Getting doubts about my mos choice
Create Post

Getting doubts about my mos choice

Over the past few days I've been getting some serious doubts about my MOS choice. Initially, I wanted intelligence but because of something out of my control I couldn't pick that. After some more thinking and reading around I came to the conclusion that infantry was what I wanted. Eventually I told my recruiter and we signed up for that.

Well now I'm starting to get some real doubts, I'm not going to get into the reasons in this post though as I'm sure countless other people before me have had them all so that would be nothing new.

So I'm thinking about calling the recruiter and changing my job, what I want to know though before I do anything hasty is what other jobs "do stuff". I don't mean that in a way that other jobs don't do anything I mean that I want a job that there's a possibility to go out in the field and do things not staty in a base if/when I get deployed. I know, "every Marine is a rifleman" but hearing from many Marines, that doesn't apply all the time.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by NeedSomePT View Post
    Over the past few days I've been getting some serious doubts about my MOS choice. Initially, I wanted intelligence but because of something out of my control I couldn't pick that. After some more thinking and reading around I came to the conclusion that infantry was what I wanted. Eventually I told my recruiter and we signed up for that.

Well now I'm starting to get some real doubts, I'm not going to get into the reasons in this post though as I'm sure countless other people before me have had them all so that would be nothing new.

So I'm thinking about calling the recruiter and changing my job, what I want to know though before I do anything hasty is what other jobs "do stuff". I don't mean that in a way that other jobs don't do anything I mean that I want a job that there's a possibility to go out in the field and do things not staty in a base if/when I get deployed. I know, "every Marine is a rifleman" but hearing from many Marines, that doesn't apply all the time.

Thanks.

What are you asking here? You are not making much sense.

Amazing....

He's saying he wants his damn cake, and he's going to eat it also.

WTF is stuff?

Bet you want to tell the girls your going to do some stuff in the Marines.. friggin whoa

We are Marines and we train to kill the enemy in the protection of this country. Stuff, you want to do stuff,,, join a knitting group and knit stuff.

You can't just do what you want, went you want to, until you earn it.

In your first enlistment contract in the Corps, you do two things, three things:

A) Infantry
    B) Air Wing
    C) Various support roles of A and B

...99% of ALL jobs in the Marines go to the field and get to do some "stuff," some spend more time there then others but just about every Marine is proficient at doing "stuff."

Quit second guessing yourself and go be a grunt like a good boy, and then maybe when you earn it you can do some better stuff...

You can't possibly imagine what kind of cool "stuff" there is out there to do....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Doing STUFF as a Marine.

I got to do all sorts of stuff in the Corps, some nowhere close to my MOS.

In Vietnam I was a truck driver by MOS. I was a fire team leader in my squadron's provisional rifle platoon, I was a unit armorer, I gave classes to NCOs and SNCOs on the M-16 as they only knew the M-14, I worked on the flight line helping the ordies load bombs, and helped the plane captains launch their aircraft.

Worked out of S-4, learned how to order supplies, learned how the embark system worked by helping the embark NCO (a friend who was KIA). Once in a while I even drove a truck and got bullets shot at me more than most people in the air group (except some other truck drivers and the pilots, of course). I was even the squadron mail clerk. I did everything EXCEPT what my billet position was: CO's driver. The boss drove himself just so I could do all those other things for the greater good of the squadron.

I even met with Montagnard people at the Long Binh base and negotiated with the tribal chief to take down some unused, old bunkers in his territory because we needed the sandbags due to a shortage. Only cost a couple of cartons of Salem cigs. Not too many lance corporals got to do that.

There was lots of other STUFF that I did in Vietnam, my days were very full. But suffice it to say, I got a chance to do a lot of STUFF in just my first 18-months in the Marine Corps that I never would have been able to do anywhere else. I felt honored, and still do, to have had that chance to do all that STUFF.

Now, man-up, and do what you agreed to do. You'll be amazed at the STUFF you'll be able to do.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

Wookie that was funny but you were to the point.

Semper Fi 4 Life
    Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

Well it seems that "stuff" wasn't the best word to use, I didn't mean to make it sound bad.

I suppose a better term would be to "go out in the field." I'd want to have a job that has me going out in the field from time to time but not necessarely live out there.

I've read through a lot of this site and I've looked at the jobs on about.com but most don't talk much about the possibility of each jobs having do to things out in the field and what it i sthey would do. There's only so much you can guess.

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

You're best bet is just get a desk job. There no mos where you can go out in the field a little and get your hands dirty, and then head back to the rear and go to a desk job in the air conditioning. It's not going to happen, you seem wishy-washy to me.

Semper Fi 4 Life
    Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

I second that 0311. This guy might be better off in A/C with a window looking at the field. However, he might get jealous when he sees a company of infantry Marines in CH-53's flying above his office.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I don't know about nobody else but I kept myself busy doing stuff everywhere I went!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marine84 View Post
    I don't know about nobody else but I kept myself busy doing stuff everywhere I went!
    Especially in Iwakuni.

I was a grunt my first enlistment. Hated it. However, I reenlisted because I wanted to stay Marine and changed my MOS to administration. Hated that too. Whatever you decide to do, being a Marine is the most important factor here. You won't regret that decision as you can tell by the Marines here.

Actually, I think what you are looking for is called "Air Force".

Thread Information