See you all in 3 months - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Thanks for the update. Tell him we are wishing him a speedy recovery, and Never Quit!

I know I am not a poolee so I should not be posting but I got a letter from Josh today. He said he will probably be graduating around Feb or March now. He finally saw the doctor before the final PFT and the crucible as it had been hurting for weeks. The doctors said he should heal and be fine if he stays off his leg.

He sounded down but also sounded like he was ok. I am writing to him and trying to help keep his spirits up. Lets think positive, he will be a Marine by February

"It sucks, but as long as I will be a Marine, that's all that matters" quoting Josh.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I've been writing Josh as well the entire time he's been on the Island. He's got quite a few people he's writing from what I understand -- me, his mom, and many other friends and family.

I am also trying to keep his spirits up and his mom and I have teamed up on sending him things like stamps, magazines, books and other items. I've sent our four or five letters this week.

Having done some research this week on his injury, a femoral neck fracture, it is totally realistic that he could be a Marine by February -- it's a two to three month recovery time depending on various factors. My thinking looking at the graduation dates would be the earliest realistic pick up could be mid-January with Bravo Co and graduate Jan. 30. I told him that in the letter I wrote today because it can't hurt to have a goal.

He's been on crutches almost three weeks now so I would imagine he'll be off them by this time next week at the earliest.

With two weeks left of training, basically the final PFT, Crucible, Marine Week and graduation I would imagine the Marine Corps would want to see him finish.

I am sure his letters will continue to get better.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OK. So I was a little optimistic a month ago. Heh. Josh is getting weaned off the crutches now as it took longer for him to be able to put weight on his injured hip than I thought it would. But he is healing up, it looks like he will not need surgery, and if all goes well he will be back in training by the end of February (about six weeks from the day he wrote the letter) according to the last letter his mom got earlier this week.

He's been doing physical therapy as well as getting in the pool and reading a lot. I've sent him five Marine Corps books at this point and a bunch of magazines as well as writing as many letters as I can. He seems to be determined to get back into training and finish what he started so I'm pleased about that.

His mom and little bro visited him on New Year's Day. She sent me a few photos. I'm going to post one ... if it's not OK to have it up, please feel free to remove it, mods.

By the he graduates he'll have spent a good six months on the Island. But what's a little detour in life? Personally I feel like it's made him a stronger and better person and hopefully it'll be all the sweeter for him when he does earn the Title.

Anyway, just thought everyone would like an update on RCT Josh T.

I didn't know him before he shipped, but it sounds like he's putting up one hell of a fight! It's great that he has family and friends like you to keep him Moto to get off the island with the Title.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Last update from me. Josh made the call yesterday to his family that he is returning to training on Monday, Feb. 16, and will graduate March 6. I also got a letter from him yesterday and he seems in good spirits, ready to get out there, finish recruit training and finally earn the title.
    Hopefully next time he'll be doing the update himself.

well i'm finally home. went to Parris Island on 080908, got home 090702

I spent 10 months n a 3 months bootcamp, injured my right hip 3 diff times, and got med discharged sent home with 30 % disability and get paid for 18 months tax free then re evaluated n 18 months jan '11. if they find me fit, i can go back and enlist IF i choose to (start over bootcamp at TD-0) , and they stop payin me. if they find me unfit still, i either stay on temp retirement list and get paid for another 18 months, or if they find me perm unfit, i get paid for life

i would have rather earned the Title and the at least 4 year career, but I guess everything happens for a reason, theres a plan for everyone, and for some reason, I just wasnt picked to make it.

I made it to TD 60,64, and 58. with Delta, Fox, and Charlie Co. I did final testing twice, final drill twice, the rifle range, BWT, numerous PFTs, almost the full 2 days of the Crucible, was in STC/MRP 3 diff times, and finally PEB for about 2 months and sent home with a PEB medical discharge.

sadly, I'm an expert on recruit training. if anyone needs any tips or info or help on Recruit Training, throw them my way, or tell them of this thread, or to pm me. Who else better to help poolees, and civilians on the fence debating enlisting, than a 10 month former recruit.

My final orders/discharge says LCPL E-3 because i was contract PFC, and spent at least 9 months on the Island. My SDI in PEB showed me before I left that it said E-3 next to my name in his computer system.

Josh Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Good to go Josh! Never Quit!
    something I definitely did not do

Marine Friend Free Member Cressler's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    wow that sucks

Thread Information