No boot camp before being sent to Korea.
Create Post

No boot camp before being sent to Korea.

I can not find any reference or anything in Archives about what happened during the Korean War. There were many Marines, mostly Reservists, that were activated for the Korean war and landed at Inchon, without having been to boot camp.

I would like to do an article, but, just can't find any info on it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hercules1944 View Post
    I can not find any reference or anything in Archives about what happened during the Korean War. There were many Marines, mostly Reservists, that were activated for the Korean war and landed at Inchon, without having been to boot camp.

I would like to do an article, but, just can't find any info on it.
    I know I've read in several books that this happened to only reservists who had enlisted in a unit, but had not gone to boot camp. They got activated with their unit and learned their new trade on the ship from the WWII vets.

If I can find those books, I'll let you know the cites.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36 View Post
    I know I've read in several books that this happened to only reservists who had enlisted in a unit, but had not gone to boot camp. They got activated with their unit and learned their new trade on the ship from the WWII vets.

If I can find those books, I'll let you know the cites.
    That would be appreciated. I know Leatherneck did an article on in back in the 50's. After active duty and broken service, I enlisted in the USMCR. There were a few of the old duffers left, but I have no clue what their unit/s were at the time. I did duty with MWHS-FOUR and MP Company 4th MAR/DIV at Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN. in the Reserve, these were not the units back then.

Those guys swore by it, that after Korean service, they were ordered to boot camp. That must have been a hoot, guys with Silver Stars, Bronze Stars and Purple Hearts in boot camp. I bet they scared the chit of those DI's.

Thread Information