Making Lance at boot?
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Making Lance at boot?

First, I'm ready for all of you to put me in my place for even asking about a promotion before boot!

Can you make LCpl in boot w/o an e-2 promotion going in or making Honor Grad. And what would someone with low ISTs do to make up for that?

I want to lead, but w/me ISTs at 3, 81 and 12:19 I don't want to hold the platoon back. I will give 1000%, as all recruits should at boot.

Any advice on the promotion opportunities and wanting to take a leadership position?

As always, thank you for any advice (or any bit of putting me in my place as well)!

Someone who wants to make Lance out of boot knows how to use the Search Function.

Sam..you're right. Not to make excuses, but my computer isn't allowing the search to go through (and tells me to contact the administrator)...Ill keep trying, and apologize for breaking one of the cardinal rules of posting something that has been discussed.

ohhh, and if you got a thread for me to check out in the poolee hall or ask a Marine, let me know..

Fair enough, mike.

What I've been essentially told, is that you've got to catch the DI's attention, and show them that you're the best.
    Good rifle scores, good PFT, good leadership potential.
    Good luck, poolee.

Thanks Sam!

And I can't wait to see the term "poolee" under your name! You seem like you got the right attitude. and a good head on your shoulders. I wish I had the clarity of purpose you have when I was your age

If I did, I wouldn't have let my politics get in the way, and enlisted at 18. I've done a lot of growing up between 16 and now, and know I would've done a lot more if I had spent some of that time in uniform.

As one PFC back from MCT told me, "Guide, there's no shame in leaving the depot a Pvt., unless you started with three stripes and a rocker!" And trust me, he had stories to back up that claim.

Good point, but nor is there anything wrong with striving to be the best.

And Mike, I'll be a poolee soon enough, I hope. Thanks for the moto, man.

Good call, Mike. I'm going to be happy just getting the title! Doesn't hurt asking for advice though!

Used to be fairly common for the platoon honor grad(the guide of course) to get LCpl if they were already a PFC. In my Company our Series GySgt said it was impossible, that they weren't going to promote anyone to LCpl. Best thing to do is to work your ass off anyways. If you go in as an E-1 you could very well get meritorious promotion to PFC. But thats up to your SDI.

But I'm not sure about the other companies if they promote their honor grads to Lcpl. Might of just been my company(Echo) or it might be all of them. But in the end don't even worry about that trash. Just constantly do your best anyways.

Mikeab84, this in reply to your question about getting L/Cpl out of Boot Camp, I served in our beloved Corps from 08-1966 to 09-1969 & I've never heard of any one getting E-3 out of Boot Camp, the best you can get is PFC & being the Honor man of the Platoon or Comapny, that will get you a free pair of dress blues. Good Luck in Boot Camp. Oh yeah one bit of advise, don't refer to the Drill Instructor when addressing him as you. That's a no no. Semper Fi

Quote Originally Posted by m60mudmarine View Post
    Mikeab84, this in reply to your question about getting L/Cpl out of Boot Camp, I served in our beloved Corps from 08-1966 to 09-1969 & I've never heard of any one getting E-3 out of Boot Camp, the best you can get is PFC & being the Honor man of the Platoon or Comapny, that will get you a free pair of dress blues. Good Luck in Boot Camp. Oh yeah one bit of advise, don't refer to the Drill Instructor when addressing him as you. That's a no no. Semper Fi
    Actually you get issued Dress Blues anyways now.

Allen 870922, I was reading your quote & you made a statement that you could only get L/Cpl if you were a PFC, when you go into Boot Camp everyone's a PVT there are no PFC recrute's, I know it's been 42 yrs since I was a Boot busting his ass on the Grinder, the Corps could not have changed that much.

Semper Fi

Thanks Marines and poolees! I want to reinerate, you can make up a new rank of e-0 for me, as long as I get the title!!!

Quote Originally Posted by m60mudmarine View Post
    Allen 870922, I was reading your quote & you made a statement that you could only get L/Cpl if you were a PFC, when you go into Boot Camp everyone's a PVT there are no PFC recrute's, I know it's been 42 yrs since I was a Boot busting his ass on the Grinder, the Corps could not have changed that much.

Semper Fi
    As far as I know, all recruits are considered recruits until they graduate, w/some coming into boot w/a guarantee of e-2 IF they finish, sir.

Thread Information