I Just Don't Get It - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I am joining not to get recognision from society, but to serve my country. my thoughts are.. the majority of people will never understand this, they will never appreciate what we do(or will do in my case) so dont even bother what they think, just serve to the best of your ability no matter who recognises what you are doing and know in your heart that you are protecting those people and the freedom they take for granted even if they dont care.

Just my two cents.

You may be right Joe, but it doesn't really matter where it happened, what matters is that a "Military" media entity still tried to disgrace the men of that platoon with complete bias for the whole nation to see.

Credits
    Savings
    i served for eight years myself and i never cared what people thought.... being in the service wasn't very popular back then and so what.... i was just another jarhead. we didn't have all of the flag waving that we have now.... everyones' a hero now it seems... i just liked the corps.... a good marine doesn't want war or killing, but he's there in case it's ever upon us. a good marine fights to end wars and killing. we are the body armor of a nation... it's never about us.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    He may have dipped it into a smart woman and caught something good?
    LCpl Achped Wolf is the future shepherd!
    SFi
    C
    It was Eve - HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by SlaveToTheCorps View Post
    This has gotten quite long-winded and for that I apologize, but may I ask you a question? What have you done, besides enlist, that makes you stand-out in a community that doesn’t publicly recognize it’s Veterans?

Respectfully,
    Vanessa-Rose
    Its not that i enlisted to stand-out. I enlisted to be part of the best.
    I'm not doing it for recognition or what not. What i'm getting at is that why do people look down on us. Why does everyone think so low of the people that enlist, and then think so wrong of our vets. I know the media plays a key role but why are some people ignorant?

josephd
    Guest Free Member
    is Miami or your area liberal (lefty democrat) or conservative (rightwing republican)?

without getting into a political debate this could have alot to do with it. where i live (Phoenix, AZ) and where I am from (Minneapolis, MN) are pretty strong republican areas and very strongly support military personnel, on the other hand a few friends of mine are from Central California area which is very liberal and they basically look down on anyone in the military (Berkeley area for example)

Quote Originally Posted by josephd View Post
    is Miami or your area liberal (lefty democrat) or conservative (rightwing republican)?

without getting into a political debate this could have alot to do with it. where i live (Phoenix, AZ) and where I am from (Minneapolis, MN) are pretty strong republican areas and very strongly support military personnel, on the other hand a few friends of mine are from Central California area which is very liberal and they basically look down on anyone in the military (Berkeley area for example)

Miami is a political wreck being honest with you. There are to many ignorant immigrants that believe the government is out to get them.
    Its rare to see anyone that supports the military. It sucks that alot of people are like this.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I never really wanted to join to be a hero..... I am joining to be a Marine.

Quote Originally Posted by TSULLI View Post
    I never really wanted to join to be a hero..... I am joining to be a Marine.
    This thread was never about becoming a hero or to be recognized. I jst wanted to know or understand why people see us so differently.

Hi,

I haven't really posted on here at all. I'm just a 17 year old wannabe who's hoping to get into NROTC.

As to why people act the way they do towards our heroes serving overseas... Well, I guess they're just ignorant. I guess you could blame a lot of it on the media. The media loves to report "27 US soldiers killed this month", or "15 Iraqi civilians killed", but they won't report on the thousands of insurgents being killed. They want to make it sound like we're losing, when, in fact, we're not.

People complain about "4,000 soldiers killed in Iraq". Well, actually, that's not true. We've lost about 4,000 in both Afghanistan and Iraq combined. With absolutely no disrespect intended towards our servicemen here, please don't take this the wrong way, but that's nothing. We lost more than 6 times that many on Iwo Jima. We were losing that by the hour at the Battle of the Bulge. For the amount we've gained from those losses, (toppling two evil governments, seriously damaging Al-Qaida and other terrorist organizations, protecting our freedom and liberty here in America) I believe most servicemen and women would tell you those losses are well worth it. Yes, it's tragic when a serviceman dies (whether he be a Marine, in the Army, Navy, Airforce, or Coastguard) and I mourn with the families who lose their loved ones. A very good friend of mine named Robert Taylor died in Marine Boot Camp. I know what it's like to lose someone who's in the military. But, those I believe that those who fall would have told you that they were more than willing to die for their country. They knew the risks they were putting themselves into, they knew the price they may have had to pay. But they were willing to do it to keep America safe.

I apologize for rambling so much, I hope my post kind of made sense. I'm sorry if I didn't really add anything to the discussion. But what I want to say most of all is this:
    Marines- Not all of us are fooled. There are many of us who realize the sacrifices that you've made and are still making. We support you fully and believe that what you are doing is right. God bless y'all.

-Brendan

Marine Friend Free Member NicholasITALY's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesty305 View Post
    This thread was never about becoming a hero or to be recognized. I jst wanted to know or understand why people see us so differently.
    Because for them.. the Marines are JUST KILLERS.
    That's thanks to the media.. only who knows Marines know that we are not just killers.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Majesty305 View Post
    Sorry I must have read it wrong or something... I don't know how that happened. Haha.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by HABU View Post
    i served for eight years myself and i never cared what people thought.... being in the service wasn't very popular back then and so what.... i was just another jarhead. we didn't have all of the flag waving that we have now.... everyones' a hero now it seems... i just liked the corps.... a good marine doesn't want war or killing, but he's there in case it's ever upon us. a good marine fights to end wars and killing. we are the body armor of a nation... it's never about us.
    Well said Sergeant!!!

theres this Marine corps author (can't recall his name) who wrote this article about this subject,my heavy read it too us on our last day of bootcamp.it put people into 3 categories,wolf,sheep, and sheep dog.

the wolf seeks too kill,too maim,too cause as much harm as he can too the sheep,for they are weak and delicious.

the sheep are peaceful,not weak per say,just ignorant..they live there lives thinking "it won't happen too me" and leave the fighting too others.they don't want the blood on there hands and violence is only acceptable in media,not on there behalf.

then there is us.

the sheep dogs.we circle the flock,ever vigilant, head on a swivel always looking out for the wolf.we do it for a sense of duty,a sense of purpose too something greater than us. we aren't recongized all the time,rarely appreciated it,and sometimes even scorned,because what we do is an unpleasant thing,but a necessary thing.we will continue too do our duty and protect the sheep from the wolves because they cannot do it themselves.

so ask yourself...am i a sheep? a sheep dog? or a wolf?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cwalling View Post
    theres this Marine corps author (can't recall his name) who wrote this article about this subject,my heavy read it too us on our last day of bootcamp.it put people into 3 categories,wolf,sheep, and sheep dog.
    Sorry, not written by a Marine. You're thinking of LtCol David Grossman, who is a retired US Army officer. All still true and accurate however.

Thread Information