Having surgery.....
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings

Having surgery.....

I'm having a subacromial decompression (shaving bone spurs,done with scope) done on my left shoulder in a week....any of you jarheads been thru one of these things? I've read a great deal about it ,but that just isn't the same as hearing from someone who has been thru it.What can I expect?

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Ortho is very advanced these days. All that million dollar surgery on pro athletes last decade is now available to all of us.

I'm curious Troutzilla what has led you to needing this surgery?

I've been having some pretty bad shoulder pains that I was guessing was caused by weight lifting. Went to the doc and got some anti-inflamatory meds, started icing my shoulder, and stopped bench pressing, yet it still hurts the same 28 days later. I still can barely move it without pain.

I'm hoping I won't need surgery but the doc told me it may be needed. What were your symptoms?

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    What can I expect?
    Had it done in October 89. You can expect some relief then an onset of arthritis till you lie below the clover!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Now,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Had it done in October 89. You can expect some relief then an onset of arthritis till you lie below the clover!
    Thats encouraging.LMAO.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BR34 View Post
    I'm curious Troutzilla what has led you to needing this surgery?

I've been having some pretty bad shoulder pains that I was guessing was caused by weight lifting. Went to the doc and got some anti-inflamatory meds, started icing my shoulder, and stopped bench pressing, yet it still hurts the same 28 days later. I still can barely move it without pain.

I'm hoping I won't need surgery but the doc told me it may be needed. What were your symptoms?

It's like having a friggin constant toothache in your shoulder.....I did the physical therapy crap and that seemed to agitate it even more. I took a cortisone shot and it only provided temporary relief, I can't raise the arm even with my shoulder anymore. I've also got some popping sound and it feels like it catches on something....more whiskey!!!!

Credits
    Savings
    I've already got the arthritis.

I had the same op done on my right elbow. Been 10 years with no complications. glad I had it done!

Credits
    Savings
    Had my pre-op physical today,blood work and EKG. They already have my physical therapy set-up starting 3 days after surgery which is set for Sept.30th at 1100 hr's...Doc said I would be getting some pictures afterwards...anyone else ever get pictures? My Doc is ex-Amry surgeon, Major,Desert Storm Vet.Will update and will post pictures if postable(is that even a word?)

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Pictures????? You havin a baby?

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Pictures????? You havin a baby?

Highly unlikely Marine...no ,the friggin Doc said I would be getting some snapshots of the shoulder surgery,ain't never heard of something like that.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Take care.

Surgery of any kind can never be taken for granted. (I didn't mean that as a bummer.) I'm sure that you will have a successful and speedy procedure/recovery. All the best.

Attached Images Attached Images

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Just out of curiosity...that shoulder problem wouldn't have anything to do with casting that rod and reeling in the big ones.....would it?

Credits
    Savings
    Just out of curiosity...that shoulder problem wouldn't have anything to do with casting that rod and reeling in the big ones.....would it?

I wish it was , that would make the discomfort a little more tolerable.

I have had it done on both of my shoulders I will say it did help and yes it hurts like boot camp. It was the best think that I did. You will have to push yourself and I mean hard. I that the therapy thing but I also did it at home 3 times a day. Get you a door set up to put a pulley bar and work the heck out of it. You have to keep it moving or it will freeze up and that if a big pain.
    Bet of luck to you and keep us informed.

Thread Information