Hey! New poolee here! - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thanks, Joe! It's good to meet all of you!
    Oh, anyone else here shipping out July 7th to PI? Maybe I'll get to meet you in person.

Quote Originally Posted by CJ Haynes
    Thanks, Joe! It's good to meet all of you!
    Oh, anyone else here shipping out July 7th to PI? Maybe I'll get to meet you in person.
    Good luck, I'm shipping out in less then 3 weeks I'm so damn amped I can't wait to go. I might see you around in a Security Forces unit

@Brown: God bless you down there! I pray He'll take you through! Believe me, when I go, I'll be relying on God to grant me strength (and I'll work really hard myself).
    I got another interesting little story about my MOS: When I first enlisted, I told SSgt Cox (my recruiter) that I wanted to be an MP. He said that would work out since my ASVAB scores were good enough, and I met the other requirements. Well, after I get back from MEPS, I asked him if there was a height requirement for MPs (seeing as how I am only 5'6 tall). He told me he had forgotten to check on that. Well, we went in his office and he checked on it, and sure enough....you have to be at least 5'7 to be an MP. So I missed it by one freakin inch!!
    I laugh about it now, but I was pretty disappointed at that time. But still, I am still very grateful to God that I have the opportunity to be a Marine at all, so it's all good....besides, former and current Marines I know always tell me that you wouldn't want to be an MP anyway (saying you may have to get your fellow Marines in trouble if they do something they aren't supposed to do).

@Brown: God bless you down there! I pray He'll take you through! Believe me, when I go, I'll be relying on God to grant me strength (and I'll work really hard myself).
    I got another interesting little story about my MOS: When I first enlisted, I told SSgt Cox (my recruiter) that I wanted to be an MP. He said that would work out since my ASVAB scores were good enough, and I met the other requirements. Well, after I get back from MEPS, I asked him if there was a height requirement for MPs (seeing as how I am only 5'6 tall). He told me he had forgotten to check on that. Well, we went in his office and he checked on it, and sure enough....you have to be at least 5'7 to be an MP. So I missed it by one freakin inch!!
    I laugh about it now, but I was pretty disappointed at that time. But still, I am still very grateful to God that I have the opportunity to be a Marine at all, so it's all good....besides, former and current Marines I know always tell me that you wouldn't want to be an MP anyway (saying you may have to get your fellow Marines in trouble if they do something they aren't supposed to do).
    Lol thats funny Haynes, MP was what I really wanted to do but my GT score was to low (missed it by 8 points). So I was in comm and then I was thinking about it and decided I wouldn't be happy so I call up Sgt Carillo and say "Hey, Sergeant. I'm about to make a 4 year commitment and I know I'm not going to be happy in comm, so I would like to postpone my shipdate until something opens up in infantry or security forces." well out of nowhere he calls me and says "Hey, theres an opening for Security Forces, BUT you'd have to leave June 23rd." so I think about for all of 2 minutes and agree and now I'm getting ready to shipout lol.

-Brown

P.S. Thanks for the prayer, I'm not much of a religious man but I have feeling that will change soon enough.

I live right in the heart of Easley, behind the new water tower and the old Buck's restaurant. My sister-in-law goes to Easley high.

Not that any of that matters, but it is nice to see someone on here from my area.

I will be contacting SSgt Cox as soon as I drop some more weight. I still have about 60lbs to go. I dropped 40 in the past 2 months. I have to get down to 227lbs to go to Meps. I want to be a MP.

I run down Pendleton every day, if you see me feel free to join me or yell something motivating to me! Im the fat guy.

-John Thornton

Quote Originally Posted by JT1987
    I live right in the heart of Easley, behind the new water tower and the old Buck's restaurant. My sister-in-law goes to Easley high.

Not that any of that matters, but it is nice to see someone on here from my area.

I will be contacting SSgt Cox as soon as I drop some more weight. I still have about 60lbs to go. I dropped 40 in the past 2 months. I have to get down to 227lbs to go to Meps. I want to be a MP.

I run down Pendleton every day, if you see me feel free to join me or yell something motivating to me! Im the fat guy.

