GI rights question
Create Post

GI rights question

I am four months away from my 18th brithday, but would like to be enlisted ASAP. My parents HATE my decsion, they feel I could be doing a lot better things in my life than joining the Marines. A more specfic concern that they keep voicing towards me is that they fear I will change my mind while in DEP. I let my recruiter know this, and he said I ought to have a look at GI Rights. He told me that my contract does not offically begin until I am at boot, and that its actually quite easy to get out of DEP. If all of this is true, I present a very good argument to my parents, and can hopefully get their co-sign to go to MEPS. So I guess my real question is, anyone know GI rights really well/ know people who have gotten out of DEP and is what my recruiter saying 100% true?

Thank you ahead of time for all responses.

Yes, you can get out of the DEP anytime until the day you ship to boot camp. Whether or not anyone will give you an easy time about it is a different story...

You can get out of DEP, if you have no honor or integrity and don't mind knowing that you broke an oath that you took of your own free will.

Unless you're planning to ship out in the next 4 months, why does this matter? You can wait til your 18 and then sign the contract yourself.
    There is hardly any benefit to being enlisted asap.

The only reason I would like to be enlisted ASAP is that my recruiter let me know the new infantry slots open up in late september, and they are given on the basis of who enlisted first.

And to the above posts, thank you for the info. I know I am headed to boot, but that information will really help in convincing my parents. I would never break that oath.

Dosent matter if they open up in september or in 5 years, if the contract that you sign at the time isnt 03xx your not guarenteed infantry... seriously kid why not wait a couple of extra months so that your not ****ed off with your job for 4 years?

Thread Information