Prior Service/Re-Entry (Why So Difficult) - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    This thread originally dates from 2008...just so you know.

Prior service recruiter is who you likely need to see. Start with the local recruiting office they'll point you in the right direction.

Everytime I see one of Dave's old posts I get a little choked up. Good Marine.

Yeah...I know what you mean.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    I even tried to get back in - Recruiter flat out told me that the Government would rather spend the time and money to train a new one than to let somebody back in that already knew the ropes. Besides, I was past the age (to even get a waiver for) and he told me that they were still looking for a few good men, not a few old ladies. LOL!
    I came back in 2.5 years after getting out and when I walked into the recruiter's office I literally was able to get back in no problem. Funny thing is I decided that I wanted an MOS that would allow me to get paid well on the outside so I opted for 1141 (Electrician). I signed the contract that said "1141 PMOS" but the they sent me to Japan after my 90 days of RA.

What you need to do to make it easier for you or others you know is order your OMPF from Quantico, and then bring that with you because that is basically your digital SRB.

Now, what with SECDEF Gates cutting the Corps by 10%.....

You are better off trying to get into active duty Army, unless some dumb ass somewhere decides to start another war the Corps isn't taking any prior service.

For any and all Marines thinking about getting out of our Corps think it out real good because it is my understanding that Our Marine Corps is no longer going to allow prior service Marines to come back once your Obligation is Over.. Gentlemen and ladies i can attest to you that there are No Jobs out here in this world paying with a crap. I have 2 sons that are working for me on 4 farms and I thank my lucky stars I can take care of them with homes and food fuel and both of these young men got out of the Corps 3 years ago.. If you can stay in then do so because theres nothing out here right now and 20 years service is nothing and plus you get a retirement.

Stay in the service you will be glad you did...

hrscowboy said it right, I know a coastie that says the same thing, they arnt enlisting near as many they did a few years ago, practically nill. He is reenlisting because the jobs are none around here andhe is one ofthe lucky ones they arnt forcing out.

I'd be hitting 20 years this year,, got a few friends that are still in who are........ and you folks got a war(s) to fight.

Think long and hard,, I'm not trying to get back in, but sometimes I really wish I hadn't gotten out.

SF

Quote Originally Posted by RufMarine View Post
    You are better off trying to get into active duty Army, unless some dumb ass somewhere decides to start another war the Corps isn't taking any prior service.
    LCpl talking from where? I just spoke to a recruiter yesterday, the Corps has opened the door for a small number of prior service Marines to return. I am beginning the process myself. By the time I wanted to stay it was too late.

The Corps is going to have to do something about prior service and normal enlistments as well. In the next 4 years an extra 30,000+ marines from the original surge to 202,000 are going to EAS. Sure some will reup but alot won't,This is either going to leave a big empty spot to be filled by recruiters or its going to be a convenient reduction in force.

Quote Originally Posted by korbinati View Post
    LCpl talking from where? I just spoke to a recruiter yesterday, the Corps has opened the door for a small number of prior service Marines to return. I am beginning the process myself. By the time I wanted to stay it was too late.

At the very least make sure you keep the IRR status,This lets you keep your foot in the door so to speak with your local reserve unit.IMA and ADSW can keep you going for a long time $$ wise, at least if your single anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by korbinati View Post

San Diego, was told several times prior service is a no go, hell, I know Marines that are fighting tooth and nail to try and stay in. But, just like some have said, recruitment will eventually go back up and recruiters will be scrambling to find bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by gunsup0331je View Post
    im currently in Iraq serving with the Army National Guard. And Im trying to get back into the Marine Corp as soon as i get back from country. I will finish my contract with the Guard just as soon as get back should I go to a Marine Recruiter when i go on R and R and explaine to him the situation? Who do i contact to get a straight forth answer if I can get Back in to the Corp or Not? If any one can help me out i would greatly appreciate the help or advise. Thanks and Semper Fi.
    Contact a Recruiter/PSR asap! Try to avoid any break in service so you don't loose any TIG.
    As for getting back into the Reserves as prior service, well I was able to. And I had an 11 year break in service! The previous PSR didn't seem to want to work on getting me back in. He dismissed it as almost impossible. So, I waited about three months for him to PCS and for his replacement to take over. There were several things that could have been possible hang ups for me getting back in. However, this PSR is motivated and good to go! He did have to do some work but within four/five months I was back in. The reason most PS Marines don't get back on board are likely a result of a PSR who isn't willing to do the work to get them back in. I know that my PSR is what made the difference! The only issue was that he had to find a unit that was under T/O for my rank w/an unfilled MOS spot. So I had to chose a new MOS as well.
    And for those that are cautious to get out due to the economy, don't let the economy be the deciding factor for staying in, IMO. When I was getting out 'they' said the same thing. There are no jobs, etc. And that was at the early beginning of the Dot.com boom. Granted, things are bad now and may get worse, don't let that sway you. After I got out, I went into Telacom/I.T. but got bored and changed careers. I'm still getting calls for I.T. jobs and I haven't had an active/updated resume in over two years! There are jobs out there. If you attack your civilian career and apply those things that we learned in the Corps, it will help give you an edge.

Thread Information