Medical condition SINCE MEPS?
Create Post

Medical condition SINCE MEPS?

Hey guys; there's a little history to this question, but I'll try to keep it short and to the point.

At MEPS there was a yes/no question regarding a certain medical condition (I'm trying to cover my azz, so I'd prefer not to list the specifics of the condition. It's not an immediate DQ.)

6 years ago I saw a doctor for what I believed at the time was this particular condition. A biopsy was taken and tests were done, but I was unable to remember whether it had been positively diagnosed or not. Obviously if there was a biopsy, there was SOME conclusion or another as to whether or not I had the condition; I just couldn't remember off the top of my head. The symptoms of this condition disappeared after a week and have never resurfaced, so it has never been something I've thought too much about.

To be certain, prior to my trip to MEPS I sent for my medical records from the office that processed me 6 years ago, however they did not arrive in time.

I went to MEPS knowing that I had THOUGHT I had this condition, knowing that I had been seen at a doctor's office for testing/treatment of this condition, but not knowing with certainty whether it had actually been diagnosed. As a result, I marked "NO" on the medical form asking if I had, or ever had, this condition.

I told the physician at MEPS that I had symptoms of this condition 6 years ago but could not recall if it was ever diagnosed. He said "6 years? And it's not an issue currently?" I replied "No," and he said "Ok, let's not make an issue of it then." So I finished processing, signed the papers and returned home.

So at this point, it is written somewhere, with my signature:
    "I have not/do not have ________ condition."

Several days later my medical records finally arrived, and as it turns out it was indeed diagnosed positive. I contacted my recruiter saying that I was in fact diagnosed with condition, and was told it was not an issue.

My question is (sorry for all of the history):

Am I now obligated to, despite what my recruiter says, report this condition during my next trip to MEPS before I ship in October? Or, having told the physician at MEPS the first time that I had suspected this condition, but was unaware of a diagnosis, am I free of obligation/in the clear?

At the time of signing my papers at MEPS, everything was true. I did was unaware of ever having this condition. But now that that's been proven incorrect, what are my obligations as far as reporting it goes? I don't want it to some day reappear, have my records pulled somehow, and get canned for a false enlistment.

A more basic form of this question is:

What do I do if I was unaware of a condition prior to my trip to MEPS, but after my processing became aware of it?

Thanks for any advice.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I AM GOING TO SCREAM!!!!!

I don't understand you guys that THINK too much! Why don't you just ask whomever took your young a$$ to the Dr?

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    I AM GOING TO SCREAM!!!!!

I don't understand you guys that THINK too much! Why don't you just ask whomever took your young a$$ to the Dr?
    It was during college when I went in for the condition. I took myself. I could not remember the diagnosis. At MEPS I said I had never had the condition because, to the best of my knowledge, it had never been diagnosed -- as it turns out, this was the wrong answer.

The issue is whether I am now obligated (legally) to report the pre-existing condition, now that I do in fact know that it was diagnosed. My recruiter has said it's not an issue, however I don't have any of that in writing, and am worried he's still just trying to fill a quota. I'm not quite sure how this constitutes "thinking too much," but if I am, it probably has something to do with the emphasis that everyone and their mother puts on the consequences of "false enlistment" during processing. I suppose I'd rather think too much than not enough though.

Credits
    Savings
    If it will make you feel better send the paperwork to your recruiter via registered mail with a letter stating what you told us. The ball will be in his court.

or

You can go to MEP's directly and ask

or

You can believe your recruiter. Keep in mind he still needs you to graduate boot camp so giving you bum scoop now will not help much.

If it really bothers you insist your recruiter check into it. For your piece of mind. Try to resolve this through him first. If not satisfied go up the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhd97
    If it will make you feel better send the paperwork to your recruiter via registered mail with a letter stating what you told us. The ball will be in his court.

or

You can go to MEP's directly and ask

or

You can believe your recruiter. Keep in mind he still needs you to graduate boot camp so giving you bum scoop now will not help much.

If it really bothers you insist your recruiter check into it. For your piece of mind. Try to resolve this through him first. If not satisfied go up the chain.
    Appreciate that, Corporal, thank you for your input.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xpaz
    I'm not quite sure how this constitutes "thinking too much," but if I am, it probably has something to do with the emphasis that everyone and their mother puts on the consequences of "false enlistment" during processing. I suppose I'd rather think too much than not enough though.
    It's a no brainer pal - tell them and you can quit thinking too much about it. If it's not an immediate DQ, why is it wasting brain space for you? Take care of it now and you won't have to THINK about it again!

Pretty simple.

Heres what you do....Shut your face. If its not a big deal , dont make it one.

Thread Information