Enlisting Under GED vs High School Diploma
Create Post
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Enlisting Under GED vs High School Diploma

I was just wondering if I could get a clear answer on my enlistment eligibility. I'm twenty years old and I've spent the last few weeks of my summer talking to several recruiters about joining by the fall. Unfortunately, my recruiter told me I wouldn't even be considered with just my GED and that I was required to obtain 15 credits (I currently have six at the local community college).

Is this true?

I should also mention that because of some convenient loophole in Maryland, I received a "High School Diploma from the State of Maryland" after passing the GED test, NOT a GED Certificate. Can this benefit me in any way or get me over this slight obstacle? Right now my recruiter would like for me to sign and be part of the DEP until I have 15 full credits. I'd much rather get shipped out in the Fall, rather than have to wait until January of next year. Any advice or new information would be greatly appreciated.

yes this is true. the Marines hold their recruits to a higher standard. if you couldn't manage to complete high school then how do they know you can earn the title of Marine? you have to prove yourself in a small way so go get those credits!

why not get those extra credits it will give you an E-2 instead of E-1

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Tom88...Do a search in the Poolee Forum or Ask A Marine this subject has been broached and discussed many times. What the recruiter told you is true. Punch in GED and you should come up with quite a few answers.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the quick response. I apologize if this seems repetitive, perhaps I should have worded my post a little differently. I already had a basic understanding as to the standards for potential recruits, I was actually just trying to double check that the fact that I received a High School Diploma, rather than a GED certificate, had no impact on my eligibility. Oh well. =\

I didn't realize I could come out with a higher rank with those 15 credits. I thought that only applied if you were a college graduate or something. Even though I need those 15 just to enlist, could I really come in as an E2? Again, I apologize if this is an overlapping question. I'll be sure to search some of the older topics before posting again.

Ya from what i was taught a recruiters school, you only need 2 referals, 15 credits, some eagle scout thinger and promoted during bootcamp

the recruiters school is a joking among me and some friends and other deppers

The diploma from the state of Maryland is the same thing as a GED. Its the same way in Arkansas. Get those 15 credits and join up.

So you have to delay your plans a little. I had a mother who made me go to college before I could hit the fleet. I thank the lord everyday that her wisdom brought me to where I am now a 23 year old team leader as a boot Lance Corporal. I could especially say that the extra knowledge and growing up I did in college. Especially learning from mistakes, understanding how to deal with other 18-24 year olds, and I'm not gonna lie learning how to drink my socks off, has helped me extensively in this gun club.

Take the time, prove not only to your recruiter that you are willing to make up for your past mistakes, but prove it to yourself that you can. Take the knowlege that you gain and be prepared to use it in the Marine Corps. You never know what might be able to help you. This will be your first step towards wanting to complete your goal. If you think thats bad...try to be like Accord and lose a bunch of weight...I swear its harder...don't even think about Bootcamp if you think thats too hard...it'll be way over your level

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    So you actually have a diploma? Not a GED certificate?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    That's correct, but as it turns out that does me little good. Other than being able to say I have a diploma and not a certificate, I don't even know why it's done this way in Maryland.

i hope that didn't come off as my being lazy. I don't mind having to take a few more classes, I'm just eager to join if everything works out. Thanks for giving me a new perspective on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom88 View Post
    That's correct, but as it turns out that does me little good. Other than being able to say I have a diploma and not a certificate, I don't even know why it's done this way in Maryland.

i hope that didn't come off as my being lazy. I don't mind having to take a few more classes, I'm just eager to join if everything works out. Thanks for giving me a new perspective on the matter.
    It says diploma but it is just a GED. Thats the way they do it in Arkansas also.

My friend Adam got in on a GED spot. I'm happy about it too because he got me to PFC since he wrote me as a referal and I already had one before him. =]

Thread Information