I'm a marine wife and I want to enlist
Create Post

Exclamation I'm a marine wife and I want to enlist

OK.. so I wasn't sure which forum to post this under... anyhoo...

I started dating my husband about 2 1/2 years ago and I've wanted to join the military for a while, but since he was 0311 and getting ready to deploy he said he couldn't deal with me enlisting... so I didn't...

We got married shortly after and I moved to Camp Lejeune with him. Of course then I was surrounded by the life I wanted. Yes... I know... most recruits have this glorified view of what the military life is like... but we've been married for 2 years now... and I KNOW how screwed up things can get.... but I still want to do it... i know i know... sounds corny... but I feel I need to do a civic duty. I've been volunteering with the USO... but that just isn't cutting it.

Well I brought it up to my husband yesterday that I want to enlist and he is NOT happy. He goes on terminal leave in July and gets out the end of August. He wants to be done with that part of his life, but I want to enlist.

I feel like i would regret not doing it 10 years down the road.

I'm 20 and a Junior in college.

he said he would support me no matter what... but am i being insensitive by joining when he wants to move away from that lifestyle?

We're toying with the idea of PLC, which I could go to this summer. Or finishing school and going to OSC. or... going reservists, finishing school, then finishing my last little bit in active duty... or just going straight active and finishing school online.

Anyone have some advise?

Finish school and go the officer route (that's only if you decide to become a Marine) and take it from ALOT of Vet's on here "That Lifestyle" can be alot better than the civilian road...

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak
    take it from ALOT of Vet's on here "That Lifestyle" can be alot better than the civilian road...
    Why do you say that? just wondering... we really haven't had a marriage out of the USMC... so I wouldn't know...

Quote Originally Posted by LVMY0311
    Why do you say that? just wondering... we really haven't had a marriage out of the USMC... so I wouldn't know...
    The Corporal is saying AFTER your Marine Corps career...your civilian life will be better due to your degree and experience as a Marine Corps commissioned Officer, ok? Better civilian job opportunities for a secondary career. That is, even if you plan on staying in for the full 20 or 30 years or not. Not many people do that, but its very possible. Either way...going the Officer route is within your reach because of your potential degree, ok?

Myself being a 20 year old junior in college, I feel like I can relate to you. I never had any intentions of joining the military in my life, but I was always a very strong supporter. After I started college, I realized that I NEEDED to join the Corps. I felt that it was what I was meant to do. Everyone told me not to and that I should just focus on college since I had everything going for me already, but that wasn't enough for me. The point I'm making is that if you really feel that you want to join that strongly, then you should do it. But you really need to think about it. Be realistic and realize what it will mean. It will be very hard and there will be tough times, so you have to know in your heart that it's the right thing for you.
    As for your marriage, I can also kinda relate to that. My boyfriend and I are both Marine Reservists. We both talk about going active duty a lot, but it's tough since it would mean that we could never be together. It also makes it a lot harder to be able to think about what you really want, because you have a lot of emotions about your marriage coming into play (especially since he's not supportive of you joining).
    What I would suggest is giving it some time to make sure that it's what you REALLY honestly want to do. Make sure that it's something you can handle and that you won't regret even when you have bad days. I definitely think that you should finish school before thinking about doing active duty, especially since you only have a couple of years left. As far as becoming an officer, that is a big decision. Even though deciding to join the Marines is a huge decision, deciding that you want to try to be an officer is very serious since you would be in charge of leading Marines and setting the example. It has to be something that you completely have your heart set on. In your situation, I might suggest joining the Reserves (like I did). That way, you will get a taste of the Corps, but still be able to finish college right now. You will most likely get opportunities to be deployed and go to different schools while in the reserves, and you can always switch to active duty after college. It may be a good compromise too, considering your husband doesn't want you to join.

Thank you PatriotGill422. I'm not making any decisions right now... we're going to see how this semester goes, and then decide. I know it will be hard, especially since i've been married to a marine for 2 years... i definitely don't expect it to be a fairytale life...

Idk... I'm going to keep doing my research... I'm talking to a recruiter tomorrow night... we'll see then what my options are and what I"m going to do...

If you're a reservists and in school... can they still deploy you? my husband doesn't want me to leave, because he has been deployed 3 times... understandable...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Why would you risk your marriage just cause you got a bug in your britches? You committed to him first. I'm not saying you couldn't have both if you wanted but, he's obviously not on board with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Why would you risk your marriage just cause you got a bug in your britches? You committed to him first. I'm not saying you couldn't have both if you wanted but, he's obviously not on board with it.
    No no no... I should have been more clear.... he is very supportive... he knows that I was there without hesitation for him... he is totally behind me no matter what... he's just scared about deployments and such.

I just got off the phone with him a couple of minutes ago and we just want to make sure we're making the right decision for our future...

and i don't have a bug in my britches... lmao... I've wanted to do this for a while and he knows that...

Like PatriotGirl422 said... It's something that i feel compelled to do...

Credits
    Savings
    As a reservist, in college or not, you are still deployable.
    If your husband is behind you, go for it. If you have the ability to go officer, take it. Besides the possible benefits once you are out, the financial aspect is better as a zero than enlisted.
    Another plus to you being an officer is you having been married to an enlisted Marine. You know the struggles and hardships on a marriage. You will be inclined to be more sympathetic to your Marines and there family needs than some officers straight from OCS that aren't married.

PLC sounds like a good plan.

I would definately pinish college since your so close to completing that. The officer road seems like a much better option for now and the future.

For what it is worth, get your education and then go for OCS. Life in or out of the Corps will be better. Besides, what is two more years. I joined at 22 and so did a lot of others.

Plus, it will give your husband an opportunity to see how life is outside the Corps. He may want to get back in.

there's no advice like your own advice. Make your own mind up...............

bootlace15 out

Thread Information