Women Marines - how is your attitude? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Woman Marines - how is your attitude

Personally I must say when I first arrived at Cherry Point I was "green as grass" as far as noting the attitude of the Male Marines.* This was "way back" in 1952.* I had more negative comments made about Woman Marines from thick headed civilians when I went home on Boot Leave.* The one that really "ticked me off" was the comment:* "Keep your eyes and ears open, your mouth shut and your legs crossed".* At that time I was told, by other Woman Marines that those comments were made by ignorant civilians who only believed "gossip about females during WWII".* The male Marines I served with were all good to work with.* As long as I pulled my weight with some of the duties in the Air Traffic control MOS I experienced some "gentle kidding" about being "the one who freed me for active duty" My reasons for joining the Corps were the desire to become one of "the proud, the fewer".* When on double shifts in the tower the men sent me to pick up the "mid-rats" for those of us working at midnight.* There was a reason, now I guess it would be "sexist".* They sent me because when I went to the mess hall kitchens the men on duty there would give me nicer sandwiches as well as cake or cupcakes or donuts, also would add some welcome fruit.There were only about a little over 250 Woman Marines in the Detachment.* That made for dozens of great times in the "Slop chute" and the bars outside the base in Havelock and Morehead City.* Sure, there were times when I was unsure of the intentions of some Marines, there were also a lot who defended us.*

Someone commented as to why no women Marines had posted. Two reasons here... first, we teachers went back to work this week, its been hectic. Second, I guess I am not sure what I am supposed to respond to.

Yes, I have an attitude, I was born with it. I'm not sure if it is the Italian genes I carry or the fact that everyone in my family, on both sides, have attitude problems. Either way, I have a serious attitude, just ask my students.

I usually do not flip out about things that are stupid and trivial. When someone shakes my husbands hand and thanks him for his service (he is a civilian), he smiles and says "Well, I did serve by helping my wife serve her country, she is the Marine in the family." That usually stops them dead in their tracks. On to the next scenerio, I have never been told I was too cute to be a Marine (hmm... guess that means I am an ugly ass)!

Last but certainly not least, there are times what the comments on this site pis* me off too. Just look up a few posts and you will see a few of them. But WTF... the men that post ignorance are the ones sitting at home on Saturday night with a beer in one hand and their little itty bittys in the other. I am not concerned about them or their "opinions".

I have had my share of bumps in the road during my service. I always made sure that I was able to go to work and be on time, I made sure that the work I did was done quickly and with quality, and I made sure that when the job was finished that the Marines that worked with me received the kudos that were due. Even if I didn't get recognized for a job well done, it didn't matter. I had many moments in my career when one of my Marines would say something like "thanks for watching my six and teaching me the right way." That was all the kudos I ever needed, the satisfaction that I made someone a better Marine.

In the end, I can look back and know that I did a good job. When my son checked into his first duty station, the MGySgt recognized his last name and asked if we were related. My son replied "Yes, MGySgt, she is my mother." The Master Guns said "Your Mother was an outstanding Marine, if you are 1/2 of what she was, you will have a great career in our Corps." THAT is what it is all about. I don't even know that Marine, but somehow he knew me and my work. To me, that is what being a Marine is about.

jarheadlady,nothing else needs to be said. Thanks for a job well done,but most of all thanks for your service to our country.

bootlace15 out
    your family has to so proud of you...................................

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hell yeah I got an attitude! I went through the same things you other women went through. Even now, I have Marine Corps stickers and my tag says "WM4LIFE" and some will still ask "is your husband in the Corps, who do you know in the Corps", blah, blah, blah. When I was in I heard "I don't know why they let women in MY Marine Corps!" all the time. It never bothered me - I had they same problem with some WM's that they had. I hated that I cared enough to NOT be a burden on the Unit and they thought they were too special to do the same. I knew I was stepping into a man's world straight out the gate - I didn't expect any kind of special treatment just because my tail is split.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Damn....outta 9 replies I haven't seen a WM step up to the plate yet....although the thread is interesting!

This comment was made because the original poster entitled the post "Woman Marines-how is your attitude?" and only males had responded until today. The thread is still interesting!

Mother Goose don't be Grimm!

