Looking for a Little Advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a Little Advice

Marines,

I need some advice. Currently, I am entering my junior year in college. Originally at the beginning of my academic career, I had no thought of the serving in the United States Military. However, as costs began mounting and I was often faced with finding miracle money to come up with tuition and rent, the military suddenly became a feasible option.

I began searching methods, and decided that I would join the Air Force (my father, as well as his father, were career airman -- my dad a linguist and his father an avionics engineer) because it was all I knew. Since my father had been in the Air Force and I had dreamed of being a pilot while I was a child, AFROTC made sense.The situation rekindled my desire to be a military aviator.

However, I am a thorough researcher, and it seems that the current state of the Untied States Air Force is not ideal. The direction of the organization is progressively getting worse (high-administration disagreements, force-shaping, the UAV spelling the end for many pilots) and I do not desire to jump on board of a sinking ship. Beyond that, I come from a strong military background (in addition to the aforementioned bit about my father and his father, my brother is in the United States Army National Guard, my sister is currently in the process of joining you guys in the United States Marine Corps and auditioning for the USMC band, as well as a significant number of servicemen outside of my immediate family) and I want to represent them well in uniform as an Officer. I abhor the lackadaisical manner that the United States Air Force utilizes in its approach to produce service members.

I want to wear a uniform that I am proud to wear. I want to be recognized immediately as an elite individual and part of an elite team and it seems the Air Force does not offer that these days. These desires have lead me to consider the United States Marine Corps. I have always been one of the elite intellectuals (for better or worse) and I take pride in that as well as my commitment to physical fitness. It appears to me that the Air Force does not require the same commitment from its members that I would deem necessary of a branch of the United States Military. The Marine Corps does.

Still, conventional wisdom suggests that the best aviation is found in the United States Air Force. I would not detract from the training that any Naval Aviator has received but in my opinion, based solely upon my research, Joint Specialized Undergraduate Pilot Training is the toughest and best pilot training available. Unfortunately though, the training required to be an officer is laughable in comparison to Marine Corps OCS and the Basic School.

My dilemma is this:

I want to be an aviator, and I want to be an Officer in the Military. I am finding more and more that I want to be a Marine. In the Marines though, as you all will certainly affirm, you are a Marine first, in this case, an Officer second and an Aviator third. At the moment, I cannot place aviation behind the other two. It ranks at the same level in my mind.

So, how do I tackle this?

Currently I am in AFROTC but I am not a scholarship cadet and have not yet gone to field training so I am not at all in debt to the Air Force. I have recently sent correspondence to a Marine Selection Officer about the Platoon Leader's Class and am set to begin getting information from him. I know all the technical details, I just am looking for some advice from as many places as I can get it.

So, Marines, have at it.

I meant "led" not lead in the 4th paragraph. Sorry for the typo.

If you want the best in avaition and you intend to be an officer then the navys for you, but if you want the pride then go for the Corps.

-Rah

UMD-
    I would look at your sources, Marine Corps aviation is the TOP in the world. The U.S. Marine Corps has the 5th largest "air force" in the WORLD. Our BIGGEST field to go into is aviation, not infantry like "most" people think. It all depends on what type of flying you want to do. The Marine Corps and the Air Force both fly, but they fly different type of machinery as well as different flying methods and missions. You would be a Marine first, but EVERYONE is a Marine first. Your specialty would be Aviation. Marine Aviation has a long proud tradition and it has been around for a very long time. I would talk to a USMC officer that is a pilot. Also, FYI the Marine Corps is the ONLY branch of the armed forces that can "Guarntee" you a seat in flight school. They can guarntee you a seat, but its up to you to pass the school. No other branch, not even the Air Force can "gurantee" you a seat in flight school. I would ask that question to the Marine Corps selection officer as well as the Air Force selection officer and see what answer you get form both, because if your goal is to fly, conventional wisdom suggests that someone would go with the branch that can "guarntee" you a seat in flight school.

What if you could find financial aid outside of the military? Would you still seek a commission?

Quote Originally Posted by PTurchan View Post
    What if you could find financial aid outside of the military? Would you still seek a commission?
    At this point, Yes I certainly would.

Not really relevant to the discussion, but if my academic plan is approved I'll have 2 bachelor's degrees and a master's degree when I graduate in the spring of next year. I intend one day to get a PhD in my field and do research into developing sustainable economic infrastructure that provides for steady growth in areas with limited resources and capital. The Military is the best way I know to serve my country with honor, get help with my education goals, and develop as a person both physically and mentally.

I'd be a Marine fighter pilot.. over Navy or AF pilot any day, but I'm biased, too...

