Anyone else the first in their family?
Create Post
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Anyone else the first in their family?

I always hear from people "well my dad/mom was in *insert service branch here* so they were supportive, my cousins were too, as was my uncle, etc"

For me it isn't quite like that. The only person in my family to have done any military is my uncle, he did 20+ years in the Coast Guard. No one else has done or probably even thought about military service. I have no family military tradition to uphold no cousins who I've looked up to as a kid as that cool guy in uniform.

It seems every family has at least a number of people who were or are military. There is only one in mine (my uncle) and if he didn't get called up for the draft back in Nam there probably would have been no military in my family.

I suppose it will be my job to start the military tradition if I have a family in the future. Maybe one day my kids or nephews or nieces will look up to me as some kind of superman and want to follow in my footsteps. I don't want to be one of those "son, once you turn 18 you're going in the military!" people though.

I might havegotten a little sidetracked in the last paragraph, but is anyone else in my position with a family with little to no military background to it?

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Darkgreen 0311

My father was in the Army. I am the very first Marine in the history of my family. The Army for me or any other branch was never an option. My ex-wife's nephew he joined the Marines a few years ago and now calls me his brother. I hope i started a tradition i have no sons but a daughter and if i had sons i would want them to join to carry on that tradition.

Semper Fi 4 Life
    Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

One of my grandfathers was a squid and my other grandfather was in the Army Air Corps. I will be the first Marine in my family!

Im going to be the first Marine in my family but both my grandfathers were in the Navy. My cousin is a linguist for a Army Special Forces team and his father is Navy SWCC.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Plenty of the men in the family were in. I was (still am) the ONLY female in the family to join.

My family is all Marine Corps

My Grandpa missed WWII because he was in medical school, but went to China after for two years in the Navy Reserves. My uncle was in the Marine Corps during Vietnam. Those two are exceptions in my family, just like I am.

None of my family, with the exception of my uncle has even spoken to me about enlisting. They are all super left-wing and never shut up about President Bush, so I can safely assume what they think of my decision.

My Grandpa was a SGT in the Marine Corps, then he got out and did 24 years in the air force before he passed away. Had two uncle in the Army as well.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My close aged brother joined the Marines, But got kicked in boot 'cause of bad knees. My older brother lost his Army career over broken ankles in a jeep accident. I am the first to complete,,,,, 'Sept for Gen. John Stark,,,,, Commander of Breeds Hill, Boston, Long, Long ago.

I will be the first in my immediate family. The military is completely foreign to my brothers, sister, and parents. Some of their views on it are actually funny to hear. My grandfather served in the Philippines during WWII with the Army as an Engineer. For him it was either that or prison, so that is the only small military tradition that I know of in my family.

Okay guys DON'T LAUGH! My first cousin couldn't make it through the friggin Air Force boot camp........and OUR Uncle got kicked out of the Navy for being a ****bird....their civilian paths reflect their service.....My Dad was four years active NAVY, His dad was drafted Army Air Corps both served faithfully,.I'm first Devil Dog vet...my son will be second......BTW your all a bunch of great people on this site, like minded people....I deal with ****birds all day at work..

I am the first one to enlist in the United States Marine Corps, and all my uncles and cousins had to go to the Korean Army because it is mandatory.

My great grandfather was Navy in WWII (communications), grandfather in the Air Force in Vietnam (recovered downed planes), great uncle in Greek Army, uncle in Greek Special Forces, cousin in the Army as infrantry, and me a USMC hopeful

My grandfather was a Zero in the AF for four years during Korea stateside. Apart from that, I have an uncle (married in) who was in the Israelli special forces in the late 70s early 80s and lost his eye to grenade shrapnel.

I will be the only Marine I know of in my family, immediate or extended.

Mike

I don't have any family military history either, other than my cousin who is in the Navy since last year.

Thread Information