Honorary Marine?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Honorary Marine?

Hello, I was just wondering, what exactly is an Honorary Marine? I know Chuck Norris is one, but what does this title mean?

Never heard of it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rvillac2 View Post
    Never heard of it.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/se...earchid=387579

This thread has some pretty good names on ot that are Honorary Marines!

To named a few, MSTSgt Bugs Bunny, Cpl Jim Nabors, Gunny R.Lee Ermey, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by davblay View Post
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/se...earchid=387579

This thread has some pretty good names on ot that are Honorary Marines!

To named a few, MSTSgt Bugs Bunny, Cpl Jim Nabors, Gunny R.Lee Ermey, etc.
    No disrespect, but I think it's all political unless you earned it. Great people, but you have to earn it.

And I think the only reason why R. Lee would be considered honorary is because the rank he currently wears, but he earned the title just like you and I.

I selected an enormous Marine Corps emblem to be tattooed across my chest. It required several sittings and hurt me like the devil, but the finished product was worth the pain. I blazed triumphantly forth, a Marine from throat to waist. The emblem is still with me. Nothing on earth but skinning will remove it.
    —MajGen Smedley D. Butler, recalling his time as a lieutenant in Asia.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Honorary? Like being honorarily pregnant? Either you is, or you aint.

Thanks for the replies Marines.

I don't recognize honorary Marines. Where did these honorary Marines go to boot? What is their MOS?

Quote Originally Posted by thewookie View Post
    And I think the only reason why R. Lee would be considered honorary is because the rank he currently wears, but he earned the title just like you and I.

Yes, the rank of Gunnery Sergeant is honorary. He was discharged a Staff Sergeant.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Marines if you make it through this thread I'm posting without feeling just a tad of emotion you're a better man than I.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...onorary+marine

I could remember reading it but shamefully could not remember the little girls name, so it was quite the search to find it again. Semper Fi Taylor.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

The real thing......

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post
    Marines if you make it through this thread I'm posting without feeling just a tad of emotion you're a better man than I.

I could remember reading it but shamefully could not remember the little girls name, so it was quite the search to find it again. Semper Fi Taylor.
    An honorary Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I just did a little checking here and there and Taylor will be 15 on the 22nd of January. She is a gunny (honorary) now.

The Commandant of the Marine Corps has the ability to designate civilians as honorary Marines. Normally people who do a lot for the Corps or kids on their deathbed who really want to be a Marine are awarded the title. Even though the Commandant may award that title, most Marines do not acknowledge honorary Marines as true Marines. Marines only recognize throse who have graduated boot camp or OCS as true Marines. My opinion is shared by most Marines, that the title cannot be given, it has to be earned (through boot camp; OCS)- anything less is not worthy of the title.

Chuck Norris may be an honorary Marine, but he is not a MARINE!

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker View Post

An amazing young lady. I'll do you one better, if you can read through that without getting a lump in your throat, you aint playin w/ a full deck of cards.

I was amazed that almost no one replied to that thread. The funny thing of it was that the Marine was more inspired by her then she was by him. God Bless Her !!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dear Ms Smith,
    I had decided to revive this thread with the link posted so those of us who didn't know about Taylor, might be interested in her current status. I guess I can not be included with most Marines in not recognizing, at least Taylor, as an honorary Marine. Please visit the link I had posted and read the entire thread. I could also provide links to blogs etc. that might make you think differently.

How'd I do noremorse?

Thread Information