How do you tactfully (read: peacefully) discuss joining the Marines to your parents? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Credits
    Savings
    Be forcefull, yet respectful to her. Let her know you are joining and you understand she has concerns and fears. Explain how important this is to you. She may never understand, yet she may decide to support you. I have seen some of the most adamant haters of the Corps turn into pride filled mama's when there baby graduates.
    You are at the age were YOU, and only YOU need to plot the course for your life. Go talk to that recruiter and sign on.

Talk to a recruiter. Mine was very helpful with the whole "mother issue" and was willing to sit down in my house and answer all questions she could think of. He even added in some answers to questions others had commonly had.

I guess I am very lucky to have understanding parents. When I told my mom and dad I was joining the Marine Corps, they didnt give any opposition at all, they where acually all out proud of me and completly supportive.

I really dont have any advice for you besides, tell her that you are joining either way, and if she loves you then she will accept the fact that you are joining. And as said before, you cant please everyone so dont try.

Good Luck!

Same boat

I finally turned 18 and am now going to speak with my new recruiter in about 15 minutes and my mom is very against me joining. I still have no idea when, how, or if I'm even going to tell her when I ship off. I share your concern on what your, and my mom will think/do when they find out, but I think your best bet is just tell her. Sit her down, and be stern in convincing her this is what you want to do. She isn't going to take it well at all, but eventually she will accept it.

Man Up but do it with a open ear and RESPECT.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If your mother disowns you because of this. She'll be the one who's selfish. My mother and father wanted me to go to college. They tried to bribe me with a brand new car. The recruiters came over to my house and tried to get my mother to sign for me. My father threw them out of the house. I waited until i was 18 and signed for myself. Everytime i would come home and be in uniform their faces would light up. Even until this day my mother buys me something with Marine Corps on it. Whether it's a watch or a shirt or something. Parents don't want their babies getting hurt,and that's understandable. My parents adjusted fine, and i hope yours will to.

SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

My parents were pretty much the same way. They never went as far as saying that they would disown me but still they were pretty upset. They always said "what if you get killed? You know your grandparents are going to blame us for letting you go." They basically tried to bribe me into not joining. They wanted me to be my sisters. They wanted me to go to college and start settling down. I told them that that was not what I wanted, I wanted to leave. They told me that they wouldn't sign for me and I told them that's fine I'll just wait until I'm 18. They realized they couldn't stop me so they just gave in. When they saw me on Family Day, all of a sudden they were motivated Marine Corps parents. Your parents will come around. It may take them a little longer than you want it to, but it will happen.

Be respectful, afterall you will find that to be something we are. But unless they want to support you for the rest of their lives then just do it. My mom knew it was coming even helped me when she knew she was helping me get sent off. She didn't like it but was supportive. But I never asked my parents, I told them.

She will not disown you but it may be a sore spot for you over the next few years. You have to live your life not them. I lost my mom at 29 years old(I was). And had I never enlisted I would have felt as if I wasted all those years to someone who was no longer around, so not only would I have lost mom but I would have never lived my dream. Think with your heart on this one. And good luck to you

Ok, time for my story, again.

I was in college in '98 when I needed a change of pace. Seventeen years of schooling with only winter and summer breaks gets to you. I knew that I would be joining one of the branches, so I checked them all out. (I'll tell the Army story another time).

Well, I had talked to the Navy and when I was supposed to meet with them with my dad they weren't there. So I asked for a sticky from the Marines and they started asking questions. As soon as I said that I hadn't sworn my first oath, you could hear the splash of saliva hitting the deck. Next thing I know they want to talk and I told my pops to swing back to get me in an hour. I went through the usual recruiter shpeel and told them that they would have to sell my folks, even though I would be making the final decision. So we agreed that they would come to my house to talk.

When I got home I told my mom about it and her exact words were, "Not the Marines, they're the first ones in!" I told her about the recruiters coming over and that I wanted her and my dad to sit and talk to them, (even though I was 22 at the time).

A couple days later, a 1stSgt and a SSgt show up at the front door. We all sat at the dining room table and talked. I mostly listened having made up my own mind. When the talking was done and the recruiters had left, I asked my mom what she thought. She said, "They told me everything I asked for and even though they're salesmen in uniform I believe them. They are all right in my book." My folks knew that it was my decision to make, but they felt honored that I would at least consider their thoughts on my joining.

So, My advice to you is to talk to your folks, sit them down and talk to them. Set an appointment and talk. Explain your reasons, listen to their views, but also let them know that at the end of the day, it is your life and your journey, not theirs. They will worry, parents always do, but they have to let go. If they disown you now, they may come around, but it will their loss if they don't.

Good Luck and Keep Marching.

P.S.: Knock off the slacking and get your butt back to working out!! Fat Marines make bigger targets and even bigger casualties, that's why we don't have Fat Marines!

Thread Information