Cant make up my mind
Create Post

Cant make up my mind

Well, i swore in april fools Day at Kansas city, MO. my mos is Combat Correspondent. My ship date is august 19th

Im having second thoughts about going active duty, I want to go Infantry Reserve. is there any Marine Infantry Reserve current or former who could tell me how Reserve life is?

How often can i change my Reserve post? or does it go by openings?

I want to get my paramedic License. I would also like to get a Fire science degree. My main goal is to Move out to california and get a job on a Fire department in the Bay area Nor-cal region. (born and raised)

what do you Marines think?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Oh God! Here we go.......................

Quote Originally Posted by Jay1636 View Post
    Well, i swore in april fools Day at Kansas city, MO. my mos is Combat Correspondent. My ship date is august 19th

Im having second thoughts about going active duty, I want to go Infantry Reserve. is there any Marine Infantry Reserve current or former who could tell me how Reserve life is?

I want to get my paramedic License. I would also like to get a Fire science degree. My main goal is to Move out to california and get a job on a Fire department in the Bay area Nor-cal region. (born and raised)

2/23 Echo Company right here......your only Reserve 0311 unit in the Bay Area.

Being Reservist is not "easy". Nor is it Active Duty.

My schedule from 6/2/08 up until 6/13/08 was/is as follows (5 drill weekend, our drills have usually been 6 drills)

6/2-6/5- 12 hours at work per day, Gear Prep, Online classes @ Marine Net.

6/6-
    9 hours of work
    1 hour drive to RTC (Regional Training Center),
    1800 Formation, Land Navigation Class until 2300.
    23-00 Ammo Watch.
    00-01 Gear Prep/Issue/Chow.
    01-0430 Rack Ops.

6/7
    0430 Rev.
    0600 Movement by bus to Camp Parks.
    0700 Arrival at Camp Parks.
    0730 Ammo Issue.
    0800 Cordon and Search.
    1200 Chow.
    1300 Land Navigation Course.
    1700 Confidence Chamber (Gas).
    1800 Police Call (Lost Gear).
    2000 Begin Night Movement Prep.
    2200 Warning Order.
    2300 Night Patrol/Movement.
    00 Observation at ORP.
    0045 End Observation.
    01 Movement back to COC.
    02 Debrief.
    0230-0600 Rack Ops.

6/8
    0600- Rev
    07-0930- Police Call
    0930- Warning Order
    1000- Deliberate Attack/Raid
    1100- Police Call
    1200- Movement Back to RTC
    1300- Weapons Maint.
    1430- Gear/Weapon Turn in
    1500- Police Call/ RTC Field Day
    1630- Formation
    1700- 1 hour drive home
    1800- Home
    1900- Chow
    2000- Rack Ops

6/9 - 6/13 12 hour work days, Marine Net classes, work training.....

Part two-

You are stuck at your "post" until your contract is up unless you get approved for a move after 2 years as far as I know. You want travel, go active duty.

I think you should join the Air Force.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay1636 View Post

To start with Poolee, why did you join my beloved Corps? When you remember that then you will be ready to go ot boot camp! You are experiencing what is known as the "WEDDING BELL BLUES", in that you are getting those last minute "WTF" did I do thoughts!

I suggest that if you can't remember why you joined, then don't go! You will be miserable!

Dave

Rather than coming down on you, as many Marines will (you'll learn we do not like indecisiveness... it can get you killed!) I will try my best to help you work through this.

First, getting a fire science degree is a great thing if you want to be a firefighter. In the past they would take anyone off the street that could pass the tests. But, firefighter jobs are much more competitive now. If that is your true desire, then that is what you should try to do. But, you have to take into account that being a Marine reservist will likely make it more difficult for you to complete school in a timely fashion. Despite the rhetoric of the current election cycle, it is likely that we will be involved in combat operations for the foreseeable future- thus it is likely you will get to take a year off to deploy somewhere.

That said, if there is an infantry unit in the Kansas City area, and that appeals to you, then take that route. After I got off of active duty I spent time with TOW Co. (it is a strange unit, 2 platoons, each belonging to a different infantry regiment. Each section in the platoon belongs to a different battalion) It was a fun time. But at the same time, it isn't active duty. The mindset of the people, by necessity, is different. Of course, if you don't do both it won't ever seem like a difference.

Our drill schedule usually was close to what is described above. Sometimes things were different, particularly the one or two times a year when we didn't go to the field. As for changing locations, you do have to get permission to do so. I never saw anyone have a problem doing so, but it isn't promised that you can do so. Being able to maintain the same MOS is a benefit... that is something to think about.

Go Army, so you can be all you can bee...

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You are sounding like a lost ball in tall weeds....you need to make a decision and stick to it.The reserves are deploying just as much....so your chances of activation at least are still fairly high.

August is not far away...you need to either stick with the plan or give your recruiter a heads up so that your slot can be filled.

I didn't know there was such a thing as Infantry Reserve. Sounds kind of oxymoronic really. At any rate, no matter what you decide or what you are 'volun-told' you are going to do in the Marine Corps, expect to deploy, expect to fight, and most definately expect to be moved away from home. Your education oppurtunities are vast here, but the time to pursue them is limited. If you know what it is you want out there in the civilian workforce, than grab that ball and roll with it.

You made your mind up the very second you signed those papers, boy!! Now, getting all that other stuff is admirable and ambitious but don't forget...your azz belongs to the Corps for the next 4 years or however how long you signed up. So, its not like you can change your mind...ask your recruiter he'll tell you the same thing.

Thread Information