Discharge upgrade, how long of a wait?
Create Post

Arrow Discharge upgrade, how long of a wait?

I've been in the process of enlisting in the army as a Cavalry scout. Yeah I'd rather go back in the Corps but they told me I'm too old. I had to wait one year due to having kidney stones but had my medical waiver approved recently. Everything was good to go & I was to be sworn in this past tuesday when I received a call from my recruiter the evening before informing me that I was being delayed six additional months for re-review due to my RE-3C code. This is something she(recruiter) assured me would not be a problem & since I didn't know better, at the time, I agreed since I am honorably dicharged figuring she knew what she was doing. Never assume someone in the army knows what they are doing! After hearing this disheartening news I decided to maintain my optimism & perserverance by pursuing whatever avenue I had to clear this up & get back in uniform asap. I have since found out that my RE code can be appealed, reviewed & changed. I then submitted DD form 149 to get that ball rolling & have had a caseworker assigned through my congressmans office to have them possibly intervene on my behalf as well. I may be older but I'm certainly wiser & can still out shoot and scoot many people half my age. I served honorably in the eighties & know I can still be an asset in uniform, I just need the opportunity to prove that. Hopefully things will work out. I'll update this thread as info becomes available. Also if anyone else out there has had or is having a similar experience please feel free to post here or contact me directly, I'll be glad to help anyway I can. Semper Fi!

PS- If anybody has submitted a DD-149 for an upgrade how long did you wait before being contacted & was it solved in a satisfactory manor, let me know. Thanks!

I ran into a very similar situation when I went into the Army after my 6 years in the Corps. It took me about 6-8 wekks to get it resolved, and it was favorable.

Get into the Army and see if you can do a service to service transfer back to the Marine Corps.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by gadkins69 View Post
    I ran into a very similar situation when I went into the Army after my 6 years in the Corps. It took me about 6-8 wekks to get it resolved, and it was favorable.
    6 to 8 weeks sounds pretty good to me. Certainly beats the hell out of six months! I just spoke with my recruiter & she stated if I can have my RE code upgraded I can resubmit immediately instead of waiting till january. Of course I asked her to verify this for me by inquiring further up her chain of command, I take all she says with a grain of salt at this point. Did you also have an RE-3C and what did they send you confirming the change in your record? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete0331 View Post
    Get into the Army and see if you can do a service to service transfer back to the Marine Corps.
    No doubt! Thats been my goal all along. That will be a difficult road to travel though, due primarily to my age, and will go straight to the top of CMC needing approval from the Commandant himself. At least thats what the Marine recruiter I spoke with told me. I may have to endure an entire enlistment as a soldier first before I can try that out though. I'm ok with that since my main goal is to get back in uniform & do my part. I feel useless sitting behind a desk here in sunny florida when my brothers are fighting & dying in the sandboxes. If I have to join the fight as a dogface, so be it. I'll still be a Marine despite the different uniform, always.

Srb

I sent away for my SRB to NPRC in St. Louis so I can send it in with my DD149........TAKING FOREVER TO ARRIVE. I was told that if I send my SRB along with the DD149 it will expedite the process. I am also interested to see why I got the RE-3C due to the fact that I never had NJP, Court Martial, or ANY disciplinary issues.

Thread Information