I don't have an attitude, I have a boot strapped to my foot ready to hit it's mark.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by CPL Nelly View Post
    I don't have an attitude, I have a boot strapped to my foot ready to hit it's mark.
    Ooooh Danielle, I love it when you talk that way!!

WM contact limited to a few sightings and fewer yes, (insert rank) no, etc..good mornings etc. Maybe 12 Years later i was shoeing a horse for a new client, and spit Copenhagen which landed on my chaps or boots and she said...... unsat.

I say's what? unsat? where'd you get that? She said Marine Corps. OoRah we hit it off and joked and got along just fine.

She weren't no Prima Donna either when it came to handlin ill mannered horses or urchins. Then one day her ex-husband whom she married while they were both active duty Marines, shows up to help her buck bailed hay and she say's to him...this is my new farrier, Dave. He slides me a little handshake and she tells him: Dave was in the Corps also. Dude say's Oh! yes sir! Then he pops off with a quick sloppy salute....

WTF was that all about??? hehehe dink.

--->Dave

Now i've been a little over two years. Long enough to know good from bad. I've worked my azz off and never complained about a hike or tried to "shimmy" my way out of PT. Now i have 2 njps and both those are on the account of another WM's mouth (meeting my fist). Now it's not my agenda to go around and beat in my sister's faces, but when they talk back all day and complain and then try to get personal with me... things go wrong. Because the way i see it is that i'm a female Marine too, i'm definitly girly (out of uniform) and we all went through the same training, so suckitthe****up.
    So last night being at the Chargers game for military appreciation night in Charlies around other male Marines and my one sister, it made me realize how truly few we are. The fewest and proudest (at least for myself and the ones I know). Last night was the first night I was thanked before a male Marine standing right next to me. Usually they don't even look my way. So being conditioned to do my own thing and still hold my head up high i was quite shocked. When i woke up this morning i had a feeling of re-motovation. It definitly lifted my spirits.

I know not all male or female Marines are the same. I give props to infantry because most females bodies aren't made to do what you do. sorry if you disagree ladies, it's science. (but that doesn't mean we couldn't hang)

Quote Originally Posted by outlaw3179 View Post
    Who cares...Thank God there are no females in the infantry. Then instead of dealing with , I dont know , how to win battles, wed have to deal with people feelings getting hurt. Your post proves the reason why women Marines are treated differently.

And men are different in this regard? I can remember sitting many times listening to buddies groan and gripe about something unfair. So it is alright for guys and not gals? Interesting... I wonder that you would say that, would you say that to a family of a WM that was severely wounded or killed in war? They are out there, you know, fighting, getting killed and injured...right along with their brothers. I guess it is best for guys like you that they aren't really considered to be "fighting on the frontlines." Wonder what you would do.

Hey DevildogAlways,I think you need more info in your PROFILE..........

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    HAHAHA - an E1 with 13 years of service?

Anyway.............I got the popcorn for the fight that's about to go down. You guys have to BYOB, I know how much ya'll can put down. Holla if you need backup Sister!

Yep, me and 84 have your back sister.... you just let us know. I'm grabbing my usual seat on the hammock for this one.... care to join me BigAl?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    BigAl say he's bringing the good stuff Gny - LOL!

Credits
    Savings
    Met a WM at a party in J'ville. Never knew her professionaly, just way to well personally. Even after going our separate ways she was good to go when I would run into her a round base.
    Saw quite a few while at Camp Johnson doing my lat move. They were all kinda lost, but didn't really know them.
    While in Oki on Foster we had a couple in our shop. One hurt her foot, had a couple surgeries. She ran the tool room and did a great job. She was also a red patcher, not sure how she wound up with us. We had two who were nice, but couldn't turn a wrench to save there life. They couldn't tell you the difference between a starter and a brake drum. One could hang in PT, the other couldn't. The one that couldn't hang was always getting out of work because of headaches or cramps.The fourth WM seemed to always disappear and show back up close to the end of the day. Never saw her PT.
    All 4 were easy going and like able. None of them looked like 10%ers in uniform. They stayed squared away. Never formed a bad opinion of them.
    Always wondered what happened to the one I met in J'ville.

Thread Information