Quote Originally Posted by UMDStudent24 View Post
    At this point, Yes I certainly would.

Not really relevant to the discussion, but if my academic plan is approved I'll have 2 bachelor's degrees and a master's degree when I graduate in the spring of next year. I intend one day to get a PhD in my field and do research into developing sustainable economic infrastructure that provides for steady growth in areas with limited resources and capital. The Military is the best way I know to serve my country with honor, get help with my education goals, and develop as a person both physically and mentally.
    Just do it.

I concur with the other Sgt V. Do it and you won't regret it.
    I highly suggest going for a demo flight or even a few real flight lessons. It is a true motivator.

Quote Originally Posted by JordanB View Post
    If you want the best in avaition and you intend to be an officer then the navys for you, but if you want the pride then go for the Corps.

-Rah

Holy CRAP I cant believe you said that! The Corps has a great air wing, F18s, Harriers, Osprey, 130s, helos... and the list goes on!

You need to call your local OSO (Officer Selection Office) and get all the dirt. Call your local recruiter and he/she will have that number.

Erin, You seem like you have a gigantic brain.........

"The world over, the word Marine defines something more than a soldier. It arouses the image of a warrior on the boundlessness of the oceans, coming from the mystique of the sea onto the land, an amphibian, a soldier of the sea. The aura is of one who is different and of whom more is expected."

"Being a Marine is a state of mind that comes from an imbedded belief that he or she is, in fact, unique, a cut above. A Marine is most of all, part of an organization that demands a difference-and delivers excellence beyond others in all it is and does."
    Gen. Carl E. Mundy Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak View Post
    Erin, You seem like you have a gigantic brain.........
    Thank you,... I think.

As to the rest of your post, the sentiment evident in General Mundy's statements exemplify exactly the qualities of a Marine, and that is what I want out of my tenure in the service.

With all due respect to the members of the USAF, I just don't feel that (generally) they are as elite because:
    1. There are more of them. (Large numbers tend to head towards the opposite of being elite.)
    2. They are not held to the same standards. (The Physical Fitness Standards, obviously, follow this rule, but then so does Uniform care, and even the way you address each other -- [Always refer to a person by his/her full rank ala no referring to a Gunnery Sergeant as Sergeant or Lance Corporal as Corporal, etc.] This becomes clear in the mindset too.

As always there will be Marines who do not excel and exemplify these qualities as there will be Airmen who do surpass expectations and exhibit these traits.

But, you are judged by the general rule, never the exception; thus I want to wear the Uniform of those deemed the most elite. This is why I find myself drifting away from the Air Force. Certainly, many have very technical jobs that only very intelligent people can fill, but I can find that anywhere in the private sector and that is not what I am looking for. I want a Military experience.

I am strongly favoring PLC right now....

So, I just may be seeing you guys in 2 or 3 years.

Thank you,... I think.

As to the rest of your post, the sentiment evident in General Mundy's statements exemplify exactly the qualities of a Marine, and that is what I want out of my tenure in the service.

With all due respect to the members of the USAF, I just don't feel that (generally) they are as elite because:
    1. There are more of them. (Large numbers tend to head towards the opposite of being elite.)
    2. They are not held to the same standards. (The Physical Fitness Standards, obviously, follow this rule, but then so does Uniform care, and even the way you address each other -- [Always refer to a person by his/her full rank ala no referring to a Gunnery Sergeant as Sergeant or Lance Corporal as Corporal, etc.] This becomes clear in the mindset too.

As always there will be Marines who do not excel and exemplify these qualities as there will be Airmen who do surpass expectations and exhibit these traits.

But, you are judged by the general rule, never the exception; thus I want to wear the Uniform of those deemed the most elite. This is why I find myself drifting away from the Air Force. Certainly, many have very technical jobs that only very intelligent people can fill, but I can find that anywhere in the private sector and that is not what I am looking for. I want a Military experience.

I am strongly favoring PLC right now....

So, I just may be seeing you guys in 2 or 3 years.
    Don't sing it, bring it....

Thank you,... I think.

That IS a compliment by the way, I still try to recruit into my beloved Corps, even though I've been out of uniform for 11+ years. Hell, you could be a future CMC!

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak View Post
    That IS a compliment by the way, I still try to recruit into my beloved Corps, even though I've been out of uniform for 11+ years. Hell, you could be a future CMC!
    Well sir, I greatly appreciate that. I hope I like it well enough to stay that long. One of my goals in life is to reach some position high enough (be it in the Military, private sector, or in politics) that I get to know the right people so that I can actually use my intelligence to get things done on a national/international scale. So, thank you for the vote of confidence.

Thread Information