I would read your brothers letters again and again. read into what he is saying. his letters will change as his training progresses, Trust me! I have communicated with 100's of recruits in the past few months and I love to see the change in the attitudes of them as they get further into training. They go from being "homesick" to "can't wait til the rifle range", to "well I made thru the Crucible", to "I am a Marine"!

Good Luck Poolee, I hope this helps you in some small way.

Dave

Keep it simple. Just tell yourself, "Sunday to Sunday, Chow to Chow"

Learn it, repeat it, Live by it. Thirteen weeks will go by amazingly fast if you stick to this.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Except for Davy Blalock

You all make it sound like prison. Dang don't scear the kid to death. When the dude with the park ranger hat comes out to greet you just morning Mr. Parkranger. After that you will have his full cooperation. That is were the 90% comes into play. Kidding aside, just shut up, listen, do it, don't be slow at anything in fact be the first at everything. A refernce to a COACH is a great scinario. If your brother had problems in recieving he isn't the only one. Facing the unknown does that to most normal people, I assume that he is your youinger brother?????

Fllow the advice here you won't go wrong.

Gunny out

These fine Marines are right on the money.You cannot prepare for the mental aspect of Boot Camp.If you have a psychological flaw it will be exposed.Besides tearing you down and building you back up the Marine Corps way and having you under mental pressure so you can handle it when the bullets fly.The training is also there to weed out those who are unable to handle the stress.
    DarkGreen 0311 is right receiving is really nothing compared to meeting his actual Drill Instructors.But there is no need to worry I am sure your brother and yourself will be just fine.Being homesick and little scared is normal,we all went through it.Just keep working hard and stay motivated and you will do just fine.Part of being a Marine is overcomming adversity,this is something that you will learn.Just write your brother and keep him motivated.You will have it easier then him since you will be able to turn to someone that has been through it.

Thank you all for your time and your advice it was all greatly appreciated. A little clarification my brothers letter was during his first week of training after receiving, I think that the chow to chow advice is the best I can offer him. He seems to be looking at the task as a whole rather than breaking it down. Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement it has helped me come to terms with just "grabbing my ankles" and getting ready. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wigglesdabro View Post
    Thank you all for your time and your advice it was all greatly appreciated. A little clarification my brothers letter was during his first week of training after receiving, I think that the chow to chow advice is the best I can offer him. He seems to be looking at the task as a whole rather than breaking it down. Thanks again for all the advice and encouragement it has helped me come to terms with just "grabbing my ankles" and getting ready. thanks.
    Good luck to you and your brother!

I don't know anyone who went fully prepared and we all have our difficulties even in receiving. Its a different world and you can't possibly be absolutely prepared for whats gonna happen. Every experience is different. Just get prepared by studying and getting fit and the rest will come to you with a little help from your DI's.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Like I've said before,,,, When you jump off a cliff, may as well enjoy the ride,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    "When your up to your azz in alligators it is difficult to remind yourself that your initial objective was to drain the swamp!"

A Marine accomplishes the mission and failure is not an option!

A story that is fitting for your question:

One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.

He said, "My son, the battle is between two 'wolves' inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false,fear,
    pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith."

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: "Which wolf wins?"

The old Cherokee simply replied, "The one you feed."

Good luck!

Thread Information