Drug Test.
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drug Test.

Drug Test.

I was wondering if any chemicals (other than illegal drugs) can make you fail the drug test at boot camp. I am an appretice painter and I have been working around some pretty strong chemicals, some of which meth heads use to make meth. Im sorry if this is a stupid question, I just didn't want to screw up by failing a drug test at boot camp. I also promise I don't take drugs and never have.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Yep....they screen for ALL known drugs.But if you ain't huffin',puffin',smokin' or snortin' you don't have a problem!

You'll be fine, they are sent to a lab and done by people who know what they are doing. I don't know the exact process but if it's like civilian ones... if a positive is discovered it's rechecked using some machine that I can't remember (spectograph or something)
    So I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Quote Originally Posted by mattlw201 View Post
    I was wondering if any chemicals (other than illegal drugs) can make you fail the drug test at boot camp. I am an appretice painter and I have been working around some pretty strong chemicals, some of which meth heads use to make meth. Im sorry if this is a stupid question, I just didn't want to screw up by failing a drug test at boot camp. I also promise I don't take drugs and never have.
    They do screen for all drugs but mostly the illegal intoxicants and you shouldn't have a problem if you haven't been indulging in any illegal drugs...if you have...that drug test will DQ you quicker the anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper View Post
    Yep....they screen for ALL known drugs.But if you ain't HUFFIN',puffin',smokin' or snortin' you don't have a problem!
    I was mainly wondering on the "huffin", because I breath this crap all day. Thanks for all your answers.

Last edited by mattlw201; 06-19-08 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Fogot to thank.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was mainly wondering on the "huffin", because I breath this crap all day.
    If you're that concerned, go to your family doc and ask him to drug screen you. Explain why and exactly what chemicals you're concerned about. It might cost you a few bucks, but the peace of mind would be worth it.

Often, drug tests consist of two separate tests. The first, called a "presumptive test" is fairly simple and basically tells them "Yes" or "No." If yes, they run the second test, a "quantitative test" to check for exact chemicals and their concentrations. Sometimes they run random quantitative tests on "No" presumptive tests just to check accuracy. False positives on presumptive tests are common and due to many legitimate reasons, thus the second, more accurate, test.

Years ago, when I was in the Air National Guard and working in narcotics as a civilian cop, I often had to supervise the incineration of drugs, including marijuana. Several other departments used my department's incinerator, so I was frequently around the stuff.

I never popped hot on a pee test, even a little. I did seek advice from my the unit's hospital commander, and he told me to have my Chief write a letter each time I burned drugs to bring to the next drill in case my number was called to pee. The doc told me that the chances of secondary exposure causing a hot test was very remote and if it was hot, they could tell by the concentrations whether it was primary or secondary exposure. The letter was just backup, but it gave me peace of mind.

As a funny aside, I was running the incinerator one day for another PD and we were burning about 300lbs of marijuana. One of the civilian clerks came downstairs and told us that birds were falling off the telephone wires that ran near the incinerator chimney. Must have been some potent stuff.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    As a funny aside, I was running the incinerator one day for another PD and we were burning about 300lbs of marijuana. One of the civilian clerks came downstairs and told us that birds were falling off the telephone wires that ran near the incinerator chimney. Must have been some potent stuff.

Loony Birds!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If you ain't shootin Draino up your Azz,,,,,, You'll be fine.

It's more the compound that creates amphetamine that any drug test would be looking for. Don't worry. What you really need to worry about is those poppy seed bagels. You don't want the Corps thinking you're a dope fiend!

also..if you take a week or so off from work before boot, it'll be out of your system. Most drugs are out in a week. Even pot will be out quickly if you don't spend your life smoking it.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    B.S. Pot stays in your system longer than a week....and even though the government doesn't use use the test for MEPS & boot camp the hair folicle test stays a lot longer.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeab84 View Post
    What you really need to worry about is those poppy seed bagels. You don't want the Corps thinking you're a dope fiend!
    This is a common misconception. You would have to literally eat gallons of poppy seeds to remotely pop on a pee test. I used to work at MCT Geiger. We had to p-test all incoming and I was chosen as the P*ss Coordinator for my company. That p had to be guarded at all times!! Labelled correctly, the date in the correct format... it was a pain. Then we would transport it to Lejeune (where the main P-shack was) they would then ship it to some lab in Florida... least that's what they told me. At that time, steroids were not looked for. A special test was apparently required for that, and much more expensive.

I have seen a fair share of Marines showing up to MCT, very nervous about the p-test. Several made confessions to us that they "took a hit off a joint while on leave."

Anyways, you will be fine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just make sure you tell the one that collects the sample about it. they look for specific markers in the test. I passed a drug test after being on Demerol for 4 days for kidney stones! But I told them I had been.

You should be fine.If anthing shows up they will re-test you.

The drug screen is just that they are looking for an issue. If you are honest then you will have no problem. drugs do show in your system alot longer than people realize but the people doing the test's are looking at the drug level such as THC which shows from tomatoes as well as pot but the level may be 20 from tomatoes where as a full blown user runs about 200. All the gimmicks on the market are just there to take your money.
    You will find if you do not use you will have no problem and if you have had contact just be honest it pay's off and it is a Corps value. just my piece on this

Thread Information