DEP Questions
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DEP Questions

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

DEP Questions

I was wondering if the DEP program is capable of making me fit enough for the Marine Corps.

I am really unfit right now and I have never played any sports throughout all my life, I am 18 years old, 5'10 and yet I am only 115 LBS; for my height, I don't weigh enough to even make it through to become a recruit. I am really skinny and I can't even run a quarter mile without grasping for air.

I am at home all the time watching TV and playing Gran Turismo and Starcraft. Right now I know for sure I would not even make it through a week of basic training.

I want to know if DEP is able to make me fit enough, I am 18 years old right now so I am old enough to join; I have a high school degree, I graduated on June.

Thank you for taking your time reading my post,

Sincerely,

Dave Le

Hey Dave,

(Short answer down below!)
    To answer your question the DEP will help you become stronger but only to an extent. It really depends on how badly you want to ship to boot camp and start the journey to becoming a Marine. In the DEP you will go to Poolee functions where youll work out a bit but these are usually only 1 or 2 times a month. So yes you will get some benefit from it but its going to take alot more PT then that if your have as much trouble as your letting on. The only thing you can do to improve on your run is to get out there and get some. Put the video games away if your serious about leaving for boot camp. You said your just out of high school and that you sit at home all day so why dont you get yourself into some kind of routine and work out 2-3 times a day. Your 115lbs the minimum weight for your height is 132 inches and im sure you could get 10 pounds waivered so your really not that far off.

So in short- Yes the DEP will make your stronger and you will learn some basic Marine things(drill,general orders, etc) depending on how your DEP is run but it will take FOREVER for you to get in shape if you soley depend on that 1 or 2 workouts a month.

Im not sure if we are allowed to link to other sites(if not please delete this) but check out www.Bodybuilding.com they have alot of information about ways to gain weight in a healthy way.

-LCPL Penfold

Credits
    Savings
    Are you sure dep is only 1-2 workouts a month? My friend was in DEP when he was still in school, and he said they came over to his school about 3 times a week to get him to workout.

Quote Originally Posted by LeDave View Post
    Are you sure dep is only 1-2 workouts a month? My friend was in DEP when he was still in school, and he said they came over to his school about 3 times a week to get him to workout.

It depends on the Marine that is running the DEP program, you can always ask your recruiter if he would PT with you and help you out in whatever area your lacking(pull ups,crunches,run) whatever it may be.

-LCPL Penfold

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Try2CatchMike View Post
    It depends on the Marine that is running the DEP program, you can always ask your recruiter if he would PT with you and help you out in whatever area your lacking(pull ups,crunches,run) whatever it may be.

-LCPL Penfold
    Thanks a lot for the help man, But what does PT mean? I'm sorry but I'm really a noob at these type of things. And yeah I'll call in the Marine Corps recruit center at Burnsville tomorrow and ask them about the DEP and if they can hook me up with someone who will be willing to help me out at least 3 times a week. I'm pretty sure I need to work out on everything, pull-ups, crunches, and especially running.

Physical Training

Wow, it was a trip to see the station I was recruited at mentioned here, but I thought I'd pitch in, even though I'm just a poolee...

Sgt. Reeves runs PT Wednesday afternoons at 3:30 and Saturday mornings at 8:30. We also do pool functions on the 2nd Saturday of the month, and the recruiters are super helpful to do what they can to get you into shape. If you have any other questions, DEFINITELY call the station, or you can even PM me here and I'll try and help with what I can.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Don't count on others for what you need to do for yourself. You can't augment your own willpower with the thought that someone else is responsable for your failure.

What you want,,,,,You gotta get. There is help, but in the end, It's gotta be You.

Good luck, Son.

I am at home all the time watching TV and playing Gran Turismo and Starcraft. Right now I know for sure I would not even make it through a week of basic training.
    well Dave here's my advice...
    get off your butt and PT. watching TV and playing video games isnt going to help you get in shape. you cant always depend on someone else to get you motivated. if you want it, you gotta earn it.

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by RichBX0600 View Post
    Wow, it was a trip to see the station I was recruited at mentioned here, but I thought I'd pitch in, even though I'm just a poolee...

Sgt. Reeves runs PT Wednesday afternoons at 3:30 and Saturday mornings at 8:30. We also do pool functions on the 2nd Saturday of the month, and the recruiters are super helpful to do what they can to get you into shape. If you have any other questions, DEFINITELY call the station, or you can even PM me here and I'll try and help with what I can.
    I'll see you at PT then. I just went to the recruiting office today, great stuff. I am going to bootcamp in October, they said they can get me fit by that time and I'll have go to PT every Saturday and Wednesday as well as working out myself by running and doing pushups at home..

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Being that light in the britches if you did make it to Boot Camp with that weight. You'd be a double rations recruit.

Semper FI 4 Life
    Give me liberty or i'll get it myself!!!

Credits
    Savings
    oh man.. i went to physical training today for first time and it's the hardest thing i've ever had to do in my life.. yet it's not even basic training yet. i was so exhausted.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Instead of watching that TV,,,Meebe you should carry it around with you.
    Look, Son,,,, It will always be all you. So do it. [Or Not].

You weren't exausted, Just mentally challenged. Time to grow up,Pup.

Credits
    Savings
    my arms are still really really sore from PT on wednsday, i have another PT tomorrow at 8am. =/ i'm still going, but just wondering if you guys have any tips on how to cope with it better.

my arms are still really really sore from PT on wednsday, i have another PT tomorrow at 8am. =/ i'm still going, but just wondering if you guys have any tips on how to cope with it better.
    I would rub Bengay cream, it's a heat rub, all over your body, especially the spots that are sore before you go to PT with the recruiters.

And, while you're at it Dave, to help with the chaffing from your shorts rubbing you know where, I would stuff some tissue between your legs before you run, it will be nice a soft and help with the chaffing.

Thread Information