recall your first car, experiences with it?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

recall your first car, experiences with it?

61 country sedan before USMC; 1975 bought a 67 Malibu outside of Lejeune; added hijacker air shocks and mag wheels. One night, parked it at Camp Geiger, next morning it was up on blocks, all wheels gone.

Two months later, I saw my wheels on a Marine's car at New River Air Station (I used to go there to eat b/c the food in the wing was better than the crap served to grunts at Geiger).

CID took them in as evidence but someone stole them from CID. Anyway, CID cut me a check and bought new mag wheels.

Later, got orders to San Diego. Drove cross country with the Malibu to my new duty station and wrecked it shortly after.

Always have fond memories for that car. Don't see many around today. They rusted easily.

Ahhh, 68 Chevy Malibu for me. Let some jughead that was stationed at Coronado borrow it and it never came back. Insurance paid but there was never going to be a car like that one!

67 Pontiac Tempest for 175.00

I think I invented the car phone, back in the mid 70's I was driving around with a phone sitting in my car, granted it was a home phone. I would drive down the road, pretending to be talking to someone.

I told this story to guys at work a few years ago and they said another piece of the puzzle fills in, haha.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    '62 pontaic Tempest station wagon. While at Pendleton, wife and I put curtains all around and that became our camper. Wonderful times, no kids, cheap gas.

Jet,

I bought a Motorola CB to check for cops on the way to Myrtle Beach on the weekends.

Sparkie,

Used to sleep in mine; sometimes easier to sleep than open squadbay LOL

this brings up another topic; could junior enlisted even afford a car?

Mine was $500. Since my monthly pay was $299, I had to save for a few months, riding the base bus and going to base theater for entertainment or J-ville USO; lol

50 Mercury Sled like the one James Dean had in the movie "Rebel Without A Cause." 3/4 race engine and a very nice car. 3 speed column shift, fender skirts wide whitewalls, molded door handles, frenched headlights and a pretty fast car for those days. Heavy, but pretty fast.

Credits
    Savings
    1978 Chevy Nova 2 door, silver-blue with a white hard top and 8-track player. The back end rode cooked from the front end for a while. Drove it until I killed it, then hauled it to the scrapyard. Lotso memories there.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I learned to drive in a plymouth horizon and AMC Matador. Mom got us backing up and parking in the driveway and civic center parking lot. Dad took me out on the road. That was freakin' scary **** the first time around!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    1951 Plymouth, gave $25.00 for it cash in 1967. I was 13, washing cars at the Ford Dealership. It had the Drivers front fender missing. 6 cyl, flat head, ran like a top. couldn't find a fender for it so I traded it (and 125.00) for a 1956 Chevy, 4 door, 6 cyl, that smoked like a freight train! I'd pull into the gas station and tell them to fill it up with re refined oil (5 cents qt) and check the gas. Usually about 50 cents in gas would do me the night. Never drove it more than 50 miles a day!

Ah the AM Radio. listening to "89 WLS" out of Chicago, my first.......well you guys get the idea! Don't know what ever happened to that old baby!

Thanks for prying that memory fom my ugly head and Semper Fi,

Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    1970 plymouth roadrunner with a 383. I drove it from when I was 16 until the day before I went to boot camp. I sold it on that day for $1,500. I wonder what it would be worth today? I worked at a restaurant and a lady came in one day and said her boy friend had wrecked their car, got a dui and was in jail. She said she would sign the title over to anyone willing to pay the impound fee. I paid the impound fee and went down and picked it up. It had a flat tire and a broken radiator but was other wise fine. The impound fee was $68.00

1955 Ford V8. I worked all summer hauling hay to by it. This was in 1958.

1969 Chevy Nova, 327, Holley 4 with Hurst 4 speed inline competion shifter. Best moment was dragging a 66 Chevelle that was all show and no go. Blew a clutch but the $100.00 pais for that.

Back in 86 when I was a senior in High School I got my mom's old hand me down that sat in the garage since I was a small child.It was a 66 Ford Falcon Sports Cpe.I can remember having to do a lot of work to it in my Auto Shop Class.

haha, ask any Marine now adays and the cars they buy are the 35,000$ 2007 Mazda RX-8s (I've personally seen this...a LCpl owned it).

Thread Information