I do not know what I should do
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I do not know what I should do

I have been in Delayed Entry officially since May 17 of 2007 (so over a year now), and unofficially since October of 2006. I found out today that I am, in fact, open contract. It is because my previous recruiter never turned in my paperwork for my MOS choices or something like that. So even though I signed stuff back in October to choose an MOS, it never went through, and nobody caught it until now. I ship on June 9th (A little over a week from now). I had wanted to do Public Affairs, which is an MOS that there are not many of. I had filled out and signed paperwork guaranteeing me that MOS, but, I guess my old recruiter never turned it in or something like that. The point is, I am open contract, and a female, which adds problems because the majority of jobs that are open right now are male-only. I guess my question is should I suck it up and do a job that I don't like, but still have the pride of being a Marine, or should I go to college or something and join the Marines later? More than anything in the world I want to be a Marine, other wise I wouldn't have stayed in DEP so long. I am Guide at my Recruiting Station. I have worked very very hard over the past year. But, if this is how the Marine Corps actually works, then maybe it's not meant for me after all, or at least not at this point in time...I am not trying to be negative, I just need an outsider's opinion (preferably from someone who is not a recruiter...) Thanks to all advice!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Look at what is left and see if something appeals to you. If not see if you can delay shipping to get that MOS. If the paperwork was done it is around somewhere. If your recruiter is not willing to work with you on this, work up the chain of command.
    Before deciding not to ship, how important is becoming a Marine to you? Is it a major goal? Personaly I would go either way. The experience is worth it. If you don't ,it will be a thorn in your side the rest of your life. Full of what ifs and I was gonna's.
    You also have the option of a lat move at some point in your career. It may require an extension, or may have to wait till reenlistment.

My ship date can't be delayed because I have been in DEP for the maximum amount of days. And it was my old recruiter, who is no longer here as of last week, who didn't turn stuff in, not my new recruiter. I don't think I will decide to never ship, but I might decide not to ship at this time. The SNCOIC is trying to work miracles at this time, and they are all pretty frustrated to say the least. And I am also considering the lat move, but the problem is that most of the jobs that are open right now are male-only.

Have you spoken to your new recruiter about what you options really are? jrhd97 has some accurate advice. But if you really want to become a Marine...just come in...every job in the Marine Corps is needed as well as appreciated. I think you can work with your new recruiter to find a reasonable solution. And if you don't find the answer you want...go higher in the chain of command until you exhaust all options until you get what you want. Any more questions...just ask!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm a female, went in open contract and ended up playing with bombs. All they're going to do is use what you did on your ASVAB and put you somewhere that they can use you most. You could get lucky.

It's a toss of the dice either way. Even IF you get locked in a certain field, there may be a kazillion jobs IN that field. IF you get contracted for something, it's up to YOU to hold up to that contract. IF YOU fail at ANY one part (average isn't what it should be in school, weight/PFT scores, attitude), you WILL NOT get the job you contracted for NOR any enlistment money. No matter what your Recruiter OR your contract say.

The Corps expects a lot out of you to give you what they do. Go ahead and go.

Little known fact, your not legally obligated to go until the SECOUND time you swear in. Remember this is the job you are going to have for the next 4 years, so my suggestion would be if you are really haveing doubts and cant fix your contract in time dont do it.

Remember youre going to be doing this for the next 4 years. Fix it before you go in .

Don't let them play games with you like they did with me. I had a guaranteed contract that "accidently never went through" and ended up having to sign a new one the day before I shipped for a job I didn't want. They'll try to scare you into signing it at the last minute when there's nothing you can do. Be firm and tell them you're not going unless you get the job you want. I bet something will "magically" appear for you.

I am almost positive that they have extended the Delayed Entry Program's max time to be in it as well. Here's what you can do, get out of the DEP, and then tell the recruiter you will go to MEPS/bootcamp etc. immediately when he finds you a new job, believe me they can't lose you. Grow some damn balls and get what you want. They are men too, just say what you need and get it. Don't take no for an answer, you both have something to lose here

Quote Originally Posted by bgsuwoody
    Grow some damn balls and get what you want.
    Belay that last order, Amanda.

Yeah, but you get my drift...lol

Do you not have copies of what you signed?

Refuse to ship until they give you the job you want. Public Affairs is a fairly specialized field (mine actually) and there are certain screenings that they need to do for you to be accepted as a guaranteed contract. However, it's worth it.

Don't let a lazy recruiter decide your future. You won't get many choices for the first few years that you are in. Make damn sure that you make good choices walking in the door.

Also, keep in mind that the DEP is NOT an obligation to enter the military. Until you swear in at MEPS on your way to Parris Island, you're still free. No matter what they might tell you. It's not your fault that they couldn't get it right in a year of waiting. Kick the program if you need to. Get the MOS you want.

Both Officers are right.
    Don't settle for something you don't want. And where are your copies of the contracts?

Quote Originally Posted by Isrowei View Post
    Refuse to ship until they give you the job you want. Public Affairs is a fairly specialized field (mine actually) and there are certain screenings that they need to do for you to be accepted as a guaranteed contract. However, it's worth it.

Don't let a lazy recruiter decide your future. You won't get many choices for the first few years that you are in. Make damn sure that you make good choices walking in the door.

Also, keep in mind that the DEP is NOT an obligation to enter the military. Until you swear in at MEPS on your way to Parris Island, you're still free. No matter what they might tell you. It's not your fault that they couldn't get it right in a year of waiting. Kick the program if you need to. Get the MOS you want.

Well...I did all of the screening last week, and I received high recommendations and made copies of the letters of the high recommendations. However, the PAO of our recruiting district told me when I interviewed that there are no PA jobs available. She is a Captain, so I am inclined to believe her. I decided to do an MOS with Comm, which is what I had wanted when I first joined in May of 2007. If I like Comm in 4 years, I'll stay in it, however, I'll probably attempt to do a Lat move into Public Affairs. I'm a people person, and I am tired of civilians "accidently" misconstruing the truth of what really happens in the military. I appreciate all of the advice, and I leave in a week. Wish me luck!!! I hope I am making the right choices.

Thread Information