0351 - Assultman - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Exclamation real deal

So I was looking fro the cutting scores for 51’s when I stumbled on this thread and noticed no one really answered the question that was asked. Cpl Shutt is one of the few that knows whats going on with the recen 0351 field.
    Im an 0351 and have been for 5 years now, stationed in 29 palms. Ive been a 51 both in garrison and in country. No, 0351’s are not lazy and we don’t sleep all day. We do have less field time that nother MOS’s mainly because the weapons we use in the field are not the easiest to get a hold of. On the other hand the 0311 can go to the field more frequently because 55.6 is not a hard ammuntion to get. 0311’s can be easily transported to the field in 7 ton or high back vehicles but we need actual hard top HMMWV’s that can “safely” (according to the USMC) trasport us and our equipment. With the vehicles come another logistic monster. So logistically its harder so we go out fewer times.
    When I first joined in 04, 0351’s had the SMAW, Javelin, and demolitions. Now the Javelin has been moved over the the 0352’s (TOW Gunner) and demolitions are more of an EOD resposibility. Like CPL Shutt said, 0351 is a dead MOS. If I wer to reenlist (which im not) id have to make a lat move (MOS change) to another infantry MOS meaning id haveto go through ITB again unless I become an 0311.
    0351’s are found in a Wpns. Plt. That are attached with the line companys or also with the Wpns. Co. . In line co. an 0351 sticks mainly to their actual job of the SMAW as they are attached to the diff 0311 plt’s within that co. . An 0351 in a Wpns Co. becomes more of an 0311 and 0331 (riflemen, machinegunner). There they are organized in platoons which is pretty much a mounted unit with nothing more than m16/m4 and machinguns from 249 to m2. Ive been in both so I know this for a fact. When your with wps co. your more of an 11 0r 31 mainly because of the war right now.
    It’s a good fun and yes, a bit hard on the mathside when dealing with demo but in Iraq now you wont be using any of that. I did not see one SMAW, Javelin, or demo that wasn’t EOD’s this last deployment. I hope my reply is usefull. Sorry for the misspelling. I don’t think ill ever log back on here but ask if u need just in case.

0351 MOS school was awesome, a lot of I guys I were with (0352s) went to Cuba.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by frankls View Post
    So I was looking fro the cutting scores for 51’s when I stumbled on this thread and noticed no one really answered the question that was asked. Cpl Shutt is one of the few that knows whats going on with the recen 0351 field.

Im an 0351 and have been for 5 years now, stationed in 29 palms. Ive been a 51 both in garrison and in country. No, 0351’s are not lazy and we don’t sleep all day. We do have less field time that nother MOS’s mainly because the weapons we use in the field are not the easiest to get a hold of. On the other hand the 0311 can go to the field more frequently because 55.6 is not a hard ammuntion to get. 0311’s can be easily transported to the field in 7 ton or high back vehicles but we need actual hard top HMMWV’s that can “safely” (according to the USMC) trasport us and our equipment. With the vehicles come another logistic monster. So logistically its harder so we go out fewer times.

When I first joined in 04, 0351’s had the SMAW, Javelin, and demolitions. Now the Javelin has been moved over the the 0352’s (TOW Gunner) and demolitions are more of an EOD resposibility. Like CPL Shutt said, 0351 is a dead MOS. If I wer to reenlist (which im not) id have to make a lat move (MOS change) to another infantry MOS meaning id haveto go through ITB again unless I become an 0311.
    0351’s are found in a Wpns. Plt. That are attached with the line companys or also with the Wpns. Co. . In line co. an 0351 sticks mainly to their actual job of the SMAW as they are attached to the diff 0311 plt’s within that co. . An 0351 in a Wpns Co. becomes more of an 0311 and 0331 (riflemen, machinegunner). There they are organized in platoons which is pretty much a mounted unit with nothing more than m16/m4 and machinguns from 249 to m2. Ive been in both so I know this for a fact. When your with wps co. your more of an 11 0r 31 mainly because of the war right now.
    It’s a good fun and yes, a bit hard on the mathside when dealing with demo but in Iraq now you wont be using any of that. I did not see one SMAW, Javelin, or demo that wasn’t EOD’s this last deployment. I hope my reply is usefull. Sorry for the misspelling. I don’t think ill ever log back on here but ask if u need just in case.
    [/quote]

ps-here's the link for the scores for all MOS's

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal..._schema=PORTAL

All in all that is pretty accurate but "dead" MOS is a misnomer. They are still coming out of SOI and in fact just this summer stood up an AIT course such as IMLC or IMGLC out here. Having said that, the MOS is in a rut and has a hazy future. Last year there was the wholesale reclassing of some 51's to 52 which the 03xx monitor said was an attempt to begin killing it. Basically there are a lot of mixed messsages floating down from HQMC and the scuttlebutt tends to snowball in the absence of official "Word". We also have to be careful to assume any of our experiences represent the whole field. For example, our assault section (line Co) went out exactly as much as the rifle platoons, we just worked on different stuff when out there. If a range's regs prohibited HE, we used training rounds. In the absence of that we used spotting rounds. The key was for the gun teams and squads to get the feel of integrating with a platoon and utilizing our systems in conventional and other situations.

Not sure about the safety restrictions on transporting Marines. Our personnel and SMAWs travelled in everything with wheels or rotors. The rockets of course must be transported properly, but we took extra precautions, especially in helos. The scariest stateside moment of my life was watching the cap of a rocket fall off in a helo.. Needless to say that NEVER happened again. Also, fore us, combat engineers have taken over some demo as well. i remember having to have some guy from CEB "supervise" me blow up a palm tree in country. Dumb. Anyway, like I said we all have different experiences with the same thing.

s/f

Last edited by PaidinBlood; 01-04-09 at 04:04 PM. Reason: added a link. cheers!

Credits
    Savings

All in all that is pretty accurate but "dead" MOS is a misnomer. They are still coming out of SOI and in fact just this summer stood up an AIT course such as IMLC or IMGLC out here. Having said that, the MOS is in a rut and has a hazy future. Last year there was the wholesale reclassing of some 51's to 52 which the 03xx monitor said was an attempt to begin killing it. Basically there are a lot of mixed messsages floating down from HQMC and the scuttlebutt tends to snowball in the absence of official "Word". We also have to be careful to assume any of our experiences represent the whole field. For example, our assault section (line Co) went out exactly as much as the rifle platoons, we just worked on different stuff when out there. If a range's regs prohibited HE, we used training rounds. In the absence of that we used spotting rounds. The key was for the gun teams and squads to get the feel of integrating with a platoon and utilizing our systems in conventional and other situations.

Not sure about the safety restrictions on transporting Marines. Our personnel and SMAWs travelled in everything with wheels or rotors. The rockets of course must be transported properly, but we took extra precautions, especially in helos. The scariest stateside moment of my life was watching the cap of a rocket fall off in a helo.. Needless to say that NEVER happened again. Also, fore us, combat engineers have taken over some demo as well. i remember having to have some guy from CEB "supervise" me blow up a palm tree in country. Dumb. Anyway, like I said we all have different experiences with the same thing.

s/f

Credits
    Savings

ps-here's the link for the scores for all MOS's

https://www.manpower.usmc.mil/portal..._schema=PORTAL

s/f

Thread Information