Augmenting to active duty, importance of job going for MECEP?
Create Post

Augmenting to active duty, importance of job going for MECEP?

Had to make a pretty tough decision, going to be giving up going to UCI and the new undergrad business program (100 of 5000 applicants accepted at Irvine's prestigous graduate business school) and the 92 day program to go for active duty to see if I can cut it for MECEP. Just wondering, since it's harder to get college courses in as an infantry as opposed to other jobs, is it that detrimental to go infantry if I want to pursue MECEP? Would it hurt my chances of potentially getting accepted, or would it simply require more time spent pursuing a degree?

I understand that one's enlisted MOS isn't always going to be one's officer MOS, but I would like to, if possible, to stay in the 0300 field.

Something tells me if you were looking to attend an "undergrad business program", the 03 field is not what you want to be in...just something to think about.

As for being an 03 and having it be detrimental to MECEP...well...being an 03 is pretty much detrimental to everything, your body, your mind, your relationships haha. Some 03 cutting scores are so high or closed it may be impossible to pick up Cpl, and as a lance I highly doubt anyone taking you putting in for a MECEP package seriously, so yes, I think being an 03 might hurt or at least delay your MECEP ambitions.

Thank you very much Lance Corporal.

My recruiters have been pushing for me to pick another job in combat arms to at least give me a better chance of accumulating more credits so I would have to spend less time in MECEP.

Want college credits???

Don't join the Infantry, were too busy sitting around all day waiting for word. Get an Admin job, I heard they got pretty set hours.

If you want a college degree and you want to major in business and you want to make money and you want to be prestigious among others the 03 field is different.

Let me explain why I think my opinion matters. I am a 23 year old college graduate with a degree in political science. I felt I ****ed my life away in college taking other peoples ideas and lives and trying to make them mine. Well it just wasn't what I wanted or what I dreamed of being.

The 03 field was everything I wanted. Tough days (and I'm not ****ting some days will be over and beyond anything you can imagine) there's a limit to who you are I am defined here by how I act and how I perform not by what I was earlier. Though it doesn't hurt, my college education has gotten me nothing here, but a better preparation for life, no practical application for this type of work.

You will not pick up quick here, MECEP will be hard...even if I decide to go ECP I will have serious problems even already having the degree just because my body will be broken, I will be older than other candidates, I will probably be a Lance Corporal because it is closed almost entirely in this batallion. I may be lucky to reach a meritorious board. However rank is great, but I would take a squad leader billet over it anyday. Having a group of guys you are responsible for, teach, and perform as a team along side you is something you can almost never get in the business world

The Marine Corps is something I wouldn't give up for anything...but with weighing such decisions you have to really ask yourself if you are prepared for the Marine Corps as it actually is, or the Marine Corps you see on TV, the movies, and from your recruiter. You are lucky to have this site, but not everything is perfect here. Its great for some, and not so for others...are you really prepared for our life.

Quote Originally Posted by Ub3rmike
    Had to make a pretty tough decision, going to be giving up going to UCI and the new undergrad business program (100 of 5000 applicants accepted at Irvine's prestigous graduate business school) and the 92 day program to go for active duty to see if I can cut it for MECEP. Just wondering, since it's harder to get college courses in as an infantry as opposed to other jobs, is it that detrimental to go infantry if I want to pursue MECEP? Would it hurt my chances of potentially getting accepted, or would it simply require more time spent pursuing a degree?

I understand that one's enlisted MOS isn't always going to be one's officer MOS, but I would like to, if possible, to stay in the 0300 field.
    I think that's a mistake, Mike. If you're already admitted and you have a way of paying for it, get your college over and done, now. You can stay Reserve and still get done quicker than going active. If you're real ambition is to become an officer, do not put any more obstacles in your way.

Trust us poolee, we've been there done that, if you're set on being an officer, go to college and then join. Don't join, go to college, and then...join again. See the extra step in that?

Even if you're a strong candidate for MECEP, no one will take you seriously, because "Everyone" enlists to eventually become a mustang, the thing is, rarely does anyone actually do it.

Look at it like this, if you go to college, you will be done with it, you will try to get into OCS, and say your PFT isn't so hot, or your range score isn't the best. You will still get a commission.

However, if you enlist, you better have an almost perfect PFT, and a 235 or higher on the range, plus 4.8+ on your pros and cons, its just so much harder to apply for MECEP than it is to get into OCS after you finished college as a civilian.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bgsuwoody
    The Marine Corps is something I wouldn't give up for anything...but with weighing such decisions you have to really ask yourself if you are prepared for the Marine Corps as it actually is, or the Marine Corps you see on TV, the movies, and from your recruiter. You are lucky to have this site, but not everything is perfect here. Its great for some, and not so for others...are you really prepared for our life.
    From the mouthes of babes.

No you're the babe...lol

Go grunt, go college, go Mustang. At least thats what im doin, but obviously everyone has their different path.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeInVille
    Go grunt, go college, go Mustang. At least thats what im doin, but obviously everyone has their different path.
    Mike, you can listen to the poolee, or you can listen to the Marines (plural).

None of us are trying to steer you in the wrong, we just know what we're talking about.

Here's the Scoop

Quote Originally Posted by Ub3rmike View Post

Here is the scoop from someone going through something similar. I'm a 7 year sergeant shooting for a MECEP board right now. What you need to know is that your job field has nothing to do with your selection. It deals mainly with your scores (PFT, rifle range, PRO/CON marks, Fitreps(if you are a sergeant and above), Past awards, ASVAB score, SAT/ACT scores, ect.) Also, you ABSOLUTELY have to be able to obtain a SECRET clearance or you are automatically disqualified, or they can even separate you from the military if you apply and cannot get one. Trust me, it's a great program for people already in the Marines who did not know better, but you have to remember that you get no extra money for school in the MECEP program. Everything comes from your GI bill, Tuition Assistance from the Marine Corps (4,500 dollars a year), and any grants and student loans you can aquire to pay off the rest of your schooling. Basically what I am saying is that it is better to go to college first to get your degree if you are absolutely sure that you want to be an officer. Don't get me wrong, I love the Marines, but I would have done it differently if I had know ahead of time.

Sgt. J

Thread Information