Getting sick at PI - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Sweat it right out! LOL. Gunny I was born when you were in Boot camp.....just thought I'd throw that in there.

You know I did go to Sick Call for a rash on my arm. While there I told them I had a cough and they gave me cough drops, I ate them like candy

They were good to. So If you have to go to Sick Call, at least get some cough drops out of it.

we never really had anyone get really sick just your average colds and stuff. but i was the only one who got pink eye and i got it bad in both eyes. my senior literally forced me to go to sick call after she saw how bad it had gotten. if they know that youre really sick they will make you go even if you think youre fine. they dont want you contaminating the rest of your platoon.

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak View Post
    Sweat it right out! LOL. Gunny I was born when you were in Boot camp.....just thought I'd throw that in there.
    ooh-freakin-RAH

Only go to sickbay if you have a legitamate medical issue however do not avoid it if you need it.I got cellulitis during third phase and made it worse by not going.I was lucky that it didn't force me into a medical platoon and I was able to graduate on time.Good luck!

I was never sick during training. My son is at PI right now and he has went from no voice to ear infection to saying lots of recruits have been sick at one time or another. He decided not to go to Sick Call. I wrote him not to let something go to far before he did go. So far so good. He has decided to just suck it up for now. T19 for him.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I also lucked out at boot camp i never caught anything.

Semper Fi 4 Life
    Give Me Liberty Or I'll Get Up And Get It Myself

Unfortunately i came down with pneumonia at boot camp. Never went to sick call (maybe a bad idea?) and had to almost be carried off the parade deck during drill practice. Spent an extra 2months on the lovely island and 10 days in the Navy hospital!

Lemme just say it totally SUCKED at the time. Having to have your Senior drill instructor and series commander come into your hospital room and tell you they have to drop you. That HURTS. It really hurts. But once you pickup again, its time to complete the mission. Looking back i wouldn't trade it for anything, came from Fox Co, graduated with Hotel Co.....stayed with 2nd BN!

If you are truely sick, go to sick call. You'll be given crap for it but it keeps you moving, not dead in the water in EHP/MRP.

IMHO...If you are sick, there is no shame in going to sick hall. However, I know plenty of recruits who went to sickhall in hopes of having to be sent home for other things. Don't be one of these people who sucks it up & then gets so sick they have to go home. There is nothing wrong with getting your graduation date delayed, you will still be a Marine. Don't be like those of us who get sent home, because we are too pig-headed! I was forced to go to sick hall & after 137 on the island was sent home. At the time I was upset, but in hindsight you're NO good to ANYONE sick.

Respectfully,
    Vanessa-Rose

Quote Originally Posted by AL49BGN View Post
    Only go to sickbay if you have a legitamate medical issue however do not avoid it if you need it.I got cellulitis during third phase and made it worse by not going.I was lucky that it didn't force me into a medical platoon and I was able to graduate on time.Good luck!
    I had the same thing in one of my big toes after the rifle range. Blew it off until I got caught in the Series CO'S hygene inspection. Also was lucky I didn't get sent to MRP. Thankfully it happened between the range and Elliots Beach.

Just wondering, why is cellulitis so common down at Parris Island? I just hear a lot of people talk about it...

Thread Information