Civilain life SUCKS!!! - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    For generations men can't wait to get out of the Corps and enjoy the freedom they served for only to find that life is expensive and opportunities for success are puzzling and often seem unobtainable...so whats a guy to do. Go back in the Corps or some other branch of service, it's all i know and i'll be taken care of.

All of us were civilians long before we were Marines and most adjust again and inevitably will need to. It doesn't get any easier finding a new life and career as you age.

--->Dave[/quote]

Your half right and half wrong on that account, in my case anyway. Yes, after I got out I found the skills of a rifleman to be unuseful in the 1st civ div and therefore was a bit outside my element. To add to that, the economy in RI was in recession before Carter got into the White House. And with his help it wasn't any better when I got out. So I almost re-upped for the airwing, but then thought I'd like to do something other than train for something I might not see. Ergo the Coast Guard for me. Real time missions. (Really ****ed off one MC recruiter who had all the papers drawn up.) Which leads to where your wrong, in my personal case anyway.
    I was a civilian before the Corps for all of 1 month. Can't really consider a person living off the paycheck of the folks as a bonafied civilian. Graduated high school in June and was on the bus to PI by July. So the fact that I had no experiance as a civvy before the Corps could very well be the reason I went back to the "tit", as you put it. I returned to that which I knew more about at the time.

Even after I got out of the CG I didn't really stray far from the herd, as my last carreer was as a state marshal. But by then it was the only logical choice with all that other stuff behind me.

Quote Originally Posted by SlingerDun
    I figure it's critical that such an important topic maintain a sharp edge, avoid fluff and cut right through the jingo. Hell other than those who cash in on duty, last i heard we all gotta be civilians someday.

Believe it or not my last post was not isolating anybody. I tend to generalize on forums perhaps influenced from time spent as a coach and clinician in front of a mob. No i was just borrowing this post to stir up the pot, why?

For generations men can't wait to get out of the Corps and enjoy the freedom they served for only to find that life is expensive and opportunities for success are puzzling and often seem unobtainable...so whats a guy to do. Go back in the Corps or some other branch of service, it's all i know and i'll be taken care of.

Well i think thats fear talkin BS, motherin up to a big warm military tit. All of us were civilians long before we were Marines and most adjust again and inevitably will need to. It doesn't get any easier finding a new life and career as you age.

--->Dave

Every Friday, myself and two other Marines with whom I grew up with head out to our favorite bar to touch base.

From the moment we belly up to the bar, we talk endlessly about the Corps. We talk about the platoon daddys we had that made our lives hell. We talk about the times we had in Iraq, or out on libo.... Im only 30, and yet I feel like the old man at the park feeding pigeons. Talking about a life thats over.

You are right about wanting badly to get out from the day you set foot on the yellow footprints, but something tells me that things are different for Marines on their second enlistment.

As far my personal situation goes, Its not a matter of the "tit" of .gov pay. I can earn some money. I have skills and opertunities. I am still going to dip my toe into the LEO community. But the fact remains that I really liked the Corps, and even if I dont go back I will miss it.

I think my wife understands, but she will need to make her own decisions before I pull the trigger.

But thanks for the critisim slinger. Its actually good to be forced into evaluating your position to ensure there are no flaws.

The Marine Corps needs warm bodies now in the worst way, being out 8 months is nothing, if you have a good reenlistment code they will take you back in. Depending on your MOS will dictate if any bonus is given. Good luck.

SF Jack

I don't think I ever really looked forward to getting out...I looked forward to not deploying from my wife and 3 year old again.....My 3 year old son is now 15 and just joined the Young Marines...He want's in the worst way to be an 0311 when he goes in a couple of years.....Semper Fi Brothers!

Civilian Life

Some who post should really think about what they say. Just because someone wants to go back in doesn't mean they didn't have a plan or that they can't handle civilian life. That is such BS. I got out and got a great job making over 60K a year. I was a 0311 so my skills didn't exactly transition but I made due and found a good job. With that said, everyday I still regret getting out and wish I had stayed in.

The Corps is part of me and has always been so one way or the other people feel the need like I do to have it in them and live it. I meet with my Prior Service Recruiter on Wednesday to start my package for the reserves. I may not be able to go full active, but I will be able to satisfiy my need to still be part of the Corps.

