I apologize if I haven't earned the right to ask this question.
Create Post

I apologize if I haven't earned the right to ask this question.

Since joining the Corps, I have learned more about the GWOT, how the military is financed, and a great deal of other things that will affect me over (at least) the next 4-8 years. I have always been well informed politically, and have been willing to defend my opinions. I don't want to debate or start a political discussion

I would just like to know if life in the Corps has led any of you to rethink your political views. I know this seems unimportant to many. To me though, this is one of the most important aspects of, well, for lack of a better term, thinking process.

Again, I apologize if this is out of line. I would just like to know if life in the military has led to any philosophical changes. I don't expect anyone to articulate those changes. I would just simply like to know if this is normal (or if I just read too much)

I am going to punish myself in advance, I'll go hit the bar now.

Your political views may change as you mature. Even if your opinions don't change, you may become either more hardline or moderate as your experience the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeab84 View Post
    I would just like to know if life in the Corps has led any of you to rethink your political views
    The general public still has no acute sense of danger from threats abroad or decay within and often to the point of flippant vapidity, until grief bangs on the door. A country is nothing more than you put into it and ours owes us nothing beyond that. Taxes keep street lamps lit, fences in repair and men and women on watch. Security is a fragile entity, often an illusion and a mean blunder to relax and take this for granted. Thats how i now see it.
    ...philosophical changes...
    Itinerant philosophers and political theorists are notoriously underemployed. I got an appointment with the trenches in the morning

--->Dave

My political views haven't changed TOO much, but I'm def. a bit more center than I was before.

When political discussions kick up around me I tend to keep my opinions to myself...really don't think politics mix too well with the workplace.

Being overseas twice has made me more internationally concerned. I haven't really changed any of my key political beliefs as a result of having served.

Thread Information