If you carry a pistol, do you have a round chambered?? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Decock or carry a Glock.

S/F
    Finger

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Funny story. In Tennessee I was hired to help a man build a metal barn. After a few days of getting to know ya he told me he was originally from Texas. I asked him what kind of pistol do you have. "How do you know I have a pistol?", "Well you just told me you are from Texas!"

After lunch he brings out a slick 357 chromed beauty and we bust some caps. He starts to get a little upset because I am out shooting him with his own weapon. That's when I tell him about the Front Sight Post and chasing the bulls eye.

He corrects his aim and sight picture and starts nailing everything he points at. He's happy as hell with that basic USMC tip.

I always have a roundchambered, except when I carry a revolver. Then I let the hammed rest on an empty chamber and carry 5 rounds.

What's the point of carrying for personal protection if you're not ready to dance?

Jim, I just got licensed my permit to carry and conceal in PA by my local Sheriff's office, I have a .357 revolver...I never thought of letting the hammer rest on an empty chamber and only carry 5 rounds....what's the safety advantage? hmmmm curious

Quote Originally Posted by CplKJSpevak
    Jim, I just got licensed my permit to carry and conceal in PA by my local Sheriff's office, I have a .357 revolver...I never thought of letting the hammer rest on an empty chamber and only carry 5 rounds....what's the safety advantage? hmmmm curious
    SOME revolvers have been known to discharge if the hammer is struck externally.

You could half cock the pistol. But I dont own or carry any revolvers.

I was thinking maybe that was it...If that's the case it's a gamble of Be CAREFUL or come up one short in a gun fight....Actually, that' why I bought my boy a hammerless .38, and I've considered going with the shrouded hammer on my next S&W...

I think modern revolvers have fixed the problem, but for some old habits die hard!

I really like the safety system on my new Taurus, if you drop it w/a round in the chamber it won't accidently go off! When the safety is on It actually has a "hammer block", it's pretty cool! It also has a child lock, I don't like that because you have to unload & load the pistol to turn it on with a key, and if you forget that the pistol is loaded or the hammer cocked you will ruin your pistol, so I keep it disengaged! My boy is grown so that's not a problem! I myself carry 15 round mag in my pistol itself & an extra 15 rounder in the pouch! You just never know! So, I carry 31 rounds w/me altogether! I'm a little heavy on the ammo but what the hey! Walk softly & carry a semi - auto pistol!(Filled w/ammo!)
    Semper Fi!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    pack a 41 ruger mag with all 6 full..new rugers have safty misfire thingy that wont let the hammer hit the fireingpin lessen its full cock and finger pulling trigger..i also use old styel calvery holster with leather flap that covers all parts..also keeps it clean from brush moss ect...its a single action...after being charged by a 250 lb black bear starting at about 8 yards i find that i can put enough rounds threw her... i wont carry a rifle with round chamberd in scavert on my horse though....thats a whole diferant story...horse usualy lets me know when deer or elk are around in time to get off tie the horse and get the rifle ready...know a fella that packed a 30-30 lever action he was heading back into his hunting camp opening day...spotted a nice buck and thought camp meat got off his horse pulled the 30-30 chamberd a round as the buck went over the hill..so he clicked the hammer to safe and re scaverted the rifle mounted and rode on..came to a creek and his horse got an urge to jump... bang ...out of the saddel he went looking back and seeng his pack horse running back down the trail...his saddle hores stood...so he went to get up and fell on his head...couldnt figure what was wrong..started to get up again and same thing...so looking down he saw the blood on his pant leg...he rolled up his chaps then pant leg and the calf of his right leg fell on the ground..the big tenden that holds it to the back of the heel was still holding ...he picked it up an put it in place and pulled his pant leg down over it to hold it in place and was trying to figure out how to get back on his horse when his hunting partner came up the trail leading his run away pack horse...make a longer story short..er...he forgot to rolle his chapes down..Doc said that was what kept him alive worked like a tourniquet...they was a long time gettin to the Doc.....it missed the ack horse .. but it musta been loud in his face

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    A double action pistol revolver will roll to the next chamber when the trigger is pulled so resting the hammer on an empty chamber is moot and much safer way to carry. The only downside is that you are only carrying 5 rounds loaded. An expert with a pistol can put a round between the upper lip and below the nasal passages. That gun fight will end before you even worry that you only have 5 rounds.

Well Sgt. an individual with that kind of talent probably won't try to carjack me!.......the folks that concern me, shoot with their palms facing the ground.

CplK,

It is a safety issue. If, by some chance, you dropped a revolver carrying 6 rounds it could discharge. That is if the hammer hits first.

One of the most famous lawmen in the west had this happen one time when he sat in a chair and his revolver fell onto the floor and accidentally fired. It is not only embarrassing, it could have deadly consequences.

I don't care what safety features are put into a revolver, I don't trust a six sooter with a full cylnder.

round in the chamber, hammer back and slide lock on. The action of drawing the pistol includes wiping the slide lock off with the thumb as the weapon comes up to the target. I carry a 1911 (one of three) on a daily basis and I am very comfortable with this method. Having carried a 1911 for 40+ years now adds a lot to the comfort factor. Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As I do not carry a personal sidearm I can only speculate and offer conjecture. Marine Corps training we carried semi auto pistols .45 or 9mm with an empty chamber. The act of drawing, pulling the slide to the year (thus cocking the weapon) then acquiring a target; became so natural that there was nearly nothing to be gained by already having a round in the chamber. Muscle memory would almost guarentee that the round in the chamber would be ejected upon draw. That is how we trained ... draw slide aim fire. There was never the sound of the hammer falling on an empty chamber unless the round itself was a dud.

Now it could be argued that having one in the chamber and a full magazine gains you one additional round in a gun fight. I don't have a good argument against that.

I recently watched a training video produced by the Navy.

It showed sentries going on duty with one in the pipe.

I don't remember going on duty with a round chambered.

I do now because things happen so fast, and it has been so long since I really practiced drawing, chambering etc. that I don't trust myself to be as quick as I used to be.

With a weapon like the .45 or the 9mm, I don't see much of a problem.

Revolvers are different to my mind. But, then again, I only play with older revolvers (WWI) and the newer ones might be different. That seems to be true from what I've read on some of the posts.

Thread Information