I think we all think this way and some of us are too damn scared to pursue it either by going full active or reserves because they don't want to give up there new found life and priviledges.

I still say go with what you feel is right for you. Otherwise you will regret it like so many others.

Keep me posted.

If you are concerned.....

about remaining with your family civil service may be a better alternative for you. I have been working civil service for the DoD for many years, and will retire in about another 5 years. Check out the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) website.

SF, Preacher

Quote Originally Posted by cucinae5
    Just because someone wants to go back in doesn't mean they didn't have a plan or that they can't handle civilian life.
    Thats right and most everybody had a plan before they get out___ 'well i'm gonna kick back and relax for awhile and enroll in the hometown CC and look for a job'___remember hearing that plan? it was common, and the topic of a transition lecture a Major pinned me down with after he offered me a chair, cigarette and informed me that work for welders and laborers on the Alaska pipeline was over. No way, sir! Damn! Man i was ready to hitch hike there if need be. So, you got another plan Mims? perhaps one you researched a little better?

I generalize about individual plans of course and what a better place to do so then a thread thats so far received over 1200 hits.

When a 'plan' disintegrates perhaps it was ill prepped and hatched or wasn't really much of plan at all or the timing was off or out dated or my loan fell through or.......then civilian life gets tough to handle and desperate. Going on the dole and sleeping wherever your least likely to get harrased ain't near as comforting as sharing a hole with MRE's and Marines. I lived in my vehicle for two years and with that "life" hopelessness and despair can bare down on and individual like center mass gravity. It has to be constantly kept in check.

That is such BS
    Damn right it is, Hard boiled BS. Not many recently discharged Marines find a great job that pays well and doesn't whittle away and torture the body. This topic aint no joke and it doesn't help a man with his life decisions by playing cheerleader
    Some who post should really think about what they say
    4 sure I've had plenty of time to think, and about planning. Even made a study and habit of it ranging from geographically scheduling weeks of shoeing appointments and council with the Edward Jones rep. How i'm gonna cover fishable Steelhead water on the Clackamas or Sandy and whether i will open with 1.e4 or 1.d4 at the next chess tournament. Of course im ready to adjust instantly and the best conceived plans can founder but not as likely as the weaker unprepared plan.

I think we all think this way and some of us are too damn scared to pursue it either by going full active or reserves because they don't want to give up there new found life and priviledges
    For real? Thats generalizing right?

--->Dave

Skillits,
    I'm just like you. I loved the Corps. Then I went and got married and for the first 3 years of my marriage I was gone for over 2 of them. It was really tough on my wife and I decided to get out. I started out roofing and that was back-breaking work for little money. I eventually got into law-enforcement and became a cop. In your original post you said something about sticking w/ the professionals. Now I'm sure it depends on were you go, but I feel no less a professional as a cop then I did as a Marine. I will admit the job is different and it takes getting used to. Also the toys can be less exciting as you said, but a lot of what you did as a Marine can help you as a cop. There surely are things where you will have an advantage, such as weapons handling and defensive tactics. If you do decide to go into law-enforcement you can still be a professional and do a job that matters. Just my thoughts.

I just saw this and couldn't disagree more.

Civilian Life >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> USMC LIFE

I spent 4 years in the Corps back in the late 50s and I had my short-timer calander.I couldn't wait to get out.I was an air-craft crewchief and flew every day .I was a corporal making 145 dollars a month plus flight pay which was another 50 dollars .Anyway I got out and was lucky enough to get a job in an aircraft factory in Cleveland ,Ohio..making 10 times what I was making in the Corps.Plus I didn't have to stand Inspections.I love the Corps now but never looked back..

Sent to fast.

Quote Originally Posted by cball View Post
    I spent 4 years in the Corps back in the late 50s and I had my short-timer calander.I couldn't wait to get out.I was an air-craft crewchief and flew every day .I was a corporal making 145 dollars a month plus flight pay which was another 50 dollars .Anyway I got out and was lucky enough to get a job in an aircraft factory in Cleveland ,Ohio..making 10 times what I was making in the Corps.Plus I didn't have to stand Inspections.I love the Corps now but never looked back..
    I was going to add,I had what they called "a critical MOS "at that time and the last month of my 4 years I made Sgt. and They offered a 2 thousand dollar shipping over bonus..I still left..

Thread Information