Open Contract
Create Post

Thread: Open Contract

Open Contract

My name is Poolie Mathewson. I haven't contacted my recruiter about my question yet, he may be the best person to talk to about this, but it is late and I thought I'd try here first. My ship date is 20081103, however, my recruiter has informed me that there are pretty much zero MOSs available. My goal is to ship ASAP. My dream is to become a Marine. Obviously my MOS should be very important to me, but I'd be willing to sacriface my MOS just to get the ball rolling. Plus I've read that you can change your MOS after some time (I believe I read 2 years). My Uncle who served in the Marine Corps, shipped on an open contract, and his MOS was Infantry. He keeps telling me not to ship on an open contract unless I want Infantry. Infantry is not my first choice, but it is definately somewhat appealing to me. I guess my first question is...if I ship on an open contract will I most likely end up in the Infantry? I am afraid that if I were to ship open that I might end up becoming a cook or something, no offense to cooks, but that is not ideal for me. My second question is...if I ship on an open contract does that guarantee me to ship on my date, or can Poolies with open contracts get their ship dates delayed as well? Thanks for your time Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Ship after Oct 1st, New fiscal year, Choose what you want. Tell your recruter you'll wait,,,,,,,,,,,

Thank you Sargent.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    Ship after Oct 1st, New fiscal year, Choose what you want. Tell your recruter you'll wait,,,,,,,,,,,

Make sure you don't tell your recruiter you don't care what you get,and that you just want to go. He might take advantage of that and put you anywhere he can to fill up spots. My best advice is be firm, and tell him what you want for an MOS.. Well at least a MOS field. You cant pick your exact MOS for active. Just the field. Make sure he knows he can't just use you to fill those spots.

As for you more then lilky getting Infantry. I don't think thats the case. It can be anything. I graduated bootcamp with a kid who was open contract, and he ended up at MOS school with me in Missouri as a Motor-T operator.

No MOS's available, not true EVER. The Corps wouldn't have recruiters out there if there weren't jobs. Alot of Marines do their four years and split, which is why we have recruiters and Marines leave everyday.

The Infantry is the largest field in the Corps. So think about your odds. But unless you want to be a legal clerk or a Cook think about your contract.

I went guaranteed 03 because I could have operated a typewriter or skillet in any branch. What do YOU want is the question.

Thread Information