If you carry a pistol, do you have a round chambered?? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    When I started at the dept. I was with we had .38's and I was told in no uncertain terms that, this isn't the wild west, you will have 6 rounds in your pistol at all times. I know from shooting a 44 black powder pistol that 5 rounds in the pistol started with those types of revolvers, where a capped chamber could easily fire if the hammer receives a blow. But with a double action I don't think the hammer can move foward under a blow because of the double action mechanism. I think the hammer is locked in its place by the action's mechanisms. I am only guessing at this, I'm not a fan of revolvers myself.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    MY DEER HUNTING 44MAG.SMITH 629 ALMOST 8",I CARRY FULLY LOADED SIX IN.PLUS I CAN NAIL A WATERMELLON WITH THAT BAD BOY AT OVER A 100 YRD'S.MY 45ACP. I CARRY AT THE SAME TIME CONCEALED,4 THE TWO LEGGED VARMITS,ONE UP THE SNOOT.

Empty chamber...full casket!

para-ordnance

I've been going around this problem for years. Once it gets in your head it's hard to get out. Iwent so far as to get rid of my Glock.First i carried cold and used the Isreali draw, then i traded to Springfield Xd-40.Now i think i found the perfect answer. The Para-Ordnacne Carry-12 LDA. it's 1911 style with 12 rounds double stacked .45acp with the sweetest double action trigger pull i've ever used. You carry cocked and locked, but the hammer is down. If you carry concealed, i would strongly suggest you try this gun. oorah!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Talking Hey Cowboy Try And Keep Alive In The Concrete Jungle

WHEN I RIDE MY IRON PONY,THROUGH THE ALLEY WAY'S OF CHICAGO;JUST LOOKING 4 WHATEVER COMES MY WAY.I CARRY MY MAC.10,UNDER MY PLAID SHIRT;MADE A BIGG CITY JUNGLE SLING OUTTA BRAIDED PARACHUTE CORD.CARRY 4 EXTRA STIC MAG'S CASE I RUN INTO SOME CHIT IN MY SADDLE BAG'S!!!

If you carry, do you have a round chambered

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Oliver View Post
    I always have a roundchambered, except when I carry a revolver. Then I let the hammed rest on an empty chamber and carry 5 rounds.

What's the point of carrying for personal protection if you're not ready to dance?
    Jim, I strongly agree with your second paragraph!!!!!! I hear a lot of people talk about carrying their weapons unloaded--------I can't see going to a gun fight with an empty weapon.

I have three Glocks and I carry all of them, when carrying concealed, FULLY loaded (one in chamber) and have the regular law enforcement magazines (15 rounds) or the big one that holds 29 rounds!!!!!!! I also have a couple .357's, a 44 Special, a 38 special (revolvers) and a couple of KelTec semi-autos (9mm and 380). Plus got a Cobray M11 with a couple of the 30 round magazines. The Cobray is more for plinking because I can't hit the side of a barn with it (but as my Grandson says, it looks cool Grandpa).

SEMPER FI,

The only time I ever carried a weapon without a round in the chamber was in the MP's. Five rounds in the mag none in the chamber. After I got into CID we carried S&W with 6 rounds (if I didn't trust the safety features I wouldn't carry it). Later I served in the Office of Special Investigation, initially we were armed with compact 1911A1's. Policy was, round in the chamber weapon in half cock, which was how I carried my 45 in 'Nam. We later went to Berettas, and then Sigs, always with a round in the tube.

OOHRAH

I missed you stating in what enviroment would / should you chamber a round ?

In combat, without a doubt....chamber it. In Malls, no way ! In back streets and bars..........chamber it ! Depends where you are located. Safety states no way
    but whose safety is it ?

SF.........>Chuck

Credits
    Savings
    It doesn't matter where I am. When it is concealed nobody knows I have it so no biggy. With the factory set 8 lbs trigger pull, I never modified it just got used to it, nobody is going to fire it by accident.
    Safety is me, the carrier and my trigger finger. So there is one in the chamber every time I carry. So is the old ladies.

When to carry with round in chamber

Quote Originally Posted by CBS View Post
    I missed you stating in what enviroment would / should you chamber a round ?

In combat, without a doubt....chamber it. In Malls, no way ! In back streets and bars..........chamber it ! Depends where you are located. Safety states no way
    but whose safety is it ?

SF.........>Chuck
    Chuck, In some areas of Kansas City the term "combat" applies!!!!!!! As stated previously, I carry cocked, locked, and ready to roll!!!! HE HE

SEMPER FI,

Ole Sarge, are you a law officer? If not, why do you go into those areas of Kansas City unless your job requires it?

BTW, the same applies to Omaha. Anyone who voluntarily drives through the Ames Avenue and State Street areas in North Omaha needs to have their head examined. I personally don't need to complicate my life by plugging some dork just because I decided of my own free will to tempt the fates.

crate

Crate.
    Am retired law enforcement. I work parttime as a government contract security officer and my job, at times, requires me to drive through, and work, in some undesireable areas of Kansas City. No, I don't, as you stated, tempt the fates!!!!!!!!
    But, in Kansas City, you don't have to be in "undesireable" areas. Just the other day a lady was attacked by four (4) young punkasses and they TRIED to carjack her BMW at a mall in Overland Park, Ks (suburb of KC). They fired a couple rounds at her vehicle BUT she locked her doors and rammed their "stolen" vehicle a couple times before the punks ran away. AND a couple months ago a lady in a shopping mall just North of where I live had a couple punkasses take her car.
    I offen think why can't these punkasses try this **** on someone CARRYING?????? Because they are ****ing cowards!!!!

SEMPER FI BROTHER,

I was D.O.A. Guard, Us and the Army M.P.'s did not carry one in the chamber, hated that, someone drives up to the gate and pulls a gun what do you do say wait till I load mine please

Didn't mean any offense, Sarge, and I hope you didn't take any. I was just curious 'cause I'm not that far from KC.

I had a job once as an outside salesman for an auto parts company. I had an account I called on at 52nd and Ames in Omaha. At various times, there was a gal shot in a Goodrich Dairy store a block west, (a dairy store, for Pete's sake!) a station attendant shot in a service station a block south, etc.

Another salesman of ours set up an account at 42nd and Bedford, right in the worst part of Omaha, and then wanted me to service the account. I told him if he wanted to do business in that part of town to have at it, but leave me out of it. When he'd make a sales call, he'd lock his van in front of the place, knock on the door, someone would look out of a peephole and unlock the door. When he went in, they'd lock the door behind him. Then reverse the process on the way out and he'd hope his van was still there.

In my current job as an insurance inspector, I get into some shaky areas, but the company has a written policy against an inspector having a firearm on his person or in his vehicle while on the job. But---I can refuse any situation if I don't like the looks of it.

Thread Information