Active vs. Reserve
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Active vs. Reserve

I did a search to see if this has already been discussed and I didn't find anything, so if it has been recently I'm sorry.

I am having trouble on deciding whether or not to be active or a reservist. They both have their up and down sides.

I am 20 years old and currently living with my grandparents so being active would get me out on my own. On the other hand being a reservist would allow me to come home, get a job, and continue school.

My question is what would you do in my situation and what lead to the decision for you to become active or a reservist?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by TSULLI View Post
    I did a search to see if this has already been discussed and I didn't find anything, so if it has been recently I'm sorry.

I am having trouble on deciding whether or not to be active or a reservist. They both have their up and down sides.

I am 20 years old and currently living with my grandparents so being active would get me out on my own. On the other hand being a reservist would allow me to come home, get a job, and continue school.

My question is what would you do in my situation and what lead to the decision for you to become active or a reservist?

Thanks!
    I joined the Marines at the height of the Vietnam conflict, because it seemed to me that my country needed my service, and I was (and remain) one of those people who took JFK's statement 'Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country' to heart.

I believe that the situation today is even more compelling, because the enemy we are at war with, declared war against us (an eternal war, that will never end, called 'jihad'), and is also, by its own admission and actions, an utterly depraved and despicable enemy... one that seeks nothing less than the absolute forced conversion, enslavement, or murder of every man, woman and child on the planet.

If American citizens choose not to defend themselves against the Islamofacist threat at every level, cultural, legislative, demographic, and on the field of battle... then American citizens will have earned, for themselves, their children, and all future generations, an extremely miserable existence... whatever Islam chooses to dish out to them.

It seems to me that most Americans are presently very interested in what their country can do for them, and much less interested in what they can do for their country.

Choose your course wisely.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". -- George Orwell

Fill out your profile... if you do not do it quickly, this thread will be deleted, and my other reply to you will be deleted along with it, which will not make me very happy, as I do not like having my time unnecessarily wasted.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I did fill it out. Am I missing something?

Oh, I see... my mistake. The website had a recent face-lift, and I was used to seeing the old profile page, which had everything in plain sight. The new profile page has everything tabbed, and now that I am up to speed, and know where to find things, I am good to go.

What do you want to do in the Marine Corps?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Im not sure yet. I was thinking 6217-F/A 18 Mech, but I still have no idea. Thats another thing, if I go in active I may not get the exact MOS I want.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingMan View Post
    'Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country' to heart.

I believe that the situation today is even more compelling, because the enemy we are at war with, declared war against us (an eternal war, that will never end, called 'jihad'), and is also, by its own admission and actions, an utterly depraved and despicable enemy... one that seeks nothing less than the absolute forced conversion, enslavement, or murder of every man, woman and child on the planet.

If American citizens choose not to defend themselves against the Islamofacist threat at every level, cultural, legislative, demographic, and on the field of battle... then American citizens will have earned, for themselves, their children, and all future generations, an extremely miserable existence... whatever Islam chooses to dish out to them.

It seems to me that most Americans are presently very interested in what their country can do for them, and much less interested in what they can do for their country.

Choose your course wisely.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf". -- George Orwell

Amen Brother, Amen

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    funny...............all I did was type active or reserve in that little search bar and came up with 20 pages of crap!

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I found that stuff to but I did not see one that was along the same lines. If there is I must have missed it. Sorry.

Go Active,Tim.
    I did,to get out on my own.....
    Reserv is okay but I wanted active.

Do you personally know any Marines either active or reserve?

I was 8 years active duty and 4 years active reserve....whats your question...?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by cantoine View Post
    Do you personally know any Marines either active or reserve?
    All of the Marines I know are reserve. I like the idea of being able to come back home, hang out with my friends, spend some time with my family, work, and go to school, but I am also drawn to active because it would get me out on my own instead of living with my parents.

So I am stuck trying to decide on reserve or active.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    I was 8 years active duty and 4 years active reserve....whats your question...?
    My question was how did you Marines decide on either active or reserve? What kind of situations moved you toward your decision. I am just trying to get some different point of views on the subject.

Thread Information