Crew Chief
Create Post

Thread: Crew Chief

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Crew Chief

About.com says that a helo crew chief in usmc is open to PVT-GySgt. I would love to do this, but what are the odds of becoming a crew chief as PFC or LCpl?

You need to get the crew chief MOS or at least aviation to go homegrown. Either that or re up when its time and lat move. Doesn't matter what rank you are really, that just meant as a 6174 the highest rank you'll go with that MOS is Gunny. After that theres another MOS, you could become flight line chief or some other job.

Credits
    Savings
    Didn't I just read this somewhere else????

Come to think of it you probably have read this somewhere else, I almost remember posting almost the same response at one time or another. Use the search poolees! Next time I might remember that I already answered a question before.

Marine Free Member Shotgunner12Ga's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    By the time you finish school, you will probably be only a few months from Lance Corporal.

Crew Chief is no joke.

You need fairly high MM score, atleast an S level clearance, and be a very strong swimmer.

If you qualify, you'll do some crewman training, SERE school, and A and C schools in New River.

SERE school is one of the most demanding experiences an individual can ever go through. I've heard plenty of horror stories. This is the same school SEALs go through, so you'll be in for a treat

you'll actually be damn close to picking up Cpl! haha, it's like a year and a half school, but you can't get promoted till you get a MOS and that doesn't happen until you graduate.

I went through MT maint school with a re-tread from the crew chief school, he unk'd at the last test and they dropped him to MTM.... that sucked for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Petzold View Post
    you'll actually be damn close to picking up Cpl! haha, it's like a year and a half school, but you can't get promoted till you get a MOS and that doesn't happen until you graduate.

I went through MT maint school with a re-tread from the crew chief school, he unk'd at the last test and they dropped him to MTM.... that sucked for him.
    Ouch, I don't know what is worse. Being dropped AFTER SERE training, or on the last TD of boot.

I think sere is after you get the classes out of the way... I'm sure they don't put you through that class until they know you can do the job first.... money issue and all.

Crew Chief

Ok, speaking as a crew chief the following is pretty much what you could expect

1st - you attend NACCS (Naval Aircrew Candidate School) in Pensacola, Fl. The school is exactly what it sounds like, a candidate school to see if you can meet the minimum requirements. The school is something like 3 weeks long. The first week you can expect to do mostly admin stuff and minimal pt. The second week is known as "hell week" You PT for about 4 hours in the morning then you swim for about 4 hours in the afternoon. If you are not a strong swimmer have no fear, they have plenty of one on one time to teach you the basics that you need to know. Just know that you need to get at least a 2nd class swim qual in boot camp to qual for NACCS. The 3rd week is "disney week" thats when you have fun with the high pressure chamber and the spin and puke. after you graduate you will find out which aircraft you are going to be on. From P-Cola more then likely you will head up to Maine for SERE school. Listen the school sucks and its one of the only schools you cant DOR, but i assure you it will be one of the most rewarding experiances of your life. From there you will attend your mech school followed by flight school. as a crew chief you will be part of the flight line shop which consists of mechs and crew chiefs. You will be a mech as well as a crew chief so you do get a little shafted, but at the same time you get to fly. I'm gonna tell you right now being a crew chief of mech alike are very demanding jobs. You will work long hours and be deployed probably 6-7 months out of the year. If you have anymore questions feel free to send me a direct email to eric.m.dorfman@hoa.centcom.mil

Crew Chief

email me at eric.m.dorfman@hoa.centcom.mil if you have any questions regarding becoming or being a crewchief.

Crew Chief

email me at eric.m.dorfman@hoa.centcom.mil if you have any direct questions regarding becoming a crewchief. I just wrote a huge blog about it, but the computer froze up and i have no desire to re-write it. sooo ask away

email me at eric.m.dorfman@hoa.centcom.mil if you have any direct questions regarding becoming a crewchief. I just wrote a huge blog about it, but the computer froze up and i have no desire to re-write it. sooo ask away

see there you go.... someone who know's.... topic done.

Thread Information