Georgia and Russia
Create Post
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Georgia and Russia

What does everyone think about Russia invading Georgia, im not real sure about this as I dont have much knowledge on the old ussr as im only 22, do you think the US will intervene (sp) as Georgia is the 3rd major contributor in Afgan or Iraq im not sure which one? Just bored at work and seeing what everyone on Leatherneck thinks

I dont think that we have an alliance with Russia i know there are marines and other military personell stationed in Georgia though. We have bigger problems than another european war Iraq Iran Afgahn GAS

Credits
    Savings
    yeah i was reading the US has approx 2000 civilians in Georgia and about 130 military personel helping train the military for a deployment to Iraq, but who knows whats going to happen, I just read the Georgia was in the process of joining NATO when this started happening, so you never know the NATO might step in and maybe US since we back Georgia

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    It looks like a complicated mess. Russian peacekeepers are in that area. Its Georgia's land. Russians are reinforcing, Georgia's calling for help. Our President is in China now. He can do alot from there, but can he do as much if he was here?

I'm guessing that the UN will have to step up and send in their own peacekeepers to replace the Russians. If not, it will be a bloody slugfest.

Credits
    Savings
    That is very true, it kinda seems to me that Russia is angered about a pro-democratic nation that was once part of the USSR and waited till the olympics started to use that as cover and invade part of Georgia's proviences. Yeah if UN goes in im sure some Marines will possibly be deployed to the area since we have been backing Georgia an so have they in Iraq, kinda reminds me of Russia invading Finland.

Hope no one let their guard down on the Russians....the BEAR only went to sleep for
    a prolonged winter...."THE BEAR IS BACK" and making a scene here and there. He has flown Bear bombers over the fleet at 200 feet.........now Georgia.....this whole thing smells of a conspiracy to me. Anyone else ?

SF......>CHUCK

Credits
    Savings
    what do you mean flew the bomber over the fleet at 200 ft?

WELCOME TO THE UN HAVING A JOB TO DO FINALLY...Lets all make sure we ridicule and treat them like **** whenever something goes wrong b/c that is the way the world treats us. Oh wait, they already can't reach an agreement...surprise

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sshrader View Post
    Russian bomber buzzes U.S. aircraft carrier
    From Barbara Starr
    CNN, 11 Feb 2008

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- American fighter jets intercepted two Russian bombers, one of which buzzed a U.S. aircraft carrier in the western Pacific on Saturday, U.S. military officials told CNN Monday.

Russia's Defense Ministry said Tuesday that there was no violation of flight regulations during the incident. A ministry official said the flights are standard operating procedure for air force training.

One of them twice flew about 2,000 feet over the deck of the USS Nimitz Saturday while another flew about 50 miles away, officials said. Two others were at least 100 miles away, the military reported.

U.S. defense officials said four F/A-18A fighter jets from the Nimitz were in the air.

The Russians and the U.S. carrier did not exchange verbal communications. Watch U.S. aircraft carrier USS Nimitz »

Four turboprop Tupolev-95 Bear bombers took off from Ukrainka Air Base, in Russia's Far East, in the middle of the night, Japanese officials told The Associated Press, adding that one of the planes violated Japanese airspace.

Russian bombers have been making flights over the western Pacific for several months.

There have been eight incidents off Alaska since July. Among the latest, on September 5, six F-15s from Elmendorf Air Force Base, adjacent to Anchorage, Alaska, intercepted six Russian bombers about 50 miles from the northwest coast of Alaska.

Two similar incidents occurred in August, one near Cape Lisburne, Alaska, and the other near Cold Bay, Alaska, west of the Aleutian Islands.
    [story ends]

Navy and AF could have smoked them at 150 miles.

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you Cpl. I understand now, yeah i was reading one one website the story about Georgia and Russia, it pi**es me off so bad to see some of these people blaming America for these two countries fighting, I cant wait until my brothers wedding so I can join the best damn fighting force!

Quote Originally Posted by sshrader View Post

I mean the Russkies flew their Bear bomber over the 6th fleet at 200' off the deck of the Big "E" in the Atlantic ocean. Then making sure we knew it was them, they turned around and came back at the same altitude over the carrier deck again. One little slip and boom...goodbye Bear and stand-by...or for us older guys..."Saddle up" !!

SF......>Chuck

What the ****, reading that article makes me just go what the hell is going on.Bombers flying around alaska?? 2000 feet off the Nimitz deck? Are you kidding me?

Turboprop or not...thats riduclous.

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, that sounds pretty crazy. Makes me wonder what is about to happen with this incident, it could be the straw that broke the camels back??

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    There was a guy in my platoon who use to be on sea duty. He told me a story that his ship passed a russian ship. I believe he said it was out in the med, and the russians would give them the middle finger. He said they would flip them back off and shout curse words at them.

Semper FI 4 Life
    Give me liberty or i'll get it myself!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Achped View Post
    What the ****, reading that article makes me just go what the hell is going on.Bombers flying around alaska?? 2000 feet off the Nimitz deck? Are you kidding me?

Turboprop or not...thats riduclous.
    Hey try 60-50 miles off Alaska.....also try 200 feet over the "Big E".....frigin Communist....they won't stop...we better not either.
    "THE BEAR " is back.....count on it....cold war my buttcuss...it's not
    over..........no fat lady in sight !!

Stayed armed and ready !!

SF......>Chuck

Thread Information