Religion - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Religion

Wing, just trying to give them another viewpoint on it....to look at it at a different angle, so to speak, ooops, my bad.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This divine dichotomy is something you have to come to a personal accommodation over. I agree that the Commandment at issue truly prohibits "murder" (an unlawful killing). Killing an enemy of your country under orders, or killing an attacker in self-defense, or defense of others, is not murder.

This is a mind set you must have to be a Marine, soldier, a police officer, or anyone else that lawfully carries a weapon for offense or defense. Any mental reservations have to be discarded well ahead of time, otherwise you, or others, could die that otherwise may not.

In boot camp, my drill instructors were quite blunt about the subject (all three were infantry vets of Vietnam). When I taught firearms at the police academy, we (instructor staff) were equally blunt. If you aren't 100% willing to pull the trigger, the military (or police work) isn't for you.

The recent Chairman of the JCS - General Peter Pace - Marine is also a devout Christian and fought in Vietnam.

Basically, it boils down to your belief set as was already stated. If you believe the interpretation that the commandment means other than a prohibition against murder, DON'T BECOME A MARINE. But, think about this when trying to figure out what it means to you: what if your mother, father, sister, brother, wife, children, were being attacked and it required deadly force to prevent their being killed. What would you do? Than equate your answer to defending this country and being in the Marine Corps.

Religlion

Quote Originally Posted by OhioJamSk8er View Post
    I am a teenager in highschool possibly considering the Marine Corps. Only problem is that I am a christian. And I know that God is in a Marines heart. But my question is how do you teach yourself that it is alright to fight even though the ten commandments say thou shall not kill. I struggle with passing this barrier.
    I'm a ordained deacon in the catholic church and a Viet Nam vet. The catholic church teaches that if it is a just war then it is ok to take another person's life. The question is what is a just war? That is something you have to think about. Hope this helps you. Semper Fi

Thread Information