Thank you!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thank you!

Thank you!

I was at soccer practice the other day and was dreading it. The sun was beating down and I made the dumb decision to wear a black t-shirt and long pants. I was standing there feeling sorry for myself when something hit me. Marines in Iraq are wearing 50+ pounds of gear in 120 degree weather in full uniform with the stress of knowing that they could be shot at with no warning. So I just want to say thank you to all Marines past and present that are out there fighting for us I appreciate it. And to all of you overseas come home safely. I cant wait to join you some day.

Thank you!

I feel the same way. When I'm in football practice and it almost 100 degrees out with all my pads on and we're running it really sucks. But I think of the soldiers and Marines over there and it makes me push harder because I know that I'm gonna be a Marine soon and I have to get used to it. So I too thank you for everyones patrionage and sacrafice and I will soon join the ranks and be a fellow Marine.

that is how i feel also.

YOUR NOT A MARINE SO DO NOT SAY SEMPER FI...THE MARINES WILL TAKE OF THIS....winky wink

Last edited by thedrifter; 09-22-08 at 02:28 PM.

Psh, whatever.

Heat is easy. Just stay hydrated and all you really are is uncomfortable.

Cold will kill you. If any of you are from up north, I challenge you to put on a thin USMC green sweatshirt, any sort of windbreaker, jeans, boots, and a hat, and stand outside in 20 degree weather for 6 hours...

Just stand there and if you're not too ****ed off at your life, then you can thank everyone in Iraq, especially....I dunno...certain Marines going to Wahlid and Al-Qaim in the freaking winter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    Psh, whatever.

Heat is easy. Just stay hydrated and all you really are is uncomfortable.

Cold will kill you. If any of you are from up north, I challenge you to put on a thin USMC green sweatshirt, any sort of windbreaker, jeans, boots, and a hat, and stand outside in 20 degree weather for 6 hours...

Just stand there and if you're not too ****ed off at your life, then you can thank everyone in Iraq, especially....I dunno...certain Marines going to Wahlid and Al-Qaim in the freaking winter!!!
    I would agree with you about the cold being worse than hot weather Lcpl. I was at the National Museum of the Marine Corps a couple of months ago and our guide told us about how cold it got during the Chosin Reservoir I almost pis/ed myself

I'd rather be cold than hot any day. I've lived in the north all my life and the heat sucks, but the cold does not really bother me. Least when it's cold you can bundle up, but when you're hot, you don't have many options, besides hydrate hydrate and hydrate some more.

I knew someone was going to say that.

You can bundle up huh? With what? You just gonna go to the local Wal Mart and buy a jacket when you're in country?

Heat is better, period.

Understood.

Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    I knew someone was going to say that.

You can bundle up huh? With what? You just gonna go to the local Wal Mart and buy a jacket when you're in country?

Heat is better, period.
    You mean to tell me Gortex and a sweatshirt won't keep you warm when it's -5 out? Damn, I guess the DoD made a booboo!

Or you could just use your brown bear jacket. Which being supply you should know about becuase you guys hand it out. Even to Marines going to Iraq in the summer.

Use your issued gear and you will be fine. Poly-pro, Gortex, fleece, brown bear, glove inserts, and etc. You sure are *****ing about the cold in Iraq a lot for someone with an MOS that will be inside of a building 90% of the time and has never even been to that country.

Iraq in the cold is nothing. Afghanistan is harsher in the winter. Period.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewer0311 View Post
    You sure are *****ing about the cold in Iraq a lot for someone with an MOS that will be inside of a building 90% of the time and has never even been to that country.

Iraq in the cold is nothing. Afghanistan is harsher in the winter. Period.

good point.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I am from up north and I've been cold and hot all over the world. I'd rather be hot and that is why I live in Florida now.

If you have water, some food, and a modicum of shade or clothing to keep your skin covered from the sun, heat is tolerable. The Bedouin dress the way they do for good reasons.

But if you don't have warm clothing AND a heating method to keep (or make) your food and water unfrozen, and/or dry your clothing if wet, you are a dead duck in the cold. Lack of shelter in high wind chill conditions eventually defeats any outdoor clothing.

It doesn't matter how well dressed you are, frozen water and food are useless. Eventually your starved/dehydrated body cannot make enough heat for the clothing to do any good. Putting frozen food or water into your warm clothing to thaw only makes you cold faster.

It doesn't take much for hypothermia to set in even if you are fed and hydrated adequately. BTDT.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I've had a frozen canteen, and a bag that doesn't zip. Been in 23 below, and working on tanks at 123. Cold is better IF you can do something about it, but if you can't, I'll take the heat.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    I've had a frozen canteen, and a bag that doesn't zip. Been in 23 below, and working on tanks at 123. Cold is better IF you can do something about it, but if you can't, I'll take the heat.
    Agreed 100%

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Hopefully, I get to do Cold Weather Training sometime later in my career. I know I will be miserable but here is what I've always been told.

"It ain't gay if it's cold." Once you poolees become Marines, you will understand when you have your hands between another man balls.

Thread Information