PFC Jacklyn H. Lucas
Create Post

Exclamation PFC Jacklyn H. Lucas

~ Hall of Heroes ~

PFC Jacklyn H. Lucas

Private First Class Jacklyn Harrell Lucas (February 14, 1928 – June 5, 2008) was a United States Marine who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroic actions during the Iwo Jima campaign — for unhesitatingly hurling himself over his comrades upon one grenade and for pulling another one under himself. One of the grenades exploded, and Lucas absorbed the entire blasting force of it with his own body and his helmet.

Private First Class Lucas, the youngest Marine ever to receive the United States' highest military decoration, was presented the award by President Harry S. Truman at the White House on Friday, October 5, 1945.

Lucas died of leukemia on June 5, 2008 at the age of 80 in Hattiesburg, Mississippi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacklyn_H._Lucas

Ellie

This what I consider a TRUE HERO!!!! He was modest, not seeking reward for his action. Living a modest life in our society. He accepted his reward in an 'aw shucks', who? Me?
    manner of a true, unabashed Hero. Not like some , both then and now who can not cope with their Fame which affects people in different ways, that seem to indicate the background of the individual. Sorry! I got on my horse and it ran away with the feeling.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I HAD THE HONOR OF DRINKING WITH THIS MARINE,BEING A LIFE MEMBER OF THE 5TH.MARINE DIVISION,PLUS MIKE CLAUSSEN DRANK WITH US AT THE SAME TABLE;THE SECRET SERVICE EVEN BROUGHT US A BOTTLE OF OUR FAVORITE BOOZE.IT WILL BE A GRAND REUNION SOMEDAY??? SEMPER~FI~THAT!!!

Last edited by FistFu68; 07-01-08 at 02:05 PM. Reason: CORRECT SPELLING

And ?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Aw-Shucks,It was an Honor;War Hero

Thread Information