-John Thornton
    Good to go John. Do good on the ASVAB you'll need a GT score of 100 for MP and there are no waivers avaiable for the MOS (some MOS's have a 2-3 pt waiver).

-Brown

Congrats CJ Hanyes welcome to the Poolee world ha. Thiers lots to learn here so take care and learn as much as you can. Take care.

@John: Hey! Nice to meet ya! Have you spoken with SSgt Cox already? I may be thinking of another guy...but anyways, keep it up with the weight! Believe me, you can do it! To loose the weight I lost, I put my faith in God and asked Him to help me out, and I made changes in my diet (cutting out candy, sodas, sweet tea, all that crud), drank only water (and many glasses a day), and I went out every single day to briskly walk or jog. And before long the weight dropped off! So, just stay motivated! I'm here to help if you need me, and if I see you up around Easley maybe we can go running together. May God help you loose the weight!
    @Flyboy: Yeah, I'm trying to learn as much as possible. I think it's great that there is a site like this where all us poolees can come to learn more about what to expect from boot camp and how to prepare ourselves. Lol, I just got in from jogging for 30 minutes and doing ab exercises.

Yeah, I actually went and talked to him at noon today. He is really good at what he does...boosted my confidence in getting through to boot. I was worried about a few things, but he seems sure that we can get them straightened out. He is a real stand up guy. Of course, he is a Marine.

Sounds good about the running...I told him I was going to try to get to one of the PT days. It is hard for me right now, because I take care of my son at night, so I just push myself in the mornings.

By the way, your post on here about SSgt Cox pushed me over the edge to go ahead and call him. I am very glad I didn't wait until I lost the weight, because he motivates me just talking to him. Plus, as an added bonus, he is married, and he said his wife would gladly talk to mine to let her know how things go as a Marine wife! So, thank you, Poolee Haynes.

Quote Originally Posted by JT1987
    Yeah, I actually went and talked to him at noon today. He is really good at what he does...boosted my confidence in getting through to boot. I was worried about a few things, but he seems sure that we can get them straightened out. He is a real stand up guy. Of course, he is a Marine.

Sounds good about the running...I told him I was going to try to get to one of the PT days. It is hard for me right now, because I take care of my son at night, so I just push myself in the mornings.

By the way, your post on here about SSgt Cox pushed me over the edge to go ahead and call him. I am very glad I didn't wait until I lost the weight, because he motivates me just talking to him. Plus, as an added bonus, he is married, and he said his wife would gladly talk to mine to let her know how things go as a Marine wife! So, thank you, Poolee Haynes.
    You are most welcome, John! I pray for you that you can do what you need to! I know what you mean about SSgt Cox, he is a stand up guy. It's thanks to him that I have been as motivated as I have been. He really gave me encouragement when I was struggling with my pull ups, and when I went through some emotional problems this year, he was always there to listen and give advice. I couldn't ask for a better recruiter.
    But anywho...did you tell him about me? Lol, if you enlist, maybe I could get the ref. credit (I'm still working toward Pfc!)! I hope to see you around, John!

EDIT: Before I forget, John, we start PT back again next Tuesday. Be at the Easley office by five o clock. We then will be taken to the Anderson office by SSgt Cox so we can PT with those guys (and gals).

Yeah, I did tell him your name, because I don't have any friends joining, and I knew it would help you out a little. I will give him a call and make sure he knows to give you the ref. credit.

I can probably have my mom-in-law watch my son Tuesday, so hopefully I can come along.

CJ...Make sure when the Chaplain ask for Lay Readers in Church that first Sunday that you volunteer.

Quote Originally Posted by drillinstructor
    CJ...Make sure when the Chaplain ask for Lay Readers in Church that first Sunday that you volunteer.
    Aye aye, Master Sergeant! I was meaning to ask if they took volunteers for lay men. I thought at first that they randomly picked people.
    Lol, the funny thing is, other Marines always tell me never to volunteer for anything.

Aye aye, Master Sergeant! I was meaning to ask if they took volunteers for lay men. I thought at first that they randomly picked people.
    Lol, the funny thing is, other Marines always tell me never to volunteer for anything.
    I've heard quite the contrary from Master Sergeant above; guides, platoon leaders and scribes tend to get promoted.

Thread Information