With all the Negative Reactions people seem to get . . . - Page 2
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    All my friends think its pretty cool that Im going in. At graduation a bunch of my friends gave me a "standing O" when I walked the stage. That was probably the coolest thing yet. Then again I aint joining to get responces from people, haha.

I'm not a poolee yet, I will be in a few months though, but the best moto I've experienced is when I was at the gym, and it was real, real busy. I was running on the track, and a buddy of mine (who is a retired Marine and knows I'm enlisting), told his old Marine friends I was enlisting, and they all stopped lifting and started yellin' Ooh-Rah. Then they started talkin' to me and gave me a few words of encouragement and told me some crazy **** about Vietnam. Man, if you can imagine that, it was one of the best feelings I've had in a while. Ever since then, I've worked 10 times harder than I did before, and I can't wait to earn that EGA.

An elderly man I helped load some concrete for at the Home Depot I part-time at was small-talking with me. The usual stuff, thanking me for helping with the concrete load, asking how it is working here, etc. I mentioned I'm only working for the summer or so, and he asked "Oh yeah, what's after this? College?" "Nah, Marine Corps." He just silently gave me a knowing smile and a tough handshake. Then I noticed the Korean War Veteran hat he had sitting on his truck's dashboard as he was pulling out.

at my graduation about a third of my class gave me several loud OOORAH's....haha

A great deal of my friends are "well educated" liberals, and they all have a whole diatribe on how I'm either being duped into putting my life on the line for someone else's profit or I'm going to become inhuman. Then they go on enjoying the freedom (and the oil that that every single military action is apparently about) provided by the idiots and warmongers they just bad mouthed. I love these people to death, but they need to get their heads out of their professors ass.

When I spoke with a friend of mine and told him about my MOS and the benefits available he was shocked at how well taken care of you are if you just do your duty to the extent that you signed up for. I've gotten mixed reactions of pride and fear from my family.

Last edited by mikeab84; 06-17-08 at 01:02 AM. Reason: didn't complete thought

Quote Originally Posted by Reagan View Post
    An elderly man I helped load some concrete for at the Home Depot I part-time at was small-talking with me. The usual stuff, thanking me for helping with the concrete load, asking how it is working here, etc. I mentioned I'm only working for the summer or so, and he asked "Oh yeah, what's after this? College?" "Nah, Marine Corps." He just silently gave me a knowing smile and a tough handshake. Then I noticed the Korean War Veteran hat he had sitting on his truck's dashboard as he was pulling out.

Reagan, reading that reminded me of how some of the people at my favorite bar reacted. Baby boomers and guys/gals our age told me how wrong it was. That generation that did so much for us seemed to understand why I was doing it, and tended to buy me a beer (or let me buy them a round) and give me a pat on the back or a kind word or stories from their service.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeab84 View Post
    A great deal of my friends are "well educated" liberals, and they all have a whole diatribe on how I'm either being duped into putting my life on the line for someone else's profit or I'm going to become inhuman. Then they go on enjoying the freedom (and the oil that that every single military action is apparently about) provided by the idiots and warmongers they just bad mouthed.
    I know all about that. When we had to do persuasive speeches in my English class, a friend of mine (thezero) did it on mandatory military service. Of course, after he was done, a... "discussion" started about it. All the liberals, including my teacher, started in about war is bad, and all the join the Peace Corps stuff. Pretty much it was myself and thezero against the whole damn class. Then later, they were talking to me about how to join a better service and sh*t like that. They didn't even really know what they were saying, so Matt and I won. It was great.

Oh, and I have gotten quite a few good responses from people. Lots of handshakes and things like that. If its like this now, I can't wait 'till I'm a Poolie.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My best reaction was from my older brother,,," You'll never make it, idiot". LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I signed my contract Feb 1 1985. The RSS officer asked if I was willing to ship that day. I said can I at least go home and tell my mom I have joined the Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    LOL! You're going to hear that a lot!
    Yeah. It doesn't bug me that much. I found it funny. They got mad when I laughed.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonzack View Post
    Yeah. It doesn't bug me that much. I found it funny. They got mad when I laughed.
    Let me assure you, that Kim (Marine84) is more of a Marine than most I know and more of a woman than any of us can handle. She is Marine to the Core! I'd listen to her if I were you.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by davblay View Post
    Let me assure you, that Kim (Marine84) is more of a Marine than most I know and more of a woman than any of us can handle. She is Marine to the Core! I'd listen to her if I were you.

Dave
    Yes, sir.

When I decided to enlist the coolest thing I got was from my biological father, his father was a Vietnam Vet. When I finally enlisted (my 17th b-day present) my father came to terms with the fact I wasn't a little girl anymore & gave me my grandfather's chain with a cross that he wore during his enlistment & time over seas...it took my through bootcamp & surgery when I was medically discharged during boot...I still wear it, I'm not a Marine-but not from lack of heart...

Marines

I enlisted 4 days after my 17th b day. I go to boot camp in 20 days but my dad a Marine himself told me when i was younger if i ever joined another branch i was not a man. So ever since i was a little kid i wanted to be a Marine. But as far as dating goes wow you tell a girl you joined the Marines girls cant stand it i just wish i could find one to deal with it.

When I joined, I was 22. Just laid off from a job, just excused my ex-wife from her position for reasons I'd rather not disclose. The biggest response, other than all the phone #'s and addresses, was from my father. I was the first Marine in the family and he asked me "Why the Marines?". I told him that it was due to the fact that every generation there has been a conflict, war or otherwise. I wanted to be trained by the toughest, hardest, and bravest so that I would be able to come back from said conflict should I end up going. That was the most memorable question/answer that was ever spoken to me.

Thread Information