Introduction and ?'s...
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Introduction and ?'s...

Hello,

I'd like to start off by introducing myself. My name is Mike and I hail from Sandusky, OH. About 6 months ago I decided to enlist in the military. I most recently (4months) decided to try and become a United States Marine. I started out at 295lbs and have worked my ass off to a most recent weight of 248lbs as of a week ago. Which for 6'2" @ 21 yrs old is just enough to be able to go to MEPS. That's where I find myself now, waiting until July 1st to go to MEPS. Prior to going, I had to sit down with my recruiter as most of you have done. While filling out the standard health forms, you know, the 'have you ever' questions... I found myself mentally questioning my recruiter.

I was informed if I had questions on a particular selection to leave it blank and he would help me with it. One in particular was a question about ligament surgery. I had told him from the get-go that I had knee surgery back in 2003. He informed me to fill the spot as a 'NO' because it was over 2 years and I didn't have to disclose this information. Now to my questions...

1) Is this true?
    2) I took his advice, could it come back to haunt me?
    3) What about getting TS clearance... if I were to be called on this, would it jeopardize that?
    4) If it were to taint my record, do I have any recourse on the recruiter?

You're going to have to have to either go with the flow with your recruiter, and follow instructions, or come clean with MEPS after you have already lied to them.

Hypothetically speaking, if you were caught lying, it would all be on you, not your recruiter. I would think you've got a big scar from the surgery, they're going to ask you "What happened?" and so on. Good luck.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    sandusky????// I'm from Canton,,,,, Don't lie!. It always come home.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    As said a hundred times HONESTY is the best policy! Declare any health problems and any surgeries or injuries. Also declare any legal issues.

If you lie or are less than honest...it will be YOU that suffers in the long run! You may need a waiver or two..... however it is much better than being sent home for fraudulent enlistment! It WILL catch up to you!

Thanks for the prompt responses!

I feel that honesty is also the best thing for me to do. I worked too hard just to come this far to have it taken away from me. I plan on talking to his superior and seeing what I can do about it.

As far as the scars go, they are very tiny, possible smaller than a 1/4 inch. After the last few years have gone by they have shrunk enough and I have enough hair on my legs to cover anything that would be visible. But I know if they go as indepth as I hear they do for any clearance issues I'm sure it will come up somewhere.

So all in all, the general concensus is that the "2 years or more" thing doesn't hold strong?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "2 years or more" thing doesn't hold strong?

No lie holds strong..........

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Talking to his superior will do nothing unless there is a breach of contract.

The two year thing is not true. If you have had ANY medical problems or psychological problems they must be declared and a waiver issued.

Same thing goes with any infractions with the law....juvernile or adult.

Declare it to your recruiter and declare ALL to MEPS!

Ratting on a recruiter to his senior will not only get you a bad name...but you paperwork may get lost.

Keep a profile so they know you are sincere and want to enlist... be a medium profile... not low and not high....keep initiative....direct the initiative and motivation in the right direction... stirring the pot is a bad foot to start off on.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Not telling MEPS, and you getting hurt in boot, and its the same leg. They will give you a fraudulent discharge, because you didn't disclose it. I have seen 4 people go home for that because they didnt disclose that information. Let MEPS, and a doctor tell you, you are able to go through boot camp.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkie View Post
    "2 years or more" thing doesn't hold strong?

No lie holds strong..........
    That was the whole point... I didn't know if it were a lie or not. That's why I asked.

Sounds like the surgery you has was a scope of the knee by the size of the scars. Best to fess up and tell all.

To clarify what I meant by superior....

The head recruiter for this station was originally my main recruiter. He has since been promoted, and can no longer be my main recruiter. Originally he said he would disclose the knee surgery because it was considered major surgery. But now, the new guy doesn't deem it neccesary. That's where my confusion laid.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Marine View Post
    Sounds like the surgery you has was a scope of the knee by the size of the scars. Best to fess up and tell all.

That would be correct.

I would say disclose it, I'm not a Marine but...my recruiter used to say that it's better to be upfront & get the waiver then to have something come back and bite you in the butt...

Well this is my first post on the site as well, but I just couldn't resist this thread. Hello Marines, and Poolees. Mr Morency depending on these next few pounds I may be seeing you at MEPS this Tuesday! I'm going up to the Recruiting Station this morning to fill out some paperwork, it's just that I'm still 4lb overweight. Looking forward to getting you meet you, time to go run some more!!

I agree with most everyone, do not hide anything, they will find out and it will end badly. Be upfront.

Thread Information