I Have My Mos, Now What?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I Have My Mos, Now What?

Alright, I signed up for Aviation Mechanic. I know there are dozens of jobs that fall under AF, but what determines which job you will be getting? For instance, I would love to have 6114, but what could I do, after I earn the title, in my power to make that happen?

Thanks, Marines.

Quote Originally Posted by SEANstaah View Post
    Alright, I signed up for Aviation Mechanic. I know there are dozens of jobs that fall under AF, but what determines which job you will be getting? For instance, I would love to have 6114, but what could I do, after I earn the title, in my power to make that happen?

Thanks, Marines.

This sounds like an excellent question for your recruiter...and any answer from any of us would be pure speculation as we don't know the specifics of your contract...or why your chose what you did when you did...understand?

You shouldn't sign up until you have the job that you want. If you leave for boot camp without 6114 on your contract you won't get it. So basically get it changed before you leave

I asked the Field Commander of my recruiting station, and he said that it all depends on how you do at your mos school. He also stated that you can "request" what you want at MCT.

My recruiter stated that he's "..not sure on how that works," but he'll call a Gunny, who's in the Air Wing, from another station, to get that information.

I'm just trying to get different perspectives on the topic. I'll talk to my recruiter about it on Monday.

Thanks Marines, any additional info would be appreciated.

Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Hang on and enjoy the ride....

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    I Have My Mos, Now What?

If ALL else fails PUNT!

And get it in writing and safeguard your paperwork.

As Phantom Blooper said get it in writing because word of mouth is not a basis for guarantee. Accepting any thing by word of mouth is about as good as me telling you yes you can be commandant tomorrow if you want to in other words it ain't going to happen. Always and again always get all promises in writing and be sure to read everything and all the fine print. Don't let anyone just tell you everything will be alright and that you will get it later. Make sure it is written down and double copy everything and file one for yourself no matter what for believe me paper has a way of disappearing.

The AF contract covers the 6000 6100 6200 fields, or at least most of those jobs. I'm a 6174 an I work side by side with 6114s. With that AF, you could get anything from support equipment to mechanic on rotary or fixed wing. This is from my buddy's mouth, and he is a 6114. In MCT they tell you what you got and where you go. Still won'te hurt to ask you recruiter if he knows anyone or can do anything. Other than that, you get what the Marine Corps needs.

Oh, I see. Well I'm meeting with my recruiter tomorrow. If word from your 6114 friend is true, then it must be the luck of the draw. Does your ASVAB score have anything to do with what they will put you in? Oh well, I'll just hope for the best, and learn to love whatever they assign me, once I earn the title.

Okay, got the information.

If I am the top 10% of my class during my schooling, then I get to choose. If not, then the Corps will choose for me.

You wanna be a 6114 huh? Well I'm one now and if you're an aviation mech chances are you'll get 6114 because right now its considered a critical MOS. My buddy (a fellow 6114) was selected for MSG duty but they couldnt cut orders because his MOS is "critical". I think this is mainly because we are switching from the AH-1W Cobra to the AH-1Z, and UH-1N Huey to the UH-1Y. Both are 4 bladed as apposed to the older two bladed design. I'm going on the first overseas carrier deployment with the new uh-1y.So good luck with getting 6114 and if you do, hope to get orders to HMLA 267. its the only MEU squadron at Pendleton

Oh and chances are your only actual choices at MOS school will be if you want East coast or West coast as a 6114

That sounds great, but I won't get my hopes up. Thanks for the insight.

Bringing my thread back alive.

UPDATE: I have since earned the title, and got what I wished for, 6114. Currently a student at MCAS Camp Pendleton CNATT MARUNIT. Just started class, it's been awesome so far. Now just got to focus and stay motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by SEANstaah View Post
    Bringing my thread back alive.

UPDATE: I have since earned the title, and got what I wished for, 6114. Currently a student at MCAS Camp Pendleton CNATT MARUNIT. Just started class, it's been awesome so far. Now just got to focus and stay motivated.
    See? Dreams can come true....whoa wait, "MCAS Camp Pendleton?" Since when did Pendleton become an Air Station??

Thread Information