Senior communications colonel calls it a career

6/30/2008 By Lance Cpl. Stephen C. Benson , U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Special Operations Command

MARINE CORPS BASE CAMP LEJEUNE, N.C. — The people that make up any organization are said to be representative of their leadership and vice versa. If that is the case, then one Marine with U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Special Operations Command presides over a dedicated and determined group of Marines.

Col. Sean T. Mulcahy, assistant chief of staff, G-6, MARSOC, retired here May 20, ending 30 years of faithful service marked by strong leadership, innovation and a commitment to better those around him. Mulcahy was the Marine Corps’ senior communications colonel at the time of his retirement.

“The most memorable things to me are the relationships,” said Mulcahy. “It’s not the equipment, uniform or the operations, it’s the people, and there are a lot of things I could say after 30 years in the Marine Corps, but the things that stick out are the people I was honored to serve with.”

Mulcahy, a native of Wilson, N.Y., was commissioned as a 2nd lieutenant in June 1978 after graduating from the University of Buffalo and the Platoon Leaders Course. Mulcahy went on to complete Officer Candidate School and the Basic Communications Officer School located at Marine Corps Base Quantico, Va., Mulcahy headed to Communications Company, Headquarters Battalion, 1st Marine Division.

During his years as a Marine Officer, Mulcahy built a reputation for success and leadership while increasing his knowledge of the communications occupational field, which would prove extremely valuable.

Between the years 2000 and 2003, Mulcahy worked at Headquarters Marine Corps to modernize and reorganize the Basic Data/Communications Maintenance occupational field in the Marine Corps. Mulcahy was also heavily involved in the formation of the Basic Communication Systems occupational field by combining basic operational communications and basic data systems into a single occupation.

Mulcahy’s contributions to the Marine Corps and specifically Marine communicators didn’t stop there. When he wasn’t improving training and readiness on the home front, he was providing valuable services in combat and forward deployed areas.

“The thing I would say I’m most proud of is leading the team that provided uninterrupted command, control and communications to the commanding general, Multi-National Forces -West during Operation Iraqi Freedom at Camp Fallujah, Iraq,” said Mulcahy.

After arriving at MARSOC in July 2006, Mulcahy pushed the communications capability of the command to new levels. Mulcahy was instrumental in introducing the Special Operations Forces Information Enterprise, the U.S. Special Operations Command’s classified communications network, to MARSOC. The SIE is now fully functional and used within MARSOC.

Yet another important contribution introduced by the G-6 under the command of Mulcahy was the introduction of the MARSOC Network Operators Course, an innovative and groundbreaking transformation in the way communications are taught and practiced.

“MNOC is probably our biggest achievement in the G-6,” said Mulcahy. “It developed rigorous and thorough training standards for our SOF communicators.”

Despite all the important changes he has made to the Marine Corps and the communications field throughout his career, Mulcahy still claims his greatest moments as a leader came from the accomplishments of the Marines he works with.

“It's the relationships,” explained Mulcahy. “My proudest moments were when a Marine under my command was recognized positively and knowing that I may have played some small role in their accomplishment.”

